• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What would it take for USF to play on NYE?

lucky for us NIU just tool the lead over WMU so that is one tiebreaker (and tidy piece of the puzzle) that's holding up. ESPN2 atm 

Thinking that a WMU win gets toledo back into the picture a bit as NIU would be at 2 conf losses with WMU still playing Toledo to close the season. They are all in the same division 

Correct. If WMU comes from behind and wins this, then the MAC West Division would be the winner of next week's Toldeo/WMU game.

Edited by JimUSFSig

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

In addition to winning out and having Temple lose... then beating Houston/Navy... I think we need:

Southern Miss or Maybe LA Tech to win C-USA.  I think WKU and Marshall might stay ahead of USF. Maybe.

Western Michigan to win MAC. Toledo and maybe Northern Illinois would remain ahead of USF.  So might Bowling Green if they defeat Toledo.

New Mexico or San Diego State to win MWC.   I think Air Force and Boise State would stay ahead of USF.

I don't think the Sun Belt team would get ahead of USF.

So it will take quite a bit of help to make happen.

While the media reports it one way, you don't have to be a conference champion to make the access bowl. The committee can pick a higher ranked team.

A 3 loss USF team will have a really tough time, but anything is possible

Edited by Joe

While the media reports it one way, you don't have to be a conference champion to make the access bowl. The committee can pick a higher ranked team.

Any media that is reporting it as highest ranked team is WRONG.  For example, here is an article from ESPN...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14156821/college-football-playoff-predictions-clemson-tigers-notre-dame-fighting-irish-alabama-crimson-tide-ohio-state-buckeyes-semifinals

The relevant part (emphasis added):

The highest-ranked conference champion from a Group of 5 conference is guaranteed a spot in a New Year's Six bowl, so No. 16 Navy probably would face No. 10 Baylor in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl.

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

Earlier I posted an email that I received back from the AAC commissioner of football confirming that any G5 team being considered for the Access Bowl had to be a conf champion.   

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

With more teams dropping and it looking like all of the G5 conference champs will have 3 losses, the probability is going up by the day.  Looks like the MAC will have a 3 loss champ (Toledo probably won't even make CG), MWC will have at least a 3-4 loss champ, and I'm not even worried about the Sun Belt.  If La Tech or S. Miss wins CUSA, watch out, we're going to the Peach Bowl if we win conf.  You heard it here first.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

AAC Championship game - USF vs Navy or Houston? Your choice and why?

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

AAC Championship game - USF vs Navy or Houston? Your choice and why?

At this point, it would have to be USF over Navy. First, Navy would have beaten Houston head-to-head, they are currently higher rated, and we would be avenging one of our 4 losses on the season. Navy would likely be around #10-12 in the nation at that point (given the top 15 match ups that will have taken place the last two weeks of the season). Either way, Navy or Houston, it would be a big win.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

With more teams dropping and it looking like all of the G5 conference champs will have 3 losses, the probability is going up by the day.  Looks like the MAC will have a 3 loss champ (Toledo probably won't even make CG), MWC will have at least a 3-4 loss champ, and I'm not even worried about the Sun Belt.  If La Tech or S. Miss wins CUSA, watch out, we're going to the Peach Bowl if we win conf.  You heard it here first.

The only two from the MWC that scare me are Boise St. and Air Force. Their name recognition and national following will be enough for the powers that be to keep us out and let them in to the Fiesta Bowl.