• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FIRE ANTIGUA!!!!!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

I actually like the Harlan hire, and think he has done an above average job so far, but the blind support of everything he does is out of control.

I am in the minority but I don't think Wollard did a god awful job, he did many good things while at USF.

Now from the beginning I did not like the COA hire, I hope he proves me wrong but I have seen very little from him to this point. I would have kept Heath another year.

So would I  .... but we didn't and you move on, for the most part. I like the COA hire partially because it was the first time USF has done this for MBB and because of his pedigree. Like has been mentioned, the defections hurt because it severely hindered the rebuilding process started by Stan. Calling for his head after 1 2/36 years is, for the lack of a better word, just plain stupid.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Now from the beginning I did not like the COA hire, I hope he proves me wrong but I have seen very little from him to this point. I would have kept Heath another year.

This sounds like the boy whose best friend moves away, and when the new kid moves in, the boy hates him because he's not his best friend.  

Give COA a chance to make it work.  Heath's gone, he's not coming back.  Nothing that can be done about that anymore.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  707
  • Days Won:  1

I have been a optimist for COA pretty much since I signed up for the forum. He acknowledged there was coaching issues and he needs to get a better hold on it. In watching the game, Peters looked stiff (potentially still bothered by his back), we don't have two of our young talents out there yet (Santos and Da Silva), Cousins looked slightly better, McMurray had some fire moments but missed a lot too and we couldn't buy a bucket. I saw someone say that Morillo asked for the final shot and so he got it, the whole "someones got to step up" thing, but Morillo likes to shoot the ball. It doesn't seem to be about stepping up for him. It is about him wanting to shoot the ball because thats what he does. This year's struggles are very similar to a first year coaches struggles. Perry missed most of last season and is getting comfortable on the court again. Peters, Nunez, and McMurray are in their first games in the system with McMurray also being a Freshman. Our four carry-overs are Morillo (likes the 3 even when sometimes it doesn't like him), Zeigler (athletic as all get out but still translating that to the court), Cousins (can be lazy and doesn't seem to be quite cerebral on the court), and Guerrero (who I feel like I didn't see on the court as much as I was expecting). A great many of the issues above are out of Antigua's control. Especially with the guy we all expected to help bring a lot of this together (Holston) is out with an ACL tear.

I am not excusing a loss against NJIT, it hurt bad to see that loss. But it is going to take more than two games to get these kids where they need to be. 

Personal preference for starting lineup (Peters, McMurray, Nunez, Perry, Guerrero) with Z first off the bench and Morillo after. I guess Cousins will be needed at some point too..... but we have to win a few games so we don't look like too much of a chore to new recruits. I just hope we can keep Baxter.  

I just hope we can keep Baxter.  

You know he signed, right?

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,403
  • Days Won:  5

This team will miss AC a lot this year. Its quite evident down the stretch in both games so far. His basketball smarts, controlling the game and leadership is missing. 

I actually like this team. Lots of talent. Just need some smarts, leadership and a chance to gel. 

I actually think alot like you do my change in the starting lineup would be replace Bo for Peters...at least until he gets healthy.  Bo seems the only one who hustles and rebounds, why we are such a poor rebounding team puzzles me.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Like several on here I thought firing Heath was a poor decision. I believe we would have been in the upper half of AAC this year with all of those young guys in their JR and SR years. However, the decision was made and Antigua was forced to build, really from scratch. 

It looks like he has raw talent, but these guys have only played 2 games together       Give them some time to play as a team. Because they have not played as a team much, the players haven't figured out their roles yet.  No one has really taken on the team leadership role. Half the team is still getting their game legs at this level either for the first time or for first time in a couple of years. Coach admitted they don't know who the go to guy is yet. 

Under Heath Anderson was a true team leader. Then the last couple of years AC filled that role.  As a junior and senior Rudd was the clear go to guy.  Then Allen jr was.  Those roles were all defined because the guys had experience and more importantly, experience together.  Those roles will all develop on this team. Just give them time to develop.  Right now these guys are just a bunch of guys playing basketball. Not really a team yet.  When they do, I think there is enough talent to be amongst our best teams ever.  If they don't come together by the 2nd half of the year then that is on the coach.  

I said it before, I was a big Heath fan and understood he was rebuilding when he got fired.  He ain't the coach here anymore. I like Antigua's energy.  I can be patient before getting upset so early. Next year is a different deal though.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  636
  • Days Won:  0

HoopSeen.com ranked the recruiting classes in the American Athletic Conference and placed the Bulls third behind No. 1 UConn and No. 2 Cincinnati. It also lists Andres Feliz as the best scorer in the class and Troy Baxter as the best athlete. Website writer Justin Young went on to say this: Troy Baxter is a highlight reel with unique size. Andres Feliz has league-leading scoring potential while Malik Fitts is a top 300 level talent.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Give him time...    USF Basketball is one of the least desirable positions in the country. No coach has been able to solve us just yet..

People say that because basketball requires less players then football, it comes down to the quality of players that you sign which means that statement about it being easier in basketball is not always true. Clearly Taggart and his staff have did a great job recruiting. COA and staff are still trying to figure it out.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

People say that because basketball requires less players then football, it comes down to the quality of players that you sign which means that statement about it being easier in basketball is not always true. Clearly Taggart and his staff have did a great job recruiting. COA and staff are still trying to figure it out.

Recruiting to USF is a whole different thing than KY.  I think he can do it but it isn't like he can walk in and say,

COA, "Hi, I'm from Kentucky. You want to play there?"  

Kid, "Sure".  

Now it is COA, "Hi, I'm from USF, want to play there?".  

Kid, "Where?"  

COA, "USF, South Florida."  

Kid, "Is that near Miami? Are you D1 or D2?"

COA, "We're in the AAC."

Kid, "I thought the ACC had FSU and Miami".

COA, "No, the A A C, the American"

Kid, "They play basketball in the conference?"  

So give the guy a break and some time.  Like I've said in football, give a college coach 4 years.  Unless Calipari decides to retire and volunteer at USF there isn't anyone out there that is just dying to take this job. 

Edited by Bourbon Bull

Recruiting to USF is a whole different thing than KY. 

Recruiting to USF has been a whole different thing than most of the schools they're been recruiting against for decades, also. USF fans know this .... although, COA is set up the best of any we have had in the past, it's still going to take some time.