• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

To all you Duckheads wanting an OCS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

UCF works to add donors as it searches for new athletics director, football coach

UCF administrators are racing against the clock to hire an athletics director and head football coach who can help the Knights compete at an elite level with limited resources.

Hiring new administrators and coaches in today's highly competitive market is a challenge for any school, but UCF faces the added challenge of paying for quality leaders while receiving limited conference revenue and operating with an estimated $20 million worth of debt.

"Obviously we have to go out and recruit as [many donors] as we can. We need a very good athletic director and a very good football coach. To get them, we have to spend lots of money," said Tony Nicholson, a long-time UCF donor. "It's not like the old days where you can buy a coach for $100,000 dollars. You have to spend millions to acquire the services of a really qualified football coach."

Can UCF afford to compete for top-notch leaders?

rest of article can be read here.  http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-ucf-football-donors-1115-20151114-story.html

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

It's crazy how fast their downfall happened. Back to back conference championships, then an 0-10 season (probably 0-12). What the hell happened? Yes, I understand they lost a great QB, running back and have a lot of young players while taking on a lot of injuries. But, their recruiting has been top 3 in the conference every year. I'm very happy, but I can't believe it and don't understand. And just because they're having a bad year doesn't mean we shouldn't pursue an OCS in the future. For every negative example, there's a couple of positive examples.

It's crazy how fast their downfall happened. Back to back conference championships, then an 0-10 season (probably 0-12). What the hell happened? Yes, I understand they lost a great QB, running back and have a lot of young players while taking on a lot of injuries. But, their recruiting has been top 3 in the conference every year. I'm very happy, but I can't believe it and don't understand. And just because they're having a bad year doesn't mean we shouldn't pursue an OCS in the future. For every negative example, there's a couple of positive examples.

So you're sayin there's a chance.... 

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

Read the whole article, duckheads...

"Financially, actually, we do quite well," UCF donor Jerry Roth said. "We're in the black and you've got long-term debt, but it's like your house mortgage. You have a mortgage, but you pay it off. So we're doing good, but you do want new boosters and you want new donors and you want people to invest in the program."

Read the whole article, duckheads...

"Financially, actually, we do quite well," UCF donor Jerry Roth said. "We're in the black and you've got long-term debt, but it's like your house mortgage. You have a mortgage, but you pay it off. So we're doing good, but you do want new boosters and you want new donors and you want people to invest in the program."

Dont they have the highest student financial subsidy for athletics in the country?  Like even more than us?

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  615
  • Days Won:  1

UCF Donations are at an all time high for the Program, there is a desire to improve on that to try to keep up with the Programs w massive TV deals. This season had made Roth, Nicholson, etc to open their eyes and that will be reflected in the salary pool for the Assistant Coaches where UCF has previously been cheap and unwilling to pay(6th in the AAC, salary was top heavy for the HC). 

43.6 Million projected operating revenue most likely still ranks around the top 4 of the AAC despite the expected drop in ticket sale revenue this season.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Dont they have the highest student financial subsidy for athletics in the country?  Like even more than us?

They are one of the highest of the state:

School - Percentage of budget based on student fees
Florida - 2.2%
Florida State - 14.5%
South Florida - 36%
Florida A&M - 39%
Florida Gulf Coast - 45%
Florida Atlantic - 46%
Central Florida - 49%
Florida Intl - 68.8%

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/l.../20219399/

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I think it's officially time for a feasibility study.  Also, where on campus would we put it?  Can someone set up a map and use the Orange Bowl as a guide for how it would look?  

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

I think it's officially time for a feasibility study.  Also, where on campus would we put it?  Can someone set up a map and use the Orange Bowl as a guide for how it would look?  

I think it's already been done. I also think that they already know where they will put it. I think there's just a lot of legalese that prevents any acknowledgement at this time.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

David Kelly was largely responsible for their rise and their fall after he was fired after their recruiting fiasco led by the AD at the time.  This article is behind a paywall but you get a few free views per month.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-ucf-david-kelly-mike-bianchi-1105-20151104-column.html