• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Gotta love Asiantii's approach

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

AW is a better passer by all accounts. He also is a very capable runner. If he gives us another dimension via the passing game that Flowers hasn't progressed on, he will get a very serious look. Whoever wins in camp, wins the job.

What dimension to playing QB has Flowers NOT progressed on?  

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,086
  • Days Won:  6

Aw, you didn't like the truth so you down vote my post? Nice. Games are won in practice, and if AW proves to the coaches he gives them something more than Flowers, he will get playtime. He might not take over completely, but he will get snaps. Only a fool would believe Flowers is locked in as the starter, when we have one of the top recruits in our teams entire history waiting for a chance to prove he is better. Spring and Fall competition will be very heated.

Actually, I did not down vote you.  I don't agree that there is any chance that you replace a battle tested starter based on practice but that will play out in time.  

I respect your opinion and if I am wrong I will give you tons of credit.  It would also mean the AW is a stud - win win.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

What dimension to playing QB has Flowers NOT progressed on?  

He needs to continue to improve his passing. It has gotten better as the year has gone on, but it needs to be much better next year. CWT offense clearly is predicated on heavy run and limiting his throws to high percentage plays and a few deep tosses. Currently, he isn't capable of beating a team with a heavy pass gameplan imo. Take away our run game and we are screwed. He must become more of a threat as a passer.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

I don't think people are calling for the next guy.  AW showed a lot during practice this summer.  And, although it is pure conjecture, many people thought he would have started this season had he been eligible.  He looked that good.

Or Flowers looked that bad. I recall something about throwing two-hoppers to open receivers.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Currently, he isn't capable of beating a team with a heavy pass gameplan imo. Take away our run game and we are screwed. He must become more of a threat as a passer.

Clearly our best player on the field is Marlon Mack.  Usually teams go in wanting to stop the run first.  Flowers has thrived on that defensive mentality and been able to make key passes and provide some solid yardage on the ground in the read option.  

Let's go ahead and take that fact away for the moment.  What team in the AAC is so stacked in the secondary that they can afford to play us in a "heavy pass gameplan?"  And what's more, what team would be stupid enough to actually try that, because Marlon Mack?  

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I agree that QF has looked great this year, but I can't say he is definitely better than AW and will be the starter next year. Also, big difference in trying to beat out QF your junior year and Brett Hundley (statistically, UCLA's best QB ever) when you're a true freshman. AW may very well be a total bust, but declaring him so because he wasn't better than an NFL QB as a freshman is a bit of a tough benchmark.

It's not just that he didn't beat out Hundley as much as it is he never made an impact in scrimmages or spring games while he was there. Other than the elite 11 the kid has never shown game type situation ability to justify what some are projecting. He's always been a kid with immense physical ability but his production has never lived up to that ability when it's 11 on 11 and the pads are on. 

He needs to continue to improve his passing. It has gotten better as the year has gone on, but it needs to be much better next year. CWT offense clearly is predicated on heavy run and limiting his throws to high percentage plays and a few deep tosses. Currently, he isn't capable of beating a team with a heavy pass gameplan imo. Take away our run game and we are screwed. He must become more of a threat as a passer.

If he progresses as much as he did last off season this off season there won't even be a competition unless Woulard is a legit first or second round quality NFL QB. People who are already ready to hand the job over to AW are missing out on some huge points. The biggest being that they seem to believe that Flowers is as good of a passer as he's ever going to be while ignoring how much he's improved since last season, heck or even since just fall camp. Flowers has shown that he has the work ethic and ability needed to improve his game yet some here paint him as a finished product when he basically only has one season as a starter under his belt. They also discount how important gamey experience and leadership is to the QB position. People need to slow down and just let the off season happen right now Flowers has a strangle hold on the starting QB spot and less a catastrophic injury or Woulard being the second coming of Aaron Rodgers he will be our starter headed into next fall. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  581
  • Content Count:  22,611
  • Days Won:  108

It's not just that he didn't beat out Hundley as much as it is he never made an impact in scrimmages or spring games while he was there. Other than the elite 11 the kid has never shown game type situation ability to justify what some are projecting. He's always been a kid with immense physical ability but his production has never lived up to that ability when it's 11 on 11 and the pads are on. 

But that also sounds like Q until 4 weeks ago.  

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Flowers has shown that he has the work ethic and ability needed to improve his game... game experience and leadership... 

Preach. I know it doesn't always come out in interviews when it seems sometimes he doesn't speak well (he's a soph!), but this kid's character and will are A++ strong, and his football IQ is growing every week. Those things have been key in turning this team around--no quit leadership and personal drive. AW also seems strong on character, but he hasn't been through hell with the team and led them to where they are. There will be a competition, but it's starting to stack up like an Everest expedition for AW.

But that also sounds like Q until 4 weeks ago.  

Q put up very good numbers in high school unlike AW.