• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

USF Falls to Troy in Season Opener

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

WBB is definitely going to be easier to cheer for, but COA won't let this level of play continue. It'll get better.:GoBulls:

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,742
  • Days Won:  17

Does CWT's bus have any gas to spare for COA's bus?

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,294
  • Days Won:  0

Ouch, losing a home opener to a Sun Belt team is not the way to open a season. I know they have played us tough in the past, but if we are ever going to be a respected program we cannot lay eggs to such lesser teams - especially on our home floor. We should have the bodies and talent to simply wear a team like Troy down and pull away in the second half, but it sounds like the exact opposite happened.

On a positive note, Perry seemed to have a pretty good game and it's great to see him back out there on the court. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,604
  • Content Count:  74,205
  • Days Won:  422

Not a good game at all but, and I know I'm not a guy to look at the bright side of things, Guerrero was out with the concussion, I think it is Santos who is out after knee surgery, Holston is out for the year and Peters was slowed by a bad back.  Cousins did nothing because mostly he wasn't out on the floor after 2 stupid over-the-back fouls.  Seemed COA blamed the 3rd foul, an illegal pick, on McMurray so I won't put that on Cousins either.  It was nice to see more than one guy make a couple of 3s.  Nunez and McMurray appear to be guys that can shoot them.  Morillo looked lost out there for most of the game.  But he can and did, last year, play better than that.

I think once healthy we'll be better than last year. 

Morrillo looked lost a lot last year too, but you're right, he did have his moments ... Not good when your big men only log 39 minutes combined against an undersized team. Guerrero in there with a healthy Peters will definitely help. Nunez looks like the real deal but not keen on him playing 39 minutes.

Also, any idea what the bench warnings were for?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  581
  • Content Count:  22,611
  • Days Won:  108

Ouch, losing a home opener to a Sun Belt team is not the way to open a season. I know they have played us tough in the past, but if we are ever going to be a respected program we cannot lay eggs to such lesser teams - especially on our home floor. We should have the bodies and talent to simply wear a team like Troy down and pull away in the second half, but it sounds like the exact opposite happened.

On a positive note, Perry seemed to have a pretty good game and it's great to see him back out there on the court. 

At the pre-game talk COA told us that they went 11 deep and that we were exceptionally thin because of the injuries.  So it was no surprise, given the foul trouble that we would wear out first. The game plan was to pound them inside but the big guys in foul trouble precluded that.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,294
  • Days Won:  0

At the pre-game talk COA told us that they went 11 deep and that we were exceptionally thin because of the injuries.  So it was no surprise, given the foul trouble that we would wear out first. The game plan was to pound them inside but the big guys in foul trouble precluded that.

BB - Thanks for the analysis. I hadn't heard that before the game. Sounds like the strategy was working through the first half, but kindof wore down in the second. Was our D that bad or did we just go cold?

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  3

Should have hired that coach from Manhattan 

• Topic Count:  1,744
  • Content Count:  17,370
  • Days Won:  13

This is Harlan's first major hire. I know Wollard gets a lot of blame on this board, but his leadership brought us the best season in USF History. He also hired Taggs.

• Topic Count:  581
  • Content Count:  22,611
  • Days Won:  108

BB - Thanks for the analysis. I hadn't heard that before the game. Sounds like the strategy was working through the first half, but kindof wore down in the second. Was our D that bad or did we just go cold?

I'm no expert but it looked like some of both.  They definitely out-quicked us and the shots that were falling in the 1st half didn't go down in the 2nd.  

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

We simply got outhustled by Troy. Troy was horrendous at the free throw line, but we let them get offensive rebounds and did a terrible job of boxing out and playing simple defense.