• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ridiculous! USF banning smoking on campus

theman123

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

http://www.tbo.com/news/education/usf-smoking-ban-includes-whole-campus-starting-jan-1-20151112/

To me, this is such a waste of time. USF had a very efficient system, several designated smoking areas which students obeyed for the most part. I graduated in May, and have probably smoked about  10 cigs in my life, but tobacco smoking on USFs campus was not a problem at all to me or anyone I know. 

• Downvote 3

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Getting rid of smoking and adding guns is a recipe for disaster ...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

LMAO @ Trip

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,422
  • Days Won:  19

Good. Ban smoking. 

+1 USF

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Good, I hate walking past someone smoking and breathing in second hand smoke.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

does this include hookah, because that was how I met most of my friends and made it through finals at USF. Really sad if it does.

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Considering USF is an institution of HIGHER LEARNING,  this is long over due. Most research shows that Smoking is the leading cause of preventable deaths.  The goal of any higher learning institution or healthcare facility needs to practice what they preach while educating the population.   (Glad USF is banning smoking).  We need to educate our youth, lead by example and promote a healthy environment for all who come on campus.

I used to smoke about 30 years ago so understand the want , the need and the  addiction of  Tobacco. However after  I went to Nursing school and  saw what smoking does to people first hand  it made me quit.( spend some years working in Heart, Lung Transplants and saw what damage it causes to the body, not only on the outside but inside as well)(not a pretty picture).    I know some will say its their " right to smoke"  while this is true,  Its also the rights of NON Smokers to not be exposed to 2nd hand smoke. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Considering USF is an institution of HIGHER LEARNING,  this is long over due. Most research shows that Smoking is the leading cause of preventable deaths.  The goal of any higher learning institution or healthcare facility needs to practice what they preach while educating the population.   (Glad USF is banning smoking).  We need to educate our youth, lead by example and promote a healthy environment for all who come on campus.

I used to smoke about 30 years ago so understand the want , the need and the  addiction of  Tobacco. However after  I went to Nursing school and  saw what smoking does to people first hand  it made me quit.( spend some years working in Heart, Lung Transplants and saw what damage it causes to the body, not only on the outside but inside as well)(not a pretty picture).    I know some will say its their " right to smoke"  while this is true,  Its also the rights of NON Smokers to not be exposed to 2nd hand smoke. 

Should we also ban hamburgers? Bacon? Milkshakes? I think it is a pretty slippery slope when we say "overwhelming research demonstrates this is not a rational decision for you to make and thus we will ban it." That is certainly more or less the opposite of what I hope higher learning aims to achieve. Certainly stringently enforce smoking outside of designated areas (to alleviate impact to others) and offer open access to information and programs to discourage smoking. But (IMHO) this type of policy is much akin to Willie's view on Ybor City!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,422
  • Days Won:  19

Should we also ban hamburgers? Bacon? Milkshakes? I think it is a pretty slippery slope when we say "overwhelming research demonstrates this is not a rational decision for you to make and thus we will ban it." That is certainly more or less the opposite of what I hope higher learning aims to achieve. Certainly stringently enforce smoking outside of designated areas (to alleviate impact to others) and offer open access to information and programs to discourage smoking. But (IMHO) this type of policy is much akin to Willie's view on Ybor City!

We should ban trans fat! oh wait