• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Conference Expansion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,611
  • Days Won:  51

But that is way different. Athletic departments will be more resourceful than EASports. Congressmen and Senators don't give a crap about some company making video games but they will fight for their university. Further, the implications are much greater than $40 mil.

The issue is those AD's, Congressmen, and Senators went to P5 schools like OSU, FSU, UF, Miami, etc and they will want what's best for their universities.  No craps given for G5 schools. And BTW, the $40 million is just what EA Sports paid out.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

The issue is those AD's, Congressmen, and Senators went to P5 schools like OSU, FSU, UF, Miami, etc and they will want what's best for their universities.  No craps given for G5 schools. And BTW, the $40 million is just what EA Sports paid out.

Understood, but I don't think what is being proposed in that NY Times article is as easy as it sounds. There will be road blocks along the way.. I think a lot of "craps" will be given to G5 school as there a lot of them and they will could create law suites at will. The P5 know there are limits to separation and that the G5 can respond.

Understood, but I don't think what is being proposed in that NY Times article is as easy as it sounds. There will be road blocks along the way.. I think a lot of "craps" will be given to G5 school as there a lot of them and they will could create law suites at will. The P5 know there are limits to separation and that the G5 can respond.

We saw this scenario play out with paying athletes stipends and cost of attendance money.  The P5 said "we are doing it, and anyone else that wants to can also."  That's when the AAC said they will offer the same things as the P5 will offer.  Now the P5 will say the same thing about scholarship limits, "The G5 can have as many as they want."  Here's the rub, instead of being capped at 85 scholly players, the big 3 in Florida can take 100+ each forcing us to go further down the ratings ladder to find talent.

I hope your right that it takes a long time and there's lots of lawsuits because if this limit is removed it will really hurt the less funded schools.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Days Won:  14

But that is way different. Athletic departments will be more resourceful than EASports. Congressmen and Senators don't give a crap about some company making video games but they will fight for their university. Further, the implications are much greater than $40 mil.

Congressmen and Senators don't give a crap who is making the money as long as they get a piece of the action.

:FIREdevil:

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

We saw this scenario play out with paying athletes stipends and cost of attendance money.  The P5 said "we are doing it, and anyone else that wants to can also."  That's when the AAC said they will offer the same things as the P5 will offer.  Now the P5 will say the same thing about scholarship limits, "The G5 can have as many as they want."  Here's the rub, instead of being capped at 85 scholly players, the big 3 in Florida can take 100+ each forcing us to go further down the ratings ladder to find talent.

I hope your right that it takes a long time and there's lots of lawsuits because if this limit is removed it will really hurt the less funded schools.

You do make some excellent points here and perhaps I am looking at things optimistically. In terms of scolly increase I wonder how many kids are willing to wait behind all that talent when they can come to USF and play right away and still have a chance to play in a News Years Day game? All of this crap has been so depressing as it started with our downfall and now I want to at least enjoy a bowl game (hopefully) without worrying about P5/G5/Expansion. I will look at this during the off season. 

You do make some excellent points here and perhaps I am looking at things optimistically. In terms of scolly increase I wonder how many kids are willing to wait behind all that talent when they can come to USF and play right away and still have a chance to play in a News Years Day game? All of this crap has been so depressing as it started with our downfall and now I want to at least enjoy a bowl game (hopefully) without worrying about P5/G5/Expansion. I will look at this during the off season. 

AGREED!  GO BULLS!  Let's get by Temple and win out.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

http://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/insights-from-bowl-insider/60069114/

Thought you guys would be interested in this topic on a "sec message board". Of course, I posted for USF, and took my shot at ucf. So, feel free to send your alcohol to me. Talks about conference expansion for big 12/sec.  My name on there is pioneerbasketball.

"Memphis, Cincinnati, USF/UCF, Houston. Those are the biggest potential targets for conference expansion right now. Plenty of arguments could be made for or against any of them"

I wonder if there would be enough content on this subject to warrant it's own mega thread?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

More USF graduates just need to get elected to city, state, and national government. The hallways of Tallahassee have long been annoying to traverse with the nearly-exclusive UF/FSU drivel.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Days Won:  14

Most of them studied law.  I've often thought that we'd have more Bulls in the state houses if we had a law school.