• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

You thought our attendance was bad

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  273
  • Days Won:  2

We should make them an offer for their stadium since they are not using it.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Ouch! They get a bigger turnout for a Futbol game...

FUI would destroy us!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  581
  • Content Count:  22,612
  • Days Won:  108

And their QB is in the Top 20 in the nation in a category or two.  If only we could have put that fence around Tampa a little sooner.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,405
  • Days Won:  19

They should drop football... 

• Upvote 1

There was an article this summer that talked about FIU might have to drop down to FCS...

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/florida-international-university/article31172816.html

The consequences of too few friends aren’t immediately dire. According to the NCAA, FIU would receive a notice of noncompliance from the NCAA. Any further noncompliance with one of the criteria for FBS/Division I membership over the following 10 years would cause FIU to be placed on “restrictive membership.” That means no conference championship games or bowl games for a year.

If after a year on restricted membership, a school still doesn’t meet all the FBS/Division I requirements, it can remain Division I in everything except football. That might threaten FIU’s membership in Conference USA, which requires a football program that’s at the FBS level or transitioning to it.

Interesting.  If they get the notice of noncompliance, they have to average 15,000 fans (paid attendance) each year for the next ten years.

Edited by JimUSFSig

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,742
  • Days Won:  17

How much did that stadium cost, and why can't we have something similar?

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  239
  • Days Won:  2

FIU really messed up by firing Cristobal, What kind of AD fires the coach that takes you to two bowl games, after one bad season? Cristobal even declined the Rutgers job at one point just to stay at FIU

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

How much did that stadium cost, and why can't we have something similar?

FIU actually lucked out with the stadium. 

The stadium existed before FIU had a team.  It was built to be the city's municipal stadium, used for local HS football and track.  FIU at the time were contemplating getting a football team so they decided to shell out for a portion to have it constructed inside its campus, however Miami paid for the majority.  The stadium was a replacement for an older stadium in Tamiami Park, which is adjacent to FIU campus to the south.  So constructing the stadium basically right next to the old one wasn't too much of an issue and made sense.  Looking up wiki, it says the original cost was $3 million ($4.66 million in 2015 dollars.) with FIU only shelling out a small portion of it.

FIU lucked out again when they made the major renovations several years ago... the USF game was the first game in the new renovated stadium (well if I remember right, only phase 1 had been completed at the time.)  The reason they lucked out is, being that the stadium was also to be used as a municipal stadium, the stadium was used for some FIFA games.  Since the Orange Bowl was closing, Miami wanted to keep hosting larger events in the area.  So Miami, along with some local businesses decided to partner up along with FIU to upgrade the stadium, which was a $50 million dollar renovation.  Besides the "regular" stadium upgrades, it also made the field compliant for FIFA.  Due to the partnership, FIU again only had to provide a small portion of the cost.

FYI.. I was basically born and raised in Miami and used to work at FIU (I also took some classes there before transferring to USF), which is why I have all this useless knowledge.  Heck, I think I know more about it than most employees and students there.

Edited by Dogma
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,742
  • Days Won:  17

FIU actually lucked out with the stadium. 

The stadium existed before FIU had a team.  It was built to be the city's municipal stadium, used for local HS football and track.  FIU at the time were contemplating getting a football team so they decided to shell out for a portion to have it constructed inside its campus, however Miami paid for the majority.  The stadium was a replacement for an older stadium in Tamiami Park, which is adjacent to FIU campus to the south.  So constructing the stadium basically right next to the old one wasn't too much of an issue and made sense.  Looking up wiki, it says the original cost was $3 million ($4.66 million in 2015 dollars.) with FIU only shelling out a small portion of it.

FIU lucked out again when they made the major renovations several years ago... the USF game was the first game in the new renovated stadium (well if I remember right, only phase 1 had been completed at the time.)  The reason they lucked out is, being that the stadium was also to be used as a municipal stadium, the stadium was used for some FIFA games.  Since the Orange Bowl was closing, Miami wanted to keep hosting larger events in the area.  So Miami, along with some local businesses decided to partner up along with FIU to upgrade the stadium, which was a $50 million dollar renovation.  Besides the "regular" stadium upgrades, it also made the field compliant for FIFA.  Due to the partnership, FIU again only had to provide a small portion of the cost.

FYI.. I was basically born and raised in Miami and used to work at FIU (I also took some classes there before transferring to USF), which is why I have all this useless knowledge.  Heck, I think I know more about it than most employees and students there.

thanks for the insight