• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We will beat Temple

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  16
  • Days Won:  0

Yes, that same team.  But we were talking about the Penn State team that beat conference mates Ruturds (1-5); Indiana (0-5) Marylamb (0-5); Illinois (2-3) along with Army (2-7).  The only team they beat that anyone would consider halfway good is a (6-3) SDSU team.  PennState still has losses to Michigan and Michigan State yet to come. 

Does USF have a better win than Penn State or at Cincinnati?

Funny how you decided to cut it off at 2011 because we won at Nippert in 2010.  You guys are having really good season, but you really aren't that special for winning in Cincy.

I looked at 5 seasons. Apologies for not including that one year out of the past 8 where Cincinnati was miserable.

Temple was probably saying this about USF back before it got tossed from the BE and we got invited. It's cyclical, man, don't shoot yourself over it.

Nah, we sucked when we were tossed from the BE and deserved the boot. You're right, though - it's cyclical. Honestly, I feel like USF this year is pretty similar to 2014 Temple. Solid defense. Inconsistent offense. Playing the league's better teams close but losing (see 3 and 8 point Temple losses to Memphis and Cincinnati last year). A .500 team that's still a year away but improving.

• Downvote 3

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Temple is no joke. They are well coached, disciplined, and loaded with experience (12 Senior starters combined offense and defense, 8 Junior starters, and 2 Sophomores, with another 9 juniors/seniors on the 2 deep). I don't know that they are "faster" than USF, but we will find out quickly on Saturday. I think the key to the game is going to be containing Walker and Thomas the same way we did with ECU and SMU's mobile QB/RB combos. Get into the backfield. Get our 8-11 tackles for loss, and force at least one (preferably 2 or more) turnovers. I'm actually the good kind of nervous for a USF football game for the first time since Notre Dame in 2011. I will be there loud and proud in the Green, Gold, and Red, White, and Blue. Go America! Go Bulls! 

Athletically I don't think Temple is much better, if at all, than we are. However, what scares me is the number of upper classmen that play for them.  Those are grown 22-23 year old men. A lot of whom will fighto continue their dreams of a conference title in what could be the last yea of organized football for many of them.  How is an 18 year old Chris Barr or any of the other young guys going to react?  Our team has shown a lot of mental toughness the last few games by not rolling over once they lost a lead or struggled on offense, but along with Navy Temple is probaly the most experienced team we play.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Nah, we sucked when we were tossed from the BE and deserved the boot.

Not my point.  In those lean years in the 90s & early 00s, I'd find it hard to believe fans didn't long for the teams of the 70s & 80s, remembering when they could beat teams like USF.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Temple was probably saying this about USF back before it got tossed from the BE and we got invited. It's cyclical, man, don't shoot yourself over it.

It may be cyclical for established programs with large fanbases, big donors and tradition, i.e. not USF. 

And if we're talking about being booted from BCS Conferences, if I'm not mistaken Temple has yet to find their way back into one. 

But don't shoot yourself over it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

It may be cyclical for established programs with large fanbases, big donors and tradition, i.e. not USF. 

And if we're talking about being booted from BCS Conferences, if I'm not mistaken Temple has yet to find their way back into one. 

But don't shoot yourself over it.

Wow, next thing you know, this guy will start talking about how he was right the whole time, and he'll start demanding apologies ... 

• Upvote 1

Wow, next thing you know, this guy will start talking about how he was right the whole time, and he'll start demanding apologies ... 

Still talking about my posts from months ago? Mission accomplished.

• Downvote 4

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Still talking about my posts from months ago? Mission accomplished.

It's my goal to fulfill the dreams and goals of at least one poor, miserable, downtrodden soul a day.  

Mission accomplished.  

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  16
  • Days Won:  0

Not my point.  In those lean years in the 90s & early 00s, I'd find it hard to believe fans didn't long for the teams of the 70s & 80s, remembering when they could beat teams like USF.

There's an oldhead part of the fanbase that waxes nostalgically about the Wayne Hardin, Bruce Arians (yeah, he used to coach Temple) days but 20 years of suck kind of wiped any sort of memory of those teams. It's a completely different university today and while there are nods to that past era of non-sucking, you might as well be talking about Pop Warner from the 1930s (another former Temple HC) with most younger (sub-40s) fans. I'm a 2000 graduate and for me, there weren't any good ol' days. Just lots of blowouts to the Miamis and VTs of the world.

I'd say a relevant comparison would be post-BE expulsion, seeing teams like Pitt and Rutgers move on to greener pastures. In our worst days these would be competitive games if not Temple wins. Especially Rutgers - seeing them in the big money Big Ten stings.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

I'm a 2000 graduate and for me, there weren't any good ol' days. Just lots of blowouts to the Miamis and VTs of the world.

well since you guys are used to getting your asses kicked by Florida teams hopefully we can continue that tradition for you.

There's an oldhead part of the fanbase that waxes nostalgically about the Wayne Hardin, Bruce Arians (yeah, he used to coach Temple) days but 20 years of suck kind of wiped any sort of memory of those teams. It's a completely different university today and while there are nods to that past era of non-sucking, you might as well be talking about Pop Warner from the 1930s (another former Temple HC) with most younger (sub-40s) fans. I'm a 2000 graduate and for me, there weren't any good ol' days. Just lots of blowouts to the Miamis and VTs of the world.

I'd say a relevant comparison would be post-BE expulsion, seeing teams like Pitt and Rutgers move on to greener pastures. In our worst days these would be competitive games if not Temple wins. Especially Rutgers - seeing them in the big money Big Ten stings.

20 years of suck?  Doesn't sound too "cyclical" to me...

Edited by beastiebull
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2