• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Looks like we might not see Tacko Fall this season.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

So he won't be the second coming of Ralph Sampson, then ....?

No. But he still has a shot at being Vlade Divac.

I was going to say something snarky like that originally but foot's posts were pretty rational and tempered so I held back.

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

11 hours ago, George Jenkins said:

No. But he still has a shot at being Vlade Divac.

I was going to say something snarky like that originally but foot's posts were pretty rational and tempered so I held back.

He has only been playing for a few years. Not sure about body mass, maybe. They are very careful about his weight and minutes  because he is still a very young man. They dont want to have another Yao Ming. i.e Injury riddled. UCF trainers visited with the Houston training staff to download  the mistakes they made.

I still think Bust is too strong, especially with your Coaches post game comments about Tacko. Tacko  stat line never shows one key invisible stat, the number of shots changed and drives avoided. He has a TON to learn.

Hats off to USF blocking shots. Wow, very impressive.

The next game will be much different. USF should have players back, so they can go man a lot more. I look forward to seeing the new Sundome.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, footnfan1 said:

He has only been playing for a few years. Not sure about body mass, maybe. They are very careful about his weight and minutes  because he is still a very young man. They dont want to have another Yao Ming. i.e Injury riddled. UCF trainers visited with the Houston training staff to download  the mistakes they made.

I still think Bust is too strong, especially with your Coaches post game comments about Tacko. Tacko  stat line never shows one key invisible stat, the number of shots changed and drives avoided. He has a TON to learn.

Hats off to USF blocking shots. Wow, very impressive.

The next game will be much different. USF should have players back, so they can go man a lot more. I look forward to seeing the new Sundome.

He does have a lot to learn, and looked pretty good when a rebound occasionally deflected his way (kept ball up high for the put back etc. etc.), but we're not just talking about Yao Ming here. There are few exceptions, but seven footers more often than not have injury plagued and shortened careers.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424053111903999904576466280330481732

Add Nerlens Noel, Joel Embid and Greg Oden to that list as well.

Gravity is a *****.

39 minutes ago, George Jenkins said:

He does have a lot to learn, and looked pretty good when a rebound occasionally deflected his way (kept ball up high for the put back etc. etc.), but we're not just talking about Yao Ming here. There are few exceptions, but seven footers more often than not have injury plagued and shortened careers.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424053111903999904576466280330481732

Add Nerlens Noel, Joel Embid and Greg Oden to that list as well.

Gravity is a *****.

Absolutely true. Guys like this are not make to take a basketball pounding. The odds are stacked way against his success along with other super tall bigs.

So I am an older guy, and I think back to my attending NBA games, primarily the Warriors. How did  guys like Jabbar and Wilt and even Nate Thurmond ( my childhood hero along with Rick Barry) stay so healthy?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, footnfan1 said:

Absolutely true. Guys like this are not make to take a basketball pounding. The odds are stacked way against his success along with other super tall bigs.

So I am an older guy, and I think back to my attending NBA games, primarily the Warriors. How did  guys like Jabbar and Wilt and even Nate Thurmond ( my childhood hero along with Rick Barry) stay so healthy?

Probably because those guys weren't playing AAU ball year round since they were 4 years old. At least Tacko has that going for him.

That is  a great point. I never allowed my sons to play fall ball for Baseball. They were All Star players and other parents used to ***** at my wife and I for not "furthering" their career. There was no way they were elite athletes, they just maximized their potential with hard work and some expert coaching. We always said no, enjoy your off time. Ride a bike somewhere, enjoy life!

Several of their friends who were elite, have had Tommy John surgery, elbow clean outs, shoulder  work. Shameful. One young man with absolute Div 1 potential, cannot even lift his throwing arm without pain.

Now, they did move on to play LAX in HS, and that sport was brutal. My older son lost his Junior season to a bully move from a player from Ft. Lauderdale. A dirty player, coached by a dirty coach IMO. The Coach was a SE Fla. HS coach,but this  was an off season club team, who BTW, played year round, our team did not.They were disbanded that team about 6 months later due to dirty play.

Adults ruin youth sports IMO.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

43 minutes ago, footnfan1 said:

Adults ruin youth sports IMO.

QFT

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Tacko was surprisingly mobile and fleet-footed for someone that size. He surprised me a bit last night.  If they can get some muscle on him, he'll be an interesting player to watch in the AAC.

IMO, last night was a marginal performance by Tacko. He looked lost several times on O, and was getting  a lot of direction from Donnie, but yes, he is not slow and has great hustle. Was not surprised to see him dive for the 50/50 ball. I cringed, but enjoying seeing a tower of a guy dive! He has only been practicing with the full team for a couple of weeks, or maybe a month or two, so there is almost no chemistry.

UCF IMO is not yet using him properly, but they are improving. The one fact, is that he is learning to just stand in place, hands up, and make shooters change their shot. I even saw Perry alter a shot or two. He may be good, but he needs to be on a very steep curve. He is already 300 pounds and Donnie has said quietly that they watch his pounds and minutes like a hawk, so as not to over stress his feet and joints.

He is  a project, but a fun one to watch. Last night was my first time seeing Perry in person, he is a VERY solid player. I was very impressed.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

He had a great game against Temple, but consistency is the key. Without him, they would have been crushed for sure. 13 points, 14 rebounds, 5 blocks, but UCF lot by 2. 

Probably a new coach next year I would bet. 

• Upvote 1