• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Will 6-6 really be enough for a bowl?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,611
  • Days Won:  51

WGAS?  I want USF to win a championship.  The state of the AAC is a VERY distant second concern to me.   

Exactly.  I want the conference to do well, but USF success matters more.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  307
  • Days Won:  1

By my math, there are currently 50 bowl eligible teams and I only projecting 77 teams reaching 6-6 or better based on remaining schedules. There are 80 total spots for bowl teams (not including championship game). Even if the AAC manages to get 9 teams bowl eligible for the 7-8 bowl spots we have there should be others that have openings, so nothing to worry about. 

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Not sure what happened to my post above but as I was saying, the Peach or Fiesta would go to the highest ranked CHAMPION by the CFP committee.

If anyone other than USF wins AAC (Temple, Memphis, Houston, Navy), they are almost a lock to go to Peach or Fiesta bowl.

If USF wins AAC, we'd need a LOT of help to go to Peach or Fiesta, such as Boise losing championship game, WKU losing championship game, and whoever wins MAC to have at least 3-4 losses.  Not impossible, but not very probable either.

If we won AAC, we'd likely go to Birmingham to face an SEC team or Hawaii to face BYU.  Maybe the Miami Beach could scrounge up an extra "P5" team.

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

I see 6 getting us in, and if 6-6, likely the St. Pete Bomb Shelter Bowl, which I likely skip.  But if Boca or Miami, I'm likely there if I'm in state.

P.S.  yeah, I hated the bowl game v Memphis in St. Pete, but after 5 years, I'd still likely go...as it's been too long since Clemson.

right there with you...

Why skip the St. Pete Bowl, or any bowl game? Are you there to support USF or to watch some other team?

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Well the AAC didnt have a Championship game last season and there was a 3 way tie for winning the conference and the Sun Belt conference still has no Championship game. 

You don't a championship game to crown a champion

I don't think that's accurate.  I believe it's the highest ranked (by the playoff committee) G5 team that gets access.  I don't think it has anything to do with MUST be a conf champion.

Nope. It's the CHAMPION not highest rated team.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8624387/six-bowls-pool-college-football-semifinal-games

"Also, the highest-rated champion from the "Group of Five" conferences -- the Big East, Conference USA, Mountain West, Sun Belt and Mid-American -- will receive an automatic berth in one of the six access bowls."

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,611
  • Days Won:  51

Not sure what happened to my post above but as I was saying, the Peach or Fiesta would go to the highest ranked CHAMPION by the CFP committee.

If anyone other than USF wins AAC (Temple, Memphis, Houston, Navy), they are almost a lock to go to Peach or Fiesta bowl.

If USF wins AAC, we'd need a LOT of help to go to Peach or Fiesta, such as Boise losing championship game, WKU losing championship game, and whoever wins MAC to have at least 3-4 losses.  Not impossible, but not very probable either.

If we won AAC, we'd likely go to Birmingham to face an SEC team or Hawaii to face BYU.  Maybe the Miami Beach could scrounge up an extra "P5" team.

So what would have happened last year if an AAC team was ranked higher than Boise State?  There was no championship game. 

Say UCF was 7-1 in conference and Memphis was 6-2 but Memphis won all their OOC games and finished 10-2 and ranked higher than UCF by the committee.  UCF finishes the season at 7-5 but wins the AAC.  

Or what if App State is the highest ranked G5 team? SunBelt has no CCG. 

While I agree it's a stretch... the playoff committee has said that it's not who beat you, but who you beat.  USF at 9-4 with two wins over Top 25 teams could easily get the nod over an 11-2 Western Michigan team with no wins over Top 25 teams.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Again, you don't need a championship game to have a champion.  UCF was the AAC Champion.  If Memphis was ranked higher than Boise State, bur UCF was ranked lower, then Boise State would still go.  Georgia Southern was the Sunbelt Champion last year.

• Upvote 1