• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Bad Coaching

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Not NFL coaches .... roughly the same scenario:

For another example, suppose that after scoring a touchdown you lead by 4 points, with 5:00 remaining in the game. In the row corresponding to 4, we interpolate between the columns corresponding to 3:00 and 6:00, and find that the interpolated Chart entry is 0.47. This means you should attempt a two-point conversion if your probability of making it exceeds 0.47. For most if not all NFL teams, the correct choice is to kick

http://www.footballcommentary.com/twoptchart.htm

Is the NCAA that much different than the NFL on something like this?

Apparently I'm on another planet for thinking we should of gone for 2. I should know better by now than to throw out an opinion of mine saying 95% of coaches in America would've gone for 2. I should also know some of you guys are like lawyers and analyze every single word written and pick it apart so I should be better about saying "In my opinion, or I would think..", or something along those lines rather than a specific statement like that. 

According to them it makes sense to kick the fg. Doesn't mean coaches would select that option. Just like according to other analytics it makes sense to go for it on 4th down a heck of a lot more than coaches actually do. 

http://static.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/garber_greg/1453717.html

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516

We're really over discussing this, but several of us have given you the reason why not to go for 2 there.  So yes, there is a reason to NOT go for 2 in that instance. 

I didn't read all of them, but I remember one of the reasons being if we kick the extra point and then they score a TD we are set up for a game winning FG instead of a game tying FG. That all means nothing if they score with less than 30 seconds left in the game or no time at all. It's all hypothetical at that point and almost completely out of your control. Going for 2 to put you up by 6 is in your control. You guys have your reasoning and I have mine and we can leave it at that. Either way I agree it is being over discussed and I don't think it was some massive mistake I just personally would've gone for 2 there. Taggart didn't. He probably knows a little more about coaching than me. 

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,426
  • Days Won:  25

Actually, you do when it's 3rd and goal from the half yard line. The opportunity cost of orchestrating an advanced play like that played out for all of us to see. Five yard penalty. 

And if you can't take a snap from under center and pop it over the line, then you have no business accepting a scholarship to a D1 program. Taggart sharted himself calling such an idiotic play.

Every QB in D1 football that EVER got stuffed on 3rd and 1 should give back their scholarships!

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  307
  • Days Won:  1

I didn't read all of them, but I remember one of the reasons being if we kick the extra point and then they score a TD we are set up for a game winning FG instead of a game tying FG. That all means nothing if they score with less than 30 seconds left in the game or no time at all. It's all hypothetical at that point and almost completely out of your control. Going for 2 to put you up by 6 is in your control. You guys have your reasoning and I have mine and we can leave it at that. Either way I agree it is being over discussed and I don't think it was some massive mistake I just personally would've gone for 2 there. Taggart didn't. He probably knows a little more about coaching than me. 

This right here is the correct response even though I am in the go for 1 group. There are scenarios that would make going for 1 wrong and going for 2 wrong as both sides have brought up, which I am sure have both happened in the long history of the sport. It was not a 100% call either way, based on charts, coach group think, or whatever else you want to call it. We won the game and this decision is reaching to nitpick, it was no where near Taggart's worst coaching decision, probably not even his worst in this game.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

This right here is the correct response even though I am in the go for 1 group. There are scenarios that would make going for 1 wrong and going for 2 wrong as both sides have brought up, which I am sure have both happened in the long history of the sport. It was not a 100% call either way, based on charts, coach group think, or whatever else you want to call it. We won the game and this decision is reaching to nitpick, it was no where near Taggart's worst coaching decision, probably not even his worst in this game.

+1

There was too much time in the game to not just take the point there.  It is more likely that it comes down to a game winning FG for us than a blocked XP, and there is much less of a chance to make the 2 pt conversion.  Also, ECU's offense wasn't going to drive the length field on our defense anyway.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,215
  • Days Won:  422

They motioned Price off the line and into the backfield... if they left Price on the line, the TD would have stood.

Price wasn't on the line before the shift, he was in the slot back position. The 5th man was Adams ...

And kind of off topic, don't know if it was mentioned in the game thread or Chat but that  roughing after the play call against Turner was terrible and could have been key if we ended up losing the game.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I will take this "bad coaching" if we keep winning 4 of 5. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831

First of all, its simple mathematics.  Secondly, it was a rainy night with a soggy field.  Any other coach goes for 2 in that situation.  Either way if they march the distance of the field would you rather have a 5 point lead or a 6 point lead?  It wasn't early in the game, this happened with 4 minutes left.  These decisions are important.  It didn't come back to bite us today.  But we saw this under the Skip Holtz regime too.  I'm thinking you're response wasn't thought out too well. 

Either way they needed to score a TD. Up 5 or 6 points late in the game, I'll take our chances with Allen calling the defense against a shotty ECU offense anyday.

• Upvote 1