• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Bad Coaching

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

No one is asking you to participate in the argument-- if you think it is stupid, stay out of it.

Also-- your examples are not what any of us suggested to begin with. No one talked about having to make some miracle FG at the end of the game-- doubt there would be time to do that if it came to it.

Several mentioned the FG on the first page.  Thats a reason why you go for 1 there with still 4 min left.  You have just as much chance (actually probably more) at getting the ball back with enough time to try to get a field goal as you have of ECU missing a freakin extra point.  

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Several mentioned the FG on the first page.  Thats a reason why you go for 1 there with still 4 min left.  You have just as much chance (actually probably more) at getting the ball back with enough time to try to get a field goal as you have of ECU missing a freakin extra point.  

You just sealed the argument against yourself. 

50/50 chance of getting the ball and driving for a FG and them missing an extra point. That right there means we absolutely should have went for 2 instead of the equal chance that the game will come down to Nadelman kicking the winning FG. Which is not even kind of sort of good bet.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  120

way to trim off the part of my quote that dealt with the kicking game that cannot be relied on.

but you know-- someone ELSE said something about a FG so I guess that means everyone said it-- you are great at shaping this argument you find so STUPID.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768

way to trim off the part of my quote that dealt with the kicking game that cannot be relied on.

but you know-- someone ELSE said something about a FG so I guess that means everyone said it-- you are great at shaping this argument you find so STUPID.

:facepalm:

One, you were the one who said "no one was talking about a miracle fg", i simply pointed out that a couple (as in a few, not everyone) pointed out that scenario on the first page.

Two, I left out your quote because it has little to do with the original argument. The argument was that there was no mathematical reason not to go for 2, i was simply pointing out thats not true. A coach needs to think 2 moves out (as in what happens after a possible ECU score) vs just 1 move out (ECU score). 

i was fine with the decision to go with one, and i would have been fine if he went for two. Both are a roll of the dice for a couple of highly highly unlikely scenarios to follow.

If you all want to go on with it was a bad coaching decision because apparently the no brainer move was to go for one unlikely scenario (a converted 2 pt try) in hopes another highly highly highly unlikely scenario (missed extra point) happens, then have it I guess. I personally think its extreme nit-picking to find something to bash CWT about. 

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Pointless Debate. You go for 2 every single time. There is zero downside in going for two. It can only help that situation.

• Downvote 1

i would have been fine if he went for two.

It is about time you came to your senses.

everything else you wrote doesn't support my argument so I just left it out because it wasn't the original argument and therefore is rendered completely unimportant using your logic.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657

I don't want to turn this into a hate on Willie topic, but why didn't he go for 2 when we scored with 4 minutes left in the game?  We were up 4 points.  One point doesn't help you in that situation.  If you go for 2 and make it, then its a 6 point game.  I know it doesn't seem like much, however if ECU scored a TD it would force them to make the extra point, where as a 5 point lead doesn't mean ****.  I thought it was horrible coaching.  If Willie can't decide on this stuff, there is a sheet that every other Coach carries around at all times to know when he should go for 2.  

I'll chalk that up to bad coaching.  Can anyone argue his side on this...logically? 

I love 'fans' that love to nitpick and complain  after a victory. Brilliant

Edited by CyberBull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,215
  • Days Won:  422

It's a guess. Sorry for being so exact. If I had to bet I'd say the majority of coaches in america go for 2 there. Better?

Not NFL coaches .... roughly the same scenario:

For another example, suppose that after scoring a touchdown you lead by 4 points, with 5:00 remaining in the game. In the row corresponding to 4, we interpolate between the columns corresponding to 3:00 and 6:00, and find that the interpolated Chart entry is 0.47. This means you should attempt a two-point conversion if your probability of making it exceeds 0.47. For most if not all NFL teams, the correct choice is to kick

http://www.footballcommentary.com/twoptchart.htm

Is the NCAA that much different than the NFL on something like this?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Not NFL coaches .... roughly the same scenario:

For another example, suppose that after scoring a touchdown you lead by 4 points, with 5:00 remaining in the game. In the row corresponding to 4, we interpolate between the columns corresponding to 3:00 and 6:00, and find that the interpolated Chart entry is 0.47. This means you should attempt a two-point conversion if your probability of making it exceeds 0.47. For most if not all NFL teams, the correct choice is to kick

http://www.footballcommentary.com/twoptchart.htm

Is the NCAA that much different than the NFL on something like this?

I'd say with the number of teams and the difference in parity that the NFL has, it's probably much higher for some and much lower for others. The number probably moves quite a bit between your FAMU's and your ECU's throughout the year. 

But in our situation during the game, I'd like to think the odds of us punching it in from 2 yards out was much higher than banking on a Nadelman kicking a desperation field goal as time ran out.

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 1

I don't know if the NFL numbers mean as much to the college game-- plus, are they in need of adjustment/re-calibration  since the rule changes to extra points? Maybe that evens it out a bit.

Either way -- the NFL example deals with kickers of a very high experience/quality -- and we are talking about a guy who shanked a 20-something yarder badly in the beginning of the game (not to mention has a history of missed XPs and FGs all season). THAT has to figure into the thinking imo and move you more to the 2 point try. No one said it was the only way to go-- and the one point try is NOT completely without merit. I just would rather have a 6 point lead than a 4 or 5 point lead.