• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Bad Coaching

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

According to your response, 95% of the coaches go for 2 when leading by 1 ...

There's an updated chart that takes into account where you are in the game at time, thought I linked that one. But since you brought it up, if we scored a TD with 4 minutes left in the game that put us up by 1 and CWT didn't go for 2, I'd absolutely be calling him an idiot.

http://www.footballcommentary.com/twoptchart.htm

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Haha.. 

Missed extra points happen. You're not BANKING on anything, you're simply giving your team a chance to extend the game if the scenario of ECU going down to score at the end of the game happened. What scenario would you rather be in: ECU scores with very little time left and prior to the extra point you're already losing, or you're tied? You can say it doesn't matter, but every coach in America is going to tell you they want a chance to block the extra point, chance for a bad snap, chance the kicker just flat out misses, etc and so would I. We missed a 22 yarder or something ridiculously close in the game. Anything can happen. I thought it was a bad decision. It obviously didn't matter in the end, but there's no reason to not go for 2 there. 

We're really over discussing this, but several of us have given you the reason why not to go for 2 there.  So yes, there is a reason to NOT go for 2 in that instance. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,736
  • Days Won:  120

We're really over discussing this, but several of us have given you the reason why not to go for 2 there.  So yes, there is a reason to NOT go for 2 in that instance. 

Sure-- except those reasons don't make any sense either. And we've explained why that is true.

• Topic Count:  1,604
  • Content Count:  74,205
  • Days Won:  422

There's an updated chart that takes into account where you are in the game at time, thought I linked that one. But since you brought it up, if we scored a TD with 4 minutes left in the game that put us up by 1 and CWT didn't go for 2, I'd absolutely be calling him an idiot.

http://www.footballcommentary.com/twoptchart.htm

Interesting example they had:

For another example, suppose that after scoring a touchdown you lead by 4 points, with 5:00 remaining in the game. In the row corresponding to 4, we interpolate between the columns corresponding to 3:00 and 6:00, and find that the interpolated Chart entry is 0.47. This means you should attempt a two-point conversion if your probability of making it exceeds 0.47. For most if not all NFL teams, the correct choice is to kick.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

First of all, its simple mathematics.  Secondly, it was a rainy night with a soggy field.  Any other coach goes for 2 in that situation.  Either way if they march the distance of the field would you rather have a 5 point lead or a 6 point lead?  It wasn't early in the game, this happened with 4 minutes left.  These decisions are important.  It didn't come back to bite us today.  But we saw this under the Skip Holtz regime too.  I'm thinking you're response wasn't thought out too well. 

I agree with Joe.  Think an XP is a gimme?  We missed a 23 yard FG, which isn't much deeper.

I will say the good thing about up 5 is another FG gets us up 8 (or forces them to go for 2 if they score).

All said, I don't think NOT going for 2 is an indictment on Taggart, at all.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Sure-- except those reasons don't make any sense either. And we've explained why that is true.

Uh, no you haven't (nor anyone else).  Again, an extra point there, a ECU TD, then an USF FG, and you win.  Thats much more likely scenario to happen than a successful 2 PT conversion, an ECU TD, then a blocked extra point, and then a FG (or OT) to win.  That extra point allows you to still win the game with a comeback FG If (a big IF) ECU were to score.  

Although either way, all scenarios are extremely unlikely, and we've managed to turn a stupid argument into 3 pages. 

Edited by Bullshiznitz

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

It's a message board-- we are hear to talk about the team, game, coaches, and whatever else. If you can't talk about your thoughts regarding a game, what is the point of having the forum at all?

I get it Mike but really have you read some of this  dribble ? Some people don't have happiness in their DNA I guess. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Link? 

I would LOVE to see where you got those stats!

It's a guess. Sorry for being so exact. If I had to bet I'd say the majority of coaches in america go for 2 there. Better?

• Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,736
  • Days Won:  120

Uh, no you haven't (nor anyone else).  Again, an extra point there, a ECU TD, then an USF FG, and you win.  Thats much more likely scenario to happen than a successful 2 PT conversion, an ECU TD, then a blocked extra point, and then a FG (or OT) to win.  That extra point allows you to still win the game with a comeback FG If (a big IF) ECU were to score.  

Although either way, all scenarios are extremely unlikely, and we've managed to turn a stupid argument into 3 pages. 

No one is asking you to participate in the argument-- if you think it is stupid, stay out of it.

Also-- your examples are not what any of us suggested to begin with. No one talked about having to make some miracle FG at the end of the game-- doubt there would be time to do that if it came to it.

Most of us can see that we have a struggling kicking game at best. So while the NFL team might take the point as someone pointed out-- that is an NFL kicker on and NFL field without regard to weather/field conditions let alone how inconsistent our kicker has been. You did see him miss that chip shot earlier. yes?

That alone might be enough if not for the point differential adding the potential tie scenario if they miss an extra point provided they find some way to score on us---- and while some state that could never happen because they had so much trouble moving the ball on us-- have you watched much USF football in the past 5 years?

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  118
  • Days Won:  0

This is a silly statement as several P5 programs don't have their QB takes snaps under center, ever.  This is an inherent issue with the spread offense.  I've seen it as an issue with several teams, such as Oregon.

It's an inherent issue that spread offenses can struggle in the red zone, no doubt. 

However, it ultimately falls on the coach to put the best product on the field. If you're employing a spread offense to the point where your QB is incapable of taking a snap from under center, then you're failing as a head coach. 

And for the record, since you brought up Oregon, Mariota's doing quite well under center for the Titans. 

• Downvote 1