• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bad Coaching

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I don't want to turn this into a hate on Willie topic, but why didn't he go for 2 when we scored with 4 minutes left in the game?  We were up 4 points.  One point doesn't help you in that situation.  If you go for 2 and make it, then its a 6 point game.  I know it doesn't seem like much, however if ECU scored a TD it would force them to make the extra point, where as a 5 point lead doesn't mean ****.  I thought it was horrible coaching.  If Willie can't decide on this stuff, there is a sheet that every other Coach carries around at all times to know when he should go for 2.  

I'll chalk that up to bad coaching.  Can anyone argue his side on this...logically? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

He didn't feel they'd be able to march the distance and score a touchdown, so what difference would it have made?  I mean 2 points would have still made it so they needed a TD to win.  I mean unless you're banking on someone missing an extra point, then this is literally a moot argument.  I honestly don't get your argument.  It's not well thought out and appears to be out of emotion. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

He didn't feel they'd be able to march the distance and score a touchdown, so what difference would it have made?  I mean 2 points would have still made it so they needed a TD to win.  I mean unless you're banking on someone missing an extra point, then this is literally a moot argument.  I honestly don't get your argument.  It's not well thought out and appears to be out of emoton. 

First of all, its simple mathematics.  Secondly, it was a rainy night with a soggy field.  Any other coach goes for 2 in that situation.  Either way if they march the distance of the field would you rather have a 5 point lead or a 6 point lead?  It wasn't early in the game, this happened with 4 minutes left.  These decisions are important.  It didn't come back to bite us today.  But we saw this under the Skip Holtz regime too.  I'm thinking you're response wasn't thought out too well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Days Won:  2

No difference between 5 and 6 pts there...NFL would be a different story now, but college, not too concerned 

Edited by jg233
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

I don't want to turn this into a hate on Willie topic, but why didn't he go for 2 when we scored with 4 minutes left in the game?  We were up 4 points.  One point doesn't help you in that situation.  If you go for 2 and make it, then its a 6 point game.  I know it doesn't seem like much, however if ECU scored a TD it would force them to make the extra point, where as a 5 point lead doesn't mean ****.  I thought it was horrible coaching.  If Willie can't decide on this stuff, there is a sheet that every other Coach carries around at all times to know when he should go for 2.  

I'll chalk that up to bad coaching.  Can anyone argue his side on this...logically? 

this didn't bother me.  Simple math means we would have been down either way if they had scored a TD.  Taggart put faith in Tom Allen and Defense.  And you could see how excited they both were at the end.

I think his play calling has improved, but still needs some 3rd quarter work.  Seems like we struggle to adjust to the other defense's adjustments when starting up the second half.

Edited by gibbsak

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  92
  • Days Won:  0

Joe, the collective opinion of the group I was watching the game with agree with you.  Nothing for us to lose if we don't make the 2 and, if we do, it forces ECU to make the extra point to win.  It may not seem like much to some, but I think it shows a coach and team that are giving ALL they have.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,814
  • Days Won:  22

Didn't bother me. Two points wouldn't had made a difference. ECU would still need a TD, so why give them a chance to get some life by stopping a two point play.

if you want to get on the coaching staff, then I would be more on why we didn't throw more short passes in third quarter when ECU was selling out to stop run.

with that said, if the players would have performed as expected this game should had been a blow out. I'm fine with the coaches last night

• Upvote 2

1 - USF was having a tough time getting a couple of yards.  Remember, this TD was scored because of busted coverage... but USF was being stopped quite well by the ECU defense.

2 - Since ECU made two PATs already, chances are very good that they would make another -- so going for two would make no difference.

3 - Giving Nadelman another chance to kick only helps his confidence.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

It is not a simple 100% of the time you go for 2 there. Here are the possibilities:

2pt good Up by 6, they tie with a td and win with an xp. We then could win by a fg. 

2 pt no good. Up by 4, they win with a td and could be up 2 to 4 depending on xp. Most likely 3 where we could tie by fg.

Regular xp Up by 5, they win with a td and could be up by 1 to 3 points. Depending on xp. Worst case we tie with fg most likely we win by fg.

So basically in any situation 7 pts loses you the lead and by not going for 2 you then give yourself the best chance to win with a fg after.

This, beat me to the punch.  IF, they came back and scored a TD, we still have a chance to win with a FG over just forcing OT.  

• Upvote 1