• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

if cwt comes back for another year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

should he get a short extension?

one or two years?

failure to give  him an extension  will hurt recruiting going forward

it is a big risk either way but there is no doubt the team has vastly improved

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  807
  • Days Won:  1

If he wants an extension he needs to earn it. He hasnt earned anything as of yet.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,109
  • Days Won:  6

If he wants an extension he needs to earn it. He hasnt earned anything as of yet.

I am in favor of him coming back but he will have to continue to improve.  6 wins will not cut it next year.  

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Have to see how the season ends up. For simply an average job so far does he deserve an extension with 2 years remaining?  Will it hurt this year's recruiting even if he has 2 years left?

If there was dynamic progress in the record or if he even had a signature win to show we are really on the way up (like Memphis did a couple of years ago or Temple). It would make more sense.  The best win so far is vs 4-5 UCONN.

Very difficult decision on giving an extension. Especially if you make a decision to bring him back if we only go 5-7. 

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

The team has shown a lot of improvement so far. He has two years left, so I don't think we need to give him an extension this year.

If I were Harlan, after this season,I would have the discussion of an extension with him and his agent and tell them straight up, "I've seen the improvement I expected. Not the results I had hoped for, but we're moving in the right direction. I have what I consider to be a very lucrative extension deal in mind that I'm going to offer either after the first six games, or the bye week, NEXT YEAR. It's up to you whether or not I put it on the table."  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

The team has shown a lot of improvement so far. He has two years left, so I don't think we need to give him an extension this year.

If I were Harlan, after this season,I would have the discussion of an extension with him and his agent and tell them straight up, "I've seen the improvement I expected. Not the results I had hoped for, but we're moving in the right direction. I have what I consider to be a very lucrative extension deal in mind that I'm going to offer either after the first six games, or the bye week, NEXT YEAR. It's up to you whether or not I put it on the table."  

this except it shouldn't be offered until after next year is over, but that's just my opinion

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,109
  • Days Won:  6

this except it shouldn't be offered until after next year is over, but that's just my opinion

I like that sound of this.  I don't think CWT needs the incentive but he still needs to prove he can deliver the goods.  

Edited by mark_my_words

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  2

This would hurt recruiting so much because the players wouldn't know who they are going to play for 

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I'm NOT saying he should be brought back.  But if he is brought back, he will be offered a short extension this off season.  You never wait until the last year to extend someone, because it hurts recruiting.  So, lF you are going to bring him back (huge IF), then yes, you offer a short term extension (1-2 years), UNLESS you want other teams to use that against USF in recruiting.  In the recruiting game, you need EVERY advantage you can get...and yes, it will be used against him in recruiting.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Good topic, smazza. I think if we go bowling this year, get another good round of recruiting, and then come out of the gate showing continued improvement (first 5-6 games), then maybe offer 2-year extension. I like most of BD's thoughts too.