• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF a Better Coaching Job Than Miami?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

https://twitter.com/UCFSports?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

I really just don't get all of the love for O'Leary and UCF in general.  If you scroll through all of these tweets you see other coaches praising him talking about how he put the conference on the map, you've got ESPN folk stating that they are a better job than Miami (never thought those words would come out of my mouth), that they are the "next up" in expansion, free beer, free Uber, and all of this without any wins this year. 

I think it was the ESPN and expansion comments that bothered me the most.  Are there facilities really better than Miami's?  Are our's better than Miami's?  I guess I am just a tad ignorant on that. 

Edited by ArmyBull

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

Miami football certainly has a richer history than UCF with Miami having all its past National Championships and all.  But in future. long term UCF might be better football gig now for a coach.  Aren't UM president, administration, and trustees less supportive of UM athletics after all the scandals UM football has tried to endure recent decades....kinda just fed up in general dumping money into the football team and getting nothing but bad publicity all the time.  UM seems more interested in academics now, and less supportive of its sports teams.  Which head football coach job will pay more...UCF or UM? 

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

Are you seriously putting stock in  Paul Finebaum, a SEC homer who loves to rile up the backwoods, bucktoothed SEC fan base, and Danny Kenell, a FSU alumnus who has no love for Miami?

UM has a national fan base.  UM has a fan base that extends far past its alumni base.  UM has 5 national championships, and they won them starting in the 1980's, not in the early 1900's like ND and Army.

UM is in the ACC, while there is no guarantee that UCF will ever get a bump out of the AAC.

Anyone who says UCF is a better job than UM is either a complete moron or someone just trying to stir the pot to get media buzz.

Edited by hightechbull
  • Upvote 3

Are you seriously putting stock in  Paul Finebaum, a SEC homer who loves to rile up the backwoods, bucktoothed SEC fan base, and Danny Kenell, a FSU alumnus who has no love for Miami?

UM has a national fan base.  UM has a fan base that extends far past its alumni base.  UM has 5 national championships, and they won them starting in the 1980's, not in the early 1900's like ND and Army.

UM is in the ACC, while there is no guarantee that UCF will ever get a bump out of the AAC.

Anyone who says UCF is a better job than UM is either a complete moron or someone just trying to stir the pot to get media buzz.

I just copied a link.  No where did I say I agreed or put stock in the statements.  Do they bother me, yes, they do.  I have been pumped full of pro UCF media for the last few years.  Now, finally, a dumpster fire ensues and somehow they get free stuff and continued POSITIVE media attention.  It baffles me.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2,323
  • Content Count:  21,266
  • Days Won:  10

No, UM is better.  So is U. of South Carolina if that is the next question.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

Miami football certainly has a richer history than UCF with Miami having all its past National Championships and all.  But in future. long term UCF might be better football gig now for a coach.  Aren't UM president, administration, and trustees less supportive of UM athletics after all the scandals UM football has tried to endure recent decades....kinda just fed up in general dumping money into the football team and getting nothing but bad publicity all the time.  UM seems more interested in academics now, and less supportive of its sports teams.  Which head football coach job will pay more...UCF or UM? 

Had a conversation with a UM grad who stays abreast of football there.  His thoughts are that Shalala (sp?) wanted to get rid of the Thug U stuff and actually, you know, put students in the student athlete positions.  Until she is gone, which is soon from what he said, you can expect UM to struggle in football.  

Had a conversation with a UM grad who stays abreast of football there.  His thoughts are that Shalala (sp?) wanted to get rid of the Thug U stuff and actually, you know, put students in the student athlete positions.  Until she is gone, which is soon from what he said, you can expect UM to struggle in football.  

Interesting, but I don't understand it.  It's not like their recruiting is suffering.  Per Rivals, for 2016, they are currently ranked 9th, 2015 they were 26th, 2014 they were 12th, 2013 20th.  Those numbers are outstanding and place them 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in the ACC every year.     Yearly top 25 recruiting classes do not correlate to a talent issue to me, if that is what he was getting at.  

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  102
  • Days Won:  0

(being completely objective on this)

When comparing Miami and UCF jobs, it has to be more than just money an athletic department can pay.  Facilities, OCS, indoor practice field, room for growth (facility expansion), fan support (loyalty/nut huggers), access to recruiting grounds, etc..

Based on all of the above, I would have to say UCF > UM.  And not just for the above listing.  One would have to think, if UCF gets the right guy for their program, that guy could be the one to either help the AAC become part of the discussion (Power 6), or, possibly take them to a P5 conference when realignment rears it's ugly head again.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

For coaches who want to win a national championship and play in big bowls and be featured on espn game day and win huge rivalry games on the national stage, UM is a better job.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

For coaches who want to win a national championship and play in big bowls and be featured on espn game day and win huge rivalry games on the national stage, UM is a better job.

uhhh...yes. More history, more talent, P5, locale, paycheck...need we go on, really?