• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Am I the only one happy about this

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

As much as I hate ESPN (I can no longer tolerate Sportscenter), I have to say I'm thankful for it.  Yes, we screwed ourselves not signing that BE deal, but salvaging the fact that every American home game is required to be on some sort of broadcast ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNNews, ESPN3, or sold to CBSSN.  I am able to watch every game as an out of state alumni.

This, with the correction that we didn't screw ourselves, but programs with one foot already out the door did.  

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,743
  • Days Won:  17

I guess I'm not the only one not paying for espn anymore. If the BULLS are on the road I'll go to Selmon's and watch there. So four times this year I'll watch espn. 

Cut cable two years ago, tired of paying for moral and spiritual pollution.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

What this means is that when the AAC TV contract comes up in a few years, it once again will be lowballed and we will end up with less TV dollars.  Can't you see that? 

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

What this means is that when the AAC TV contract comes up in a few years, it once again will be lowballed and we will end up with less TV dollars.  Can't you see that? 

We have to figure a way out of this conference by 2019-2020, if not, we are screwed regardless.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

Only watch ESPN when our game is on. Other than that, I don't watch any sports networks.

I'm with you

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Kinda depends on the level of competition we field, doesn't it? If we keep putting teams in the T25, networks will have to take notice. We've had a few very entertaining games on TV this year (Cincy/Memphis comes to mind). Conspiracies aside, I really think those kind of games create demand...especially if we beat or scare P5 teams.

Speak with the wallet! I believe they had a major role in the conference realignment. I see AAC being good as a doomsday scenario for the status quo. They will want to quickly wall off the money in the P5 and stop scheduling us to preserve the myth.

P5 teams will never stop scheduling G5 teams (or even FCS teams)...

Consider they all want EIGHT home games per year if possible, SEVEN if not.  They cannot schedule that many games against P5 only schools.

Plus a lot of people like some of the existing traditions... such as Iowa vs Northern Iowa... or Notre Dame vs Navy.

USF will still get picked up to play P5 teams.

One of the benefits -- The B1G contract comes up first... and the Big Ten people were talking $50 million per school per year... but if ESPN is not able to get into a bidding war with Fox, then Fox can re-bid.

We'll see how things shake out.

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

53 minutes ago, deters- said:

Only watch ESPN when our game is on. Other than that, I don't watch any sports networks.

I'm with you

Do you pay for cable, or any service that carries ESPN? You pay up front with your subscription, they don't care if you don't watch. The advertisers do, or will, but there would have to be a huge drop in viewers to effect them.

Edited by BDYZR

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

No mention of advertising sales or ratings. ESPN still has tons and tons of viewers and may be spending more on their content, but the content may also be generating higher ratings and more advertising dollars. Look at the playoff college football ratings. 

Also, how much does drop in subscribers just a  trend of people dropping cable in general and has nothing to do with ESPN?

These numbers don't really tell us anything except ESPN pays more for content (maybe it is worth more and has 2x the ratings? Maybe not). And that there are less cable subscribers. Which is a general trend and may not have any effect on ESPN ratings or advertising sales, only their cable per subscriber fee, which is not unique to espn with the rise of streaming like netflix and hbo.