• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  151
  • Days Won:  0

You sure about that?

When Harlan said before the season started that if we didn't get to a bowl that there would be some major changes, yeah I'm pretty sure CWT would be gone. 

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

I think disastrous would be if we look like we did last season and early this season.  If we're competitive and just get beat at Navy, ECU, and Temple and beat UCF, I think he sticks around.

I agree with you this scenario he sticks around... it feels a bit like Holtz's last season where he didn't have to win but he did have to look competitive. That being said I have a hard time believing we put a competitive effort in and don't win 1 of those 4 games.

Taggart benefits as much from the team putting things together over past few weeks as he does the landscape around college football.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

When Harlan said before the season started that if we didn't get to a bowl that there would be some major changes, yeah I'm pretty sure CWT would be gone. 

I don't remember that.  Do you have a link or does someone else remember Harlan saying that specifcally?

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

I don't remember that.  Do you have a link or does someone else remember Harlan saying that specifcally?

Don't worry.  He wont find any... because Harlan never said that.

In fact, here, I'll help:

http://www.theledger.com/article/20141130/SPORTS19/141139998

“This university’s too special to not have a team in a bowl game,” said Harlan, who saw the first Bulls team on his watch finish 4-8.

“There’s other measurables I’m excited about. I like our recruiting, I like what we’re doing off the field, I like what we’re doing in the classroom. But certainly we need to win more football games.”

While Harlan was unwilling to say a ‘15 bowl is mandatory for Taggart, most will presume it’s an unspoken reality. For Taggart, 6-18 in two seasons at USF, it’s an expectation.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/colleges/usf-bulls/usf-athletic-director-says-its-a-big-year-for-football-team-taggart-20150803/

Q: Nearly every preseason magazine has Willie Taggart on the so-called hot seat. What must he do to satisfy you in his third season?

A: I definitely don’t set any numbers of wins or anything of that nature. I want to see a really good football team. I want it to have a chance to win every Saturday and win a bunch of those games. Look, Willie and I talk daily, if not hourly. We are on the same page to move this program forward. It’s his third year, and you tend to see your philosophies engrained at that point. We have high expectations — on and off the field — and I think this is the year we’re going to see that in competition.

Not going to happen! There are four bowls in Florida. As soon as we get six wins one will want an in state team at their bowl. Winning six is all that it will take...no debate.

It is worth noting that (unless this has changed) a 6 win team can only go if every 7+ win team that is eligible has already been selected. That is not true for say an 8 win team having to be selected ahead of a 7 win team. I don't disagree with your fundamental statement though - win 6 and we are in.

“This university’s too special to not have a team in a bowl game,” said Harlan, who saw the first Bulls team on his watch finish 4-8.

“There’s other measurables I’m excited about. I like our recruiting, I like what we’re doing off the field, I like what we’re doing in the classroom. But certainly we need to win more football games.”

While Harlan was unwilling to say a ‘15 bowl is mandatory for Taggart, most will presume it’s an unspoken reality. For Taggart, 6-18 in two seasons at USF, it’s an expectation.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/colleges/usf-bulls/usf-athletic-director-says-its-a-big-year-for-football-team-taggart-20150803/

Q: Nearly every preseason magazine has Willie Taggart on the so-called hot seat. What must he do to satisfy you in his third season?

A: I definitely don’t set any numbers of wins or anything of that nature. I want to see a really good football team. I want it to have a chance to win every Saturday and win a bunch of those games. Look, Willie and I talk daily, if not hourly. We are on the same page to move this program forward. It’s his third year, and you tend to see your philosophies engrained at that point. We have high expectations — on and off the field — and I think this is the year we’re going to see that in competition.

That part about "on and off the field" is ... interesting

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

There is actually large debate about this.  For example, the St. Pete Bowl (or whatever it is) prefers to have fan bases come that will buy hotel rooms and such, USF fans will not.  

I've bought a hotel room every time I went to the St Pete Bowl -- way too drunk to drive back to Tampa over that bridge.

Edited by Raetus

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I've bought a hotel room every time I went to the St Pete Bowl -- way too drunk to drive back to Tampa over that bridge.

Odd, most people just rent a hotel room.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

You may find it interested that Harlan has likely said a lot of things in the last several months that did not get into the paper.

Are you sure that the poster was talking about what he said in a press conference instead of something he may have said at a booster club meeting or a one on one conversation?

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

Odd, most people just rent a hotel room.

Ah semantical arguments: the bastion of boredom.