• Join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other Bulls fans!

USF, The American, Top 25, and Profitability

Being in a power conference obviously makes it easier. But I think right now, USF isn't in a bad spot in the American. If we can develop talent and use what we have (facilities, funding, etc.), we can certainly rebuild our program and get into the top 25 again. Look at Temple, Memphis, and Houston (in no special order), if they can do it, why not USF?

(1) Recruit and develop players, and coach well on game day.

(2) Win games and get the fans back in the stands. And then gain new fans. We've lost more fans than gained new ones in recent years, I would argue.

(3) Make USF football profitable, again (ticket sales, better bowls, etc.).

Beating SMU this weekend would be a really big first step in the right direction.

*With all that said, I'm still on the Dark Side... I don't know if CWT is the man to do it. Beat SMU and I may feel differently.

Members do not see this ad, Register

Look at Boise State... they entered the national discussion by beating up the MWC and keeping Peterson happy for a long time.  Now they tend to get some benefit of the doubt to start the season... but if losing Peterson means they start losing a few games per year, they will fade faster than their blue carpet.

The American can get that kind of attention more than one team because it has much better TV package now... It does take winning consistently... 6-2 in conference won't cut it.  The American really needs two or three teams to always be the ones contending for the title and going 7-1 and 8-0 in conference every year, and winning OOC againt P5 schools... If the conference can see that happen, it will draw more interest and a larger TV contract.  While the American will never be a P5 level conference, it can get more respect... but if the top 2-3 teams change year after year - then it will never be able to move past G5 respectability.

That will be hard because AAC coaching jobs are almost all "stepping stones" ... you can expect Fuente will be gone from Memphis.  Maybe before the bowl game, but certainly in a couple of years if he maintains this level of success.  Same thing for just about every other school... heck, even Taggart could look to move on if he has success here and becomes a hot name.

For USF the recpie your listed, Vader, is what we need:

1 - Recruit talented players.  Not necessarily 4- and 5-star players, but players that can be shaped and molded... that fit the system... and that have the work ethic needed.  USF needs to be the top 1 or 2 recruiting classes in the conference every year.

2 - Coach up the players.  This is often the hardest part - not just because we need good coaches, but because we need coachable players.  Good assistant coaches will not be here for more than a couple of years... if USF is successful, then they will look to advance their careers... if USF is not successful, the head coach will need to make staff changes.

3 - Winning games brings the fans.  Yes, an exciting product on the field helps as well... but people like to support a winner.  They like to spend money on a winner.  Football, at it's base level, is about entertainment.  So if we are not entertained, we will not go to games or buy merchandise. 

That said... if 1 and 2 are solid, 3 will take care of itself.  Winning will make USF more profitable... Winning will bring in more donors... That was proven in the early 2000s...

And yes... it starts tomorrow at 4:00pm.  #BeatSMU

1379407034_sitting_on_the_fence1.jpgBeing in a power conference obviously makes it easier. But I think right now, USF isn't in a bad spot in the American. If we can develop talent and use what we have (facilities, funding, etc.), we can certainly rebuild our program and get into the top 25 again. Look at Temple, Memphis, and Houston (in no special order), if they can do it, why not USF?

(1) Recruit and develop players, and coach well on game day.

(2) Win games and get the fans back in the stands. And then gain new fans. We've lost more fans than gained new ones in recent years, I would argue.

(3) Make USF football profitable, again (ticket sales, better bowls, etc.).

Beating SMU this weekend would be a really big first step in the right direction.

*With all that said, I'm still on the Dark Side... I don't know if CWT is the man to do it. Beat SMU and I may feel differently.

I'm not sure the OTHER conferences have to agree... in reality, it's about national perception... so ESPN has to say the American is a Power conference.

Then the NCAA has to add the American to the "autonomy" governance... and while the other conferences have some say there, it's all of Division I that decides that.

So I'm guessing the other conferences would be looking at the AAC's body of work over the last few years (UCF's bowl victory over Baylor, etc...)? I'm wondering if there are exact guidelines or metrics that need to be met, or do we just hope that we impress the other conferences enough the be invited into the P5?