• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Temple v ECU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I'm not opposed to sprinkling in a few well disguised and well timed DB blitzes here and there, but I just don't like the idea of our LBs in coverage. Hence, I hope for D line domination. Hill seems to be coming on strong as of late.

Agreed w/ LBs in coverage.  Completely.  100%.  

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Agreed w/ LBs in coverage.  Completely.  100%.  

...and every team that's watched the tapes will shoot for that. 100%.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  144
  • Days Won:  2

Temple has a pretty good pass rush, but I think our Diamond formation with 3 backs could be devastating. They won't know whether the ball is coming inside or outside, and we have blockers on the outside, and our athletes at the skill positions are better / faster than their LBs. We will be able to run the ball on them. And we should run the ball all game long unless Adams and Barr are busting coverage consistently. Then and only then, throw TD passes. Temple is very winnable. We have the right offense to beat them. They are not built to play from behind (even though they have managed to win a couple games this way), so getting up early will be key. 

As for ECU -- they scare me. So much talent at QB and receiver. I think they will complete passes regardless of the pass rush. Those dink-n-dunk plays have the ball out of the QB's hands almost before anyone knows the ball has even moved. God save us if they key in on Fullwood. He couldn't tackle a mannequin. So ya... I think we'll be able to move the ball on ECU, but they will probably move the ball on us too. I expect a high-scoring game. I don't like those situations. Could be a "last person with the ball wins" kinda game. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I think letting the DBs play man coverage is the next self-imposed hurdle the coaches need to overcome.  We get burned in zone coverage more often than not.  That's my big concern.  I don't have a problem with an occasional corner or safety blitz, possibly on early downs.  

Yeah but man generally means everyone is man including the LBs.  Not sure our LBs can cover in man. Also not sure our back 7 is mature enough yet to mix coverages with the DBs man and the rest zone. 

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

As for ECU -- they scare me. So much talent at QB and receiver. I think they will complete passes regardless of the pass rush. Those dink-n-dunk plays have the ball out of the QB's hands almost before anyone knows the ball has even moved. God save us if they key in on Fullwood. He couldn't tackle a mannequin. So ya... I think we'll be able to move the ball on ECU, but they will probably move the ball on us too. I expect a high-scoring game. I don't like those situations. Could be a "last person with the ball wins" kinda game. 

I don't have the football I.Q. to argue with you, but how do they stack up against Memphis offense wise? I feel like the Bulls pen is a place where we've started negating our own accomplishments in favor of the opposing team. If we can hold back the most dynamic offense in our conference, when they were firing on all cylinders, then why can't we do the same to one that I'm assuming isn't as good? Why is the next opponent always the biggest test we have faced so far?

Edited by TromBull12

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

I don't have the football I.Q. to argue with you, but how do they stack up against Memphis offense wise? I feel like the Bulls pen is a place where we've started negating our own accomplishments in favor of the opposing team. If we can hold back the most dynamic offense in our conference, when they were firing on all cylinders, then why can't we do the same to one that I'm assuming isn't as good? Why is the next opponent always the biggest test we have faced so far?

just a guess, but maybe because we haven't played them yet and people are still gun shy in believing we've turned the corner 

• Topic Count:  1,025
  • Content Count:  7,473
  • Days Won:  10

I'm not opposed to sprinkling in a few well disguised and well timed DB blitzes here and there, but I just don't like the idea of our LBs in coverage. Hence, I hope for D line domination. Hill seems to be coming on strong as of late.

I agree.  My concern isn't with our DBs, it's with our LBs covering TEs and RBs .  It seems that Temple was able to get the ball consistently to their TEs over the middle, something that we've seen our opponents do consistently against us this year.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  144
  • Days Won:  2

o don't have the football I.Q. to argue with you, but how do they stack up against Memphis offense wise. I feel like the Bulls pen is a place where we've started negating our own accomplishments in favor of the opposing team. If we can hold back the most dynamic offense in our conference when they were firing on all cylinders, why can't we do the same to one that I'm assuming isn't as good? Why is the next opponent always the biggest test we have faced so far?

It's all about the matchups. How does our defense (strengths and weaknesses) match up against their offense? Are there any personel mismatches that will allow them to move the ball against us? I think we match up better against Memphis than ECU. ECU doesn't need great pass protection to move the ball, thus making our defensive line (our strength) less important than the DBs and LBs. Our linebackers have sucked in pass coverage. They are pretty good against the run when they remember to actually tackle instead of bouncing off of people. That's why I think ECU will be harder to defend than Memphis. Doesn't mean they have a better offense, just that we're less well equiped to deal with it. 

I agree.  My concern isn't with our DBs, it's with our LBs covering TEs and RBs .  It seems that Temple was able to get the ball consistently to their TEs over the middle, something that we've seen our opponents do consistently against us this year.

EVERY YEAR... that is a problem USF has had for a decade or more... and it is a problem A LOT of teams have.  LBs are not good at pass defense, and generally play zone... and when you have 2 LBs that leaves gaps in the zones.