• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF just became the first....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  3

Hahahahahaha, your basis of rivals comparison is OSU and UM.

I'm with you on a rivalry when the game is upon us.  It's seven weeks out and one team is .500 and the other is .000.  Not much to talk about.  I rarely see any UCF people on here talking nonsense.  I see lots of our own.

The comparison makes sense to me.  We are where we are and UCF is our rival (one that I hope we can leave behind someday).  But given that they are a rival, our hopes for their failures goes beyond game day.  Once local recruits realize they cannot start for a P5 team or don't want to ride the bench for one, they will look at us and UCF.  Right now I would think we are gaining an advantage, no?

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  211
  • Content Count:  1,829
  • Days Won:  1

UCF's close call

The Orlando Sentinel coverage of University of Central Florida football this season has been stellar, as have the opinions expressed by columnists about Coach George O'Leary and his dual role as coach and athletic director.

I recall a time when UCF football almost went out of business. It was in the early '80s, and I was the director of development for the UCF Foundation. Then-President Trevor Colbourn, who started the program, walked into my office and sat down.

He said, "Jim, I can't meet payroll for the football team next week. What am I going to do?" While I was not responsible for athletic fundraising, only academic, I was puzzled as to why he came to me.

So I suggested he pick up the phone and call Wayne Densch of Densch Beer Distributing in Sanford, who was a supporter. I told Colbourn to invite him out for a drink and tell him the challenge he was facing. Colbourn didn't say a word and walked out of my office, and I thought I was in real trouble.

Three days later, he came back to my office, reached in his pocket and pulled out a check from Densch and said to me, "Anybody else you think I should have a drink with?"

That was the first time Densch saved the program. Although UCF is having a losing season, at least today it can meet payroll.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I live really close to UCF, so for me, their demise is great!

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I live really close to UCF, so for me, their demise is great!

I work really close to UCF, and oh the conversations I overhear...awesome. The UCF apparel worn around the office has dried up to a couple of guys, and there's no football schedule posted on the walls anymore. I dunno, too soon to post a Bulls schedule? :evil:

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

I work really close to UCF, and oh the conversations I overhear...awesome. The UCF apparel worn around the office has dried up to a couple of guys, and there's no football schedule posted on the walls anymore. I dunno, too soon to post a Bulls schedule? :evil:

just get some usf stickers and put it on the 26th of November on everybody's calendar :D

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

just get some usf stickers and put it on the 26th of November on everybody's calendar :D

I like that idea, little subtle but excellent troll. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,109
  • Days Won:  6

The comparison makes sense to me.  We are where we are and UCF is our rival (one that I hope we can leave behind someday).  But given that they are a rival, our hopes for their failures goes beyond game day.  Once local recruits realize they cannot start for a P5 team or don't want to ride the bench for one, they will look at us and UCF.  Right now I would think we are gaining an advantage, no?

As much as I would love to see us move beyond them, I am afraid to tell you that it will never happen.  

Well, I shouldn't say never but I can't envision a more realistic scenario than a giant sink hole swallowing up their campus (while miraculously not injuring anyone hopefully).

Edited by mark_my_words

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

As much as I would love to see us move beyond them, I am afraid to tell you that it will never happen.  

Well, I shouldn't say never but I can't envision a more realistic scenario than a giant sink hole swallowing up their campus (while miraculously not injuring anyone hopefully).

fify. I think this can easily happen.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,944
  • Days Won:  12

I love everything about this.

I even love the qf dance. I hope he never changes it.