• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CWT, is USF his OJT?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

I love seeing more and more optimism but man can we love in the moment and enjoy what we have right now? 

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

I have also said this before, there are many positive things that CWT brings to the table as a head coach. For example, He is willing to change things up as far as staff is concerned to try and improve, which honestly hasn't been the case for all other HC. He is def growing as a HC but he is young and that is to be expected.

I don't fault CWT being hesitant about letting QF throw, it's clear it's not the strongest part of his game. When accounting for real passing situations QF cmp % is not great and TD to INT might be ~1-2 even for the last few games. But something we are seein is CWT is realizing he has to pass otherwise Ds will drop to many guys in the box. Even with the great back field we have we can't over come numbers. Credit to QF though in the last couple of games he has made 2-3 throws when we really needed them! That's not to mention his running ability which was never in question.

Not sure what this means, but he's got 10 TDs and 6 INTs.  And, don't look now, but this "liability throwing QB" is on pace to tie the record for most TDs in a season, 20 set by Blackwell, in 2001.  And, he didn't pad his stats v FAMU

I'm not suggesting he's in our top 5 QBs...but just that your stats aren't compelling.  He's at 63%, and improved every game since FSU.  Yes, some are short, but that's all part of the game.

Just enjoy, as a Bulls fan, watching this kid mature & find ways to win.  They've learned how to win...we should learn to enjoy the wins, too.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

So you don't fault the coach for having his QB do more of what does well and less of what he doesn't do as well? That's mighty kind of you.

54982140.jpg

Some do though...

Edited by Bull-Hornz

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

If we make it to a bowl game, Taggart gets one more year.

Next year, I hope that we win the division - especially with Woulard as QB

(Flowers as back up)

If Quinton shores up his passing accuracy, it'll probably be a tight competition for QB. He's getting invaluable game experience right now, and capitalizing!

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

Not sure what this means, but he's got 10 TDs and 6 INTs.  And, don't look now, but this "liability throwing QB" is on pace to tie the record for most TDs in a season, 20 set by Blackwell, in 2001.  And, he didn't pad his stats v FAMU

I'm not suggesting he's in our top 5 QBs...but just that your stats aren't compelling.  He's at 63%, and improved every game since FSU.  Yes, some are short, but that's all part of the game.

Just enjoy, as a Bulls fan, watching this kid mature & find ways to win.  They've learned how to win...we should learn to enjoy the wins, too.

I agree, maybe it's just that WE need better coaching...

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

I would agree that CWT seems to be growing as a coach.  

I believe Tomey, Kinnan and Hope are expediting the maturation process.

Kudos to CWT for dumping the dead weight in Wulff and Breezy (UCiF buyers remorse perhaps?) and actually listening to those around him.

Edited by El_Toro_86

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

http://www.campusrush.com/coaching-carousel-memphis-justin-fuente-1411585585.html

Saw this buried within a larger article about hot mid-major coaches.

"7. Doc Holliday, Marshall: He's 29–6 the past three seasons, 3–0 in bowl games in his career and his teams play a wide-open style that's attractive to recruits and ADs. He's also a prolific recruiter of South Florida, which should put him in the mix at USF, UCF and Miami. Marshall is 6–1 and headed for another double-digit win season."

Apparently, there's going to be openings at USF, UCF, and Miami.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

http://www.campusrush.com/coaching-carousel-memphis-justin-fuente-1411585585.html

Saw this buried within a larger article about hot mid-major coaches.

"7. Doc Holliday, Marshall: He's 29–6 the past three seasons, 3–0 in bowl games in his career and his teams play a wide-open style that's attractive to recruits and ADs. He's also a prolific recruiter of South Florida, which should put him in the mix at USF, UCF and Miami. Marshall is 6–1 and headed for another double-digit win season."

Apparently, there's going to be openings at USF, UCF, and Miami.

Not sold on Marshall or Doc until they actually start playing tougher teams.  They purposely schedule one of the most easiest OOC game schedule in the FBS, and CUSA's strength isn't much better

Year, Standing, #SOS

• 2015 - (6-1) - #138
  • 2014 - (13-1) - #124
  • 2013 - (10-4) - #122
  • 2012 - (5-7) - #104

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

Looks to me that they basically decided to drop any difficult OOC games in order to get more wins.

I may be wrong, but I can see him as a Skip Holtz type coach.  Great at the lower level, but may not be good when player against a tighter conference.  But will need to provide evidence otherwise.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Skin, I don't know if you meant OJT as a pejorative or not. On one hand you can look at CWT learning and training while on the job.

I prefer to look at it as a coach growing and learning. He's let go his "system" and moved to something else. He's still a run first coach and probably always will be. However, we are watching a guy learning to trust the staff around him and the players around him.  If he can get to a bowl this year I think that bodes well for his future because it's clear he can get the talent here. Now coach em up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1