• Join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other Bulls fans!

CWT, is USF his OJT?

I need a few more games,  that's for sure,  but are we seeing a coach grow up in front of us? 

I have seen him go outside the good ol'boy network and hire coaches with better knowledge, he "looks" like he's beginning to get out of his own way, and well, he has started to act like a coach versus a players buddy.

Just my opinion,  of course, but here's to hoping I guess

Edited by Skingraft
  • Upvote 3

Members do not see this ad, Register

2 games in a row now.  Not 100% convinced yet.  I'd like to see how we do against SMU and then how we will play against a team where we're an underdog.  I do think it's becoming very clear that running up the middle on 1st and 2nd down every time and then trying to get 3rd and long with a screen pass does not work.  Even in the 1st half on the UConn game, it didn't work.

I like how when we have a lead we are still trying to score and not just run clock.

• Upvote 2

I have also said this before, there are many positive things that CWT brings to the table as a head coach. For example, He is willing to change things up as far as staff is concerned to try and improve, which honestly hasn't been the case for all other HC. He is def growing as a HC but he is young and that is to be expected.

I don't fault CWT being hesitant about letting QF throw, it's clear it's not the strongest part of his game. When accounting for real passing situations QF cmp % is not great and TD to INT might be ~1-2 even for the last few games. But something we are seein is CWT is realizing he has to pass otherwise Ds will drop to many guys in the box. Even with the great back field we have we can't over come numbers. Credit to QF though in the last couple of games he has made 2-3 throws when we really needed them! That's not to mention his running ability which was never in question.

I have also said this before, there are many positive things that CWT brings to the table as a head coach. For example, He is willing to change things up as far as staff is concerned to try and improve, which honestly hasn't been the case for all other HC. He is def growing as a HC but he is young and that is to be expected.

I don't fault CWT being hesitant about letting QF throw, it's clear it's not the strongest part of his game. When accounting for real passing situations QF cmp % is not great and TD to INT might be ~1-2 even for the last few games. But something we are seein is CWT is realizing he has to pass otherwise Ds will drop to many guys in the box. Even with the great back field we have we can't over come numbers. Credit to QF though in the last couple of games he has made 2-3 throws when we really needed them! That's not to mention his running ability which was never in question.

So you don't fault the coach for having his QB do more of what does well and less of what he doesn't do as well? That's mighty kind of you.

• Upvote 2

We're definitely a different situation than WKU for him, to say the least. I don't know that I ever saw him as a player's buddy, since from day 1 he was talking about getting to work and having that blue-collar mentality. But when he left WKU, they had a pretty good team mentality for scrapping and not giving up. It's taken a while to inject here, but hopefully these last couple of weeks have helped spread the virus. TBPH, I think QF has helped a lot.

• Upvote 1

Let's re-evaluate at the end of the season, but I do feel Taggart has loosened up the reins on the offense and is trusting his team to do more.

Let me put it this way - I've enjoyed watching the offense the last couple of weeks.  

Yes...and I haven't been able to say that since the BJ Daniels days (and then, only in many, not all).