• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NCAA stats after games of 10/17

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  613
  • Days Won:  2

NICE JOB RICKY THANKS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

"Team Passing Efficiency -- #24"

Who could've predicted?  Wow.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,611
  • Days Won:  51

"Team Passing Efficiency -- #24"

Who could've predicted?  Wow.

Gotta love handoffs that count as passes :GoBulls:

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Gotta love handoffs that count as passes :GoBulls:

As long as they work, who really cares?

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Thanks for posting, Ricky.  

We don't pass a ton (even though we've stepped it up a bit the last couple weeks) but when we have, it's mostly quick hits that are completed, like those little forward flips.  So I get the efficiency rating.  

What's standing out to me so far is that, for the most part, we're taking care of the football.  We don't lose the handle on the football much and even though the INTs can be improved, it's still not terrible.

Just a few things I want us to work on and get better at:

• Pass protection
  • Blocking for bubble screens - I like this play and if we could get better at setting it up, we have the speed to do some killing. 
  • Kickoff/punt return defense - this is probably the 2nd most important right now.  We need to do a MUCH better job coaching this.  
  • Defensively, I'd like to see less zone in the secondary.  We get burned there too much, there are always huge gaps that teams exploit.  I'd like to trust our young DBs to go man-to-man a bit more.
  • 3rd down conversions - I think this is the most important. 

Also, Willie ... PLEASE go uptempo MOAR!!!  When we pick up the pace, we seem to get bigger gains.  I'd really like us to get to the point where we are uptempo for the majority of drives.  It works when we are.  

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993

We don't pass a ton (even though we've stepped it up a bit the last couple weeks) but when we have, it's mostly quick hits that are completed, like those little forward flips.  So I get the efficiency rating.  

Actually we have passed less the last 2 weeks than we did the first 4 weeks of the season. 22 passes against Syracuse and 16 (including DJ) against UConn.  It's all about the sequencing and timing of the calls.

• Upvote 1

Actually we have passed less the last 2 weeks than we did the first 4 weeks of the season. 22 passes against Syracuse and 16 (including DJ) against UConn.  It's all about the sequencing and timing of the calls.

I posted without actually looking at our numbers, but I'm sure you're right.  I think it's the addition of more vertical passing that makes it look like we've stepped it up - at least to me.  

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993

I posted without actually looking at our numbers, but I'm sure you're right.  I think it's the addition of more vertical passing that makes it look like we've stepped it up - at least to me.  

I agree. The feel of the games has been different, especially in the second halves.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Just a quick comparison update to last years offense too: 

2014    Passing:  2361 YDs, 196 yds/game, 49.2% completion pct, 6.49 Yds/att, 11TD - 11 INT 107.6 Passer Rating  (12 games)

2015    Passing:  1110 YDS,  185 yds/game, 63.2% completion pct, 8.16 yds/att, 12 TD - 7 INT 150.6 Passer Rating  (6 games)

Slightly behind yards wise, and may end that way, but overall being much more efficient in the passing game and have already passed the TD total in just a half year. 

2014    Rushing:  1295 Yds 3.4 yds/carry, 11 TDS (12 games)

2015    Rushing:  1399 Yds 5.3 yds/carry, 11 TDS (6 games)

This is where you see the real improvement.  Already passed total yards in just half a year and equaled the TD's.  All this while everyone knowing that we're going to run.  

If I get a chance, I'll try to see where we were after 6 games last year to see just how far ahead this offense is compared to last year.  

Great comparison, Bullshiznitz.  

The less turnovers and better completion % is HUGE.  We have a few more tough tests coming up ... Hopefully we can maintain those numbers and still put up a bunch more touchdowns.