• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF will be the champs again:

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Guys, no program can sustain excellence year in and out. Notre Dame didn't win a bowl for 17 years a while back. Miami is another example. This year is an aberration rather than program direction. This is why I feel this way.

You guys were killing it a few years back. What happened?

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

How can a staff win a Fiesta Bowl while going 12-1 and then win another share of a conference title and not have huge recruiting classes? 

How does a team in the State of Florida get 35 kids over the last two years but only have 11 kids from Florida?

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  615
  • Days Won:  1

How can a staff win a Fiesta Bowl while going 12-1 and then win another share of a conference title and not have huge recruiting classes? 

How does a team in the State of Florida get 35 kids over the last two years but only have 11 kids from Florida?

1. Because O'leary treats UCF like a Program that is located on Long Island and not in the middle of Florida.

2. He has never made an effort to have a great relationship with HS Coaches in Orange and Seminole Counties.

3. David Kelly brought in underrated Miami talent and that dried up when he left.

4. The few young assistants(Callahan and Summers) that recruits related to left and got replaced by old retread coaches

• Downvote 1

1. Because O'leary treats UCF like a Program that is located on Long Island and not in the middle of Florida.

2. He has never made an effort to have a great relationship with HS Coaches in Orange and Seminole Counties.

3. David Kelly brought in underrated Miami talent and that dried up when he left.

4. The few young assistants(Callahan and Summers) that recruits related to left and got replaced by old retread coaches

Wait a minute. Did you just give us a an actual answer that makes sense to the question? You better slow your roll or we're going to start holding other UCFers to your standard.

• Upvote 2

Here's the rub then, can your next coach establish relationships in state that have been ignored for a decade or more? I'm not talking Soth Florida, talking arond Orlando and into the Space Coast.  I know talent exists all over the country but neither of our programs will be successful without having scores of local kids on our rosters. You supplement with a few players from other areas but long term we have to protect home base.  I think your fan base better be patient with the next coach on recruiting.

Oh my, an actual civil conversation on this board? 

• Upvote 1

BTW, where did Callahan go? You guys made some foray into Tampa the year or two he was there.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Hold on, all this thread needs to some Karma and Mikey (Gums) to rake this thread through the mud. I'll be waiting. :popcorn:

Hold on, all this thread needs to some Karma and Mikey (Gums) to rake this thread through the mud. I'll be waiting. :popcorn:

Mikey has been AWOL this season for some reason... but at least he has his sister to keep him company.

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

BTW, where did Callahan go? You guys made some foray into Tampa the year or two he was there.

UF IIRC

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  615
  • Days Won:  1

Here's the rub then, can your next coach establish relationships in state that have been ignored for a decade or more? I'm not talking Soth Florida, talking arond Orlando and into the Space Coast.  I know talent exists all over the country but neither of our programs will be successful without having scores of local kids on our rosters. You supplement with a few players from other areas but long term we have to protect home base.  I think your fan base better be patient with the next coach on recruiting.

Oh my, an actual civil conversation on this board? 

I hope they can. It would help if the hire is already well connected as an assistant elsewhere. The most annoying thing about O'leary is that he not only under recruits but he'll take a chance on out of State guys with no or 1 offers....if he is going to do that at least give that offer to a recruit from Florida. GOL has a very random and lazy recruiting approach, only use past connections to where he grew up or coached over a decade ago but ignore your backyard that has everything he needed to get talent On Campus.