• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

"Dance Cam!" Is there a problem here?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Days Won:  14

So, it's a Friday night.  It's a nationally televised game.  It's the first conference game of the season against one of the conference favorites.  We have a chance to go 1-0 or 0-1.  It's a huge game.  There are only about 14K fans in the stands, and it is reflective of how horrible this team has performed in the last few years.  This is the big chance to show the fans, the conference, the country, and all the doubters that this team can beat a team like Memphis.  We have been so close.  We played well and won the first half, but now its the 3rd quarter and Memphis is up 17-10.  The momentum has clearly shifted into their favor, and that familiar doubt is now settling in for the fans and probably the players and coaches, too.  But the team has had players only meetings to talk about exactly this problem--how to deal with adversity.  How they will finish strong and win this time.  Everything is on the line.  Down by 7, but not out of it.  Momentum has shifted, but we can get it back.  

But wait.  TV time out, and the Dance Cam comes on the jumbotron.  If you are not familiar with dance cam:  It's this thing the announcers do sometimes when there is a timeout and they play music over the PA system and then show shots of different people dancing in the stands.  Fun stuff.  Lots of fans get into it.  So I look down to the sideline and I see half of the BULLS players in uniform dancing on the sidelines.  I look across the field at the Memphis players, and they are not dancing.  I know I sound like a grumpy old man, but this is embarrassing.  We are LOSING.  We still have a chance to win.  I have no problem with players celebrating, and they can dance all they want as far as I'm concerned when we have finished the job with the W and the clock is at 0:00.  Even if we were blowing someone out and clearly in control of the game, I can see it.  But not now.  Not down 10-17 in the 3rd quarter with a chance to actually win.  Now is the time to be serious if you are serious.

I think this is a sign of a bigger problem.  I don't blame the players at all.  I was a kid once, and I can see why they'd want to do that.  But if we had done this in high school football, we'd have been running windsprints after the game even if we ended up winning.  I wonder if the coaches run a culture where this type of thing is considered "OK."  Just go out and have fun.  I think its a problem.  Losing should never be accepted, and this just looks to me like the guys dancing on the sidelines are OK with losing.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I think this is a sign of a deeper problem with this program.  Losing is not OK, and everyone on those sidelines is there to do a job.  They have 60 minutes to do it.  Coaches should teach these players (who play their hearts out for the most part) to at least act like they are serious when they are on the sidelines just for the 14K fans that are coming out to see a win.

End of rant.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Days Won:  1

Team reminds me a lot from like district 5 from the mighty ducks. Team thinks losing is funny and just gets used to it until Bombay takes over and makes them champions. Hopefully the next coach is a coach Bombay and brings us a few titles

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,329
  • Content Count:  96,965
  • Days Won:  469

If you watched TV, you'd see quite a bit of "dancing" or "swaying" or whatever it is called.

When I watch basketball teams warm up, 90% of the time I can tell by the behavior who is focused and prepared and going to give us a game.

I had a game to coach yesterday, then a bunch of us hauled ____ to a sports bar.  The general consensus of the group (non-USF people) was it looked a high school team.

I know I'll be asked for a link that sideline and on field antics don't change the game, but I'm clearly a tougher coach than Skippy or Willie.  I wouldn't tolerate especially as we're getting defeated in our own home.

One of these days we'll need to find our way.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

The players I saw swaying on the sideline were all guys with a jersey but ineligible to play because of injury or otherwise redshirting.  I didn't see anyone in pads joining in, might have missed it.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

If you watched TV, you'd see quite a bit of "dancing" or "swaying" or whatever it is called.

When I watch basketball teams warm up, 90% of the time I can tell by the behavior who is focused and prepared and going to give us a game.

I had a game to coach yesterday, then a bunch of us hauled ____ to a sports bar.  The general consensus of the group (non-USF people) was it looked a high school team.

I know I'll be asked for a link that sideline and on field antics don't change the game, but I'm clearly a tougher coach than Skippy or Willie.  I wouldn't tolerate especially as we're getting defeated in our own home.

Have you changed your mind about Willie?  Seems like for a long time you liked his "toughness".  Maybe I don't recall correctly.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

The players I saw swaying on the sideline were all guys with a jersey but ineligible to play because of injury or otherwise redshirting.  I didn't see anyone in pads joining in, might have missed it.

Sitting right behind the USF bench... that's what I saw too.

The ones swaying were all of the ineligible players

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,329
  • Content Count:  96,965
  • Days Won:  469

Have you changed your mind about Willie?  Seems like for a long time you liked his "toughness".  Maybe I don't recall correctly.

Willie's toughness?

Haven't seen it.

My high school basketball coach was tougher than Willie and Skip combined. 

Then again, we were 26-5 and ranked in top teams in Florida.

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  2

Sitting right behind the USF bench... that's what I saw too.

The ones swaying were all of the ineligible players

same, but I could have missed some of it.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  256
  • Days Won:  0

I'd openly smoke weed on the sideline if I was playing for USF. Worse thing Taggart could make me do is stay and keep watching. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Team reminds me a lot from like district 5 from the mighty ducks. Team thinks losing is funny and just gets used to it until Bombay takes over and makes them champions. Hopefully the next coach is a coach Bombay and brings us a few titles

At this point, I'd take a court ordered DUI offender.