• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Zebold: Offense And 'Bull Sharks' Make Plays in Scrimmage

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,328
  • Content Count:  96,947
  • Days Won:  469

Offense And 'Bull Sharks' Make Plays in Scrimmage

By TOM ZEBOLD

USF Senior Writer

TAMPA, AUG. 15, 2015 – USF’s new up-tempo offense showed its big-play ability during Saturday’s situational scrimmage at the Morsani Football Complex.

Following a first-down run by D’Ernest Johnson, Steven Bench found roommate A.J. Legree for a 25-touchdown connection over the coverage on the third drive.

“I’m probably going to have to hear about that for a week or two,” Bench said with a laugh. Bench and Legree are housemates and displayed the timing on the play that kind of bonding can provide.

Ten drives later, Tyre McCants got behind a defender, caught a perfectly placed pass from Bench and jetted down the right sideline for the 95-yard touchdown.

“I just took my one-on-one matchup on the outside and he ran a great route,” Bench said. “He did the rest, man, my part was easy.”

Johnson, Marlon Mack and Darius Tice – USF’s three-headed beast at running back – gained chunks of yards throughout the action behind a strong push from the offensive line, while sophomore quarterback Asiantii Woulard dazzled in his lone drive midway through the scrimmage. The transfer from UCLA threw a 47-yard strike up the middle to fullback Tye Turner that moved the Bulls past midfield. Woulard followed that play with a 36-yard touchdown pass to freshman receiver Chris Barr.

Battle for Starting QB Job Still Close

Bench, a senior, continues to compete for the starting quarterback spot with sophomore Quinton Flowers, who orchestrated a 94-yard drive that stalled at the two-yard line in the scrimmage. Both quarterbacks logged many positive plays and showed the ability to move the offense, but both Bench and Flowers also threw interceptions, a factor that continues to keep the position battle close. 

When asked if any QB has created some separation, Taggart replied, “Not yet.”

“We have to get to that point to where we don’t turn the ball over and we lead the offense down for scores,” Taggart said. “We want touchdowns, we want scores. We want guys that can lead us down there, not turn the ball over and do it consistently.”

Defense Wins the Day

USF’s offense made big plays, but the defense won Saturday’s scrimmage with a more consistent all-around performance.

Nicknamed the “Bull Sharks,” the defense swarmed to the ball and snatched up five turnovers.  Linebacker Zack Bullock recovered a fumble on the opening drive and Hassan Childs intercepted a pass around the defense’s own 20-yard line six drives later.

The secondary made things happen again right after Childs’ pick, when sophomore free safety Devin Abraham intercepted a deep pass with a nice over-the-shoulder grab in the end zone.

Linebacker Danny Thomas intercepted a pass during one of the red-zone situations. Childs capped off the defense's strong day with another interception near the end of the scrimmage. The junior led the Bulls with three interceptions during his true-freshman season in 2013.

“We just need to keep coming along, keep making these plays, and show them what the ‘Bull Sharks’ defense is,” senior Jamie Byrd said.

Bulls Bits

-  Mack, Johnson and Tice racked up the first-down runs Saturday with an offensive line steadily paving the way. USF's big guys up front also shined in several pass-protection plays. “The O-line is working as hard as they can possibly work, and they’ve done a great job this camp,” Bench said.

- The Bulls will get to show what they can do in at least one more scrimmage before the season opener. “This (scrimmage) was trying to teach our guys to understand the situation. The next scrimmage will be more game-like,” Taggart said.

- Taggart said receiver Stanley Clerveaux is out for the season with a knee injury he suffered earlier this week in practice. “He tore his ACL, and possibly his LCL. I hate it for the kid. It’s two years in a row he’s had surgery and it puts him out for the season," Taggart said. "He had a good spring and a really good camp. I was expecting big things from him, but unfortunately he won’t be with us on the field."

- Former Bulls continue to show their support at practice as Louis Gachette attended Saturday’s scrimmage. Gachette, a former Immokalee High School standout, played defensive back for USF from 2005-08.

- One NFL team got a good look at the Bulls on Saturday. Watching the scrimmage from the sidelines was a scout from the Cleveland Browns.

Link

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

"We have to get to that point to where we don’t turn the ball over and we lead the offense down for scores,â€...

Translation...QF need to stop turing the ball over and score otherwise I am going to start Bench

I am started to get frustrated...it's clear Bench can move the offense better but needs to get those d$&n ints undercontrol. CWT keeps talking like he wants QF to take the rains regardless....

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,434
  • Days Won:  422

"We have to get to that point to where we don’t turn the ball over and we lead the offense down for scores,â€...

Translation...QF need to stop turing the ball over and score otherwise I am going to start Bench

I am started to get frustrated...it's clear Bench can move the offense better but needs to get those d$&n ints undercontrol. CWT keeps talking like he wants QF to take the rains regardless....

Your translating makes it appear that he wants QF to take the reins regardless ...

I like your translation...

Good point ... My translation was "Bench needs to stop throwing ******* interceptions and Q needs to finish his **** 93 yd drives!" .... I curse more than CWT does.

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

I like your translation as well...and your translation of my translation....

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Good point ... My translation was "Bench needs to stop throwing ******* interceptions and Q needs to finish his **** 93 yd drives!" .... I curse more than CWT does.

But QF doesn't throw INTs because it is tough on the defense for the defense to intercept when the passes are bounced to the receiver.

From the limited amount we've seen, AW seems like the best QB on the team by a country mile.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

AW is the best thrower of the ball. None of them has shown that they are even average college QBs yet.

But QF doesn't throw INTs because it is tough on the defense for the defense to intercept when the passes are bounced to the receiver.

From the limited amount we've seen, AW seems like the best QB on the team by a country mile.

What you mean "we", White man?

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

AW is the best thrower of the ball. None of them has shown that they are even average college QBs yet.

+1, it's the cry we've had since BJ went out--no QB looks consistent enough to give us faith in this "new era".

I had really hoped (as I do every year) one of them would start shining by now, so I hope the flashes will become the norm soon...