• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference Football TV Revenue.... WOW

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

TV deals for major conferences Story Highlights

In addition to its own network, the Big Ten has deals with ABC, ESPN and CBS

The ACC, Big 12 and Pac-10 are preparing to negotiate new deals as theirs expire

The SEC's contracts with CBS and ESPN are the richest per year in college sports

Follow Stewart Mandel

The SEC's new 15-year television contracts with ESPN and CBS are the richest (per year) in college sports. For some perspective, here's the reported value of the current network/national cable contracts for the nation's major conferences:

SEC

• ESPN: 15 years, $2.25 billion

• CBS: 15 years, $825 million

(Both deals run through 2023-2024.)

MANDEL: What the SEC's deal means for the sport

Big Ten

• Big Ten Network: 25 years, $2.8 billion* through 2031-32

• ABC/ESPN: 10 years, $1 billion through 2016

• CBS: 10 years, $20 million for basketball through 2018-19

ACC

• ABC/ESPN: Seven years, $258 million

• Raycom Sports: 10 years, $300 million for basketball

(Both run through 2010-11.)

Big 12

• ABC/ESPN: Eight years, $480 million through 2015-16

• Fox Sports Net: Four years, $78 million through 2011-12

Pac-10

• ABC/ESPN: Five years, $125 million for football

• Fox Sports Net: Five years, $97 million for football

• ABC/ESPN: Six years, $52.5 million for basketball

(All run through 2011-12.)

Big East

• ABC/ESPN: Six years, $200 million through 2013

Mountain West

• Comcast/CBS College Sports/The Mtn.: Seven years, $82 million through 2013-14

Conference USA

• CBS College Sports: Six years, $45.8 million

• ESPN: Six years, $22 million through 2010-11

Exact terms for the MAC, WAC and Sun Belt could not be located.

* -- projected revenue

Source: Sports Business Journal

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/stewart_mandel/07/24/tv-deals/index.html

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/stewart_mandel/07/24/tv-deals/index.html#ixzz0ZnUMlEOb

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

• Content Count:  66,066
  • Days Won:  172

and u guys dont think congress should get involved?

man i wish the kids would form a union or association.THEY ARE GETTING SCREWED

• Content Count:  771

Those conferences get the money because they bring in the money.  It would be nice if USF could join the sec, but that is wishful thinking. :D

(smazza) please!!!  Unions...give me a break!!! 

• Content Count:  1,386

SEC

Between ESPN and CBS they are getting $205M per year for 12 teams or $17M per team average for the next 15 years.

Big Ten

Between the Big Ten Network, ABC/ESPN and CBS they are getting $214M per year for 11 teams until 2016 or an average of $19.454M per team.

ACC

Between ABC/ESPN and Raycom Sports they are getting $66.86M next year which is more than $5.5M per team.

Big 12

Between ABC/ESPN and Fox they are getting $79.5M per year until 2012 and that is $6.625M per team.

Pac-10

Between ABC/ESPN and Fox they are getting $53.15M per year until 2012 which is $5.3M per team.

Big East

With ABC/ESPN we are getting $33.3M per year through 2013, which is at least $2M per team depending on the breakdown between BB and FB money.

Mountain West

With Comcast/CBS College Sports/The Mtn, they are getting $11.7M per year through 2014 which is an average of $1.3M per year per team.

Conference USA

Between CBS College Sports and ESPN they are getting $11.3M per year until 2011 which is $942K per team per year.

Note: All these are averages and they payouts to each team and in successive years may have actually been different. Rounding was used.

• Content Count:  1,829
  • Days Won:  1

I say we let the kids go from high school directly into NFL camps so they can make the money straight away. I mean did you see I think in between the lines the fsu guy that could not even read got a degree and at uf one player had the i.q. of 60. We are not doing these kids um students a service by getting banged up and getting a worthless degree, I mean not worthless but if you can't read or write it might as well be. Then we could fill the slots with kids that might not run a 4/40 but who deserve the education. Not saying the players don't deserve an education but let's be real.

• Content Count:  5,241

and u guys dont think congress should get involved?

man i wish the kids would form a union or association.THEY ARE GETTING SCREWED

Lol. Think of it as an internship before some of them go pro and make tons of $$$.

If they plan it right, playoffs would make tons more

I say we let the kids go from high school directly into NFL camps so they can make the money straight away. I mean did you see I think in between the lines the fsu guy that could not even read got a degree and at uf one player had the i.q. of 60. We are not doing these kids um students a service by getting banged up and getting a worthless degree, I mean not worthless but if you can't read or write it might as well be. Then we could fill the slots with kids that might not run a 4/40 but who deserve the education. Not saying the players don't deserve an education but let's be real.

The NFL wants players who have put on their 'Man Weight' as Ian Beckles would say.

College players on scholarship are paid already. They get the scholarship. The problem is that sports takes up so much time that they can't go to school properly. So make it that every year an athlete plays sports, they get an extra semester of scholarship. So after four years an athlete would have 4 more semesters for free from the school to finish his degree (within a reasonable time frame of course). For athletes who move on to the pro leagues, this probably wouldn't mean much. But for the guy who just misses the cut, then he would have a chance to really get a useful degree. For the athletes who suffer a career ending injury, they should get a year for each year they played. This way athletes are compensated for what they are supposed to be getting, a degree, without paying athletes money and all the potential for abuse in that.

• Content Count:  1,829
  • Days Won:  1

The NFL wants players who have put on their 'Man Weight' as Ian Beckles would say.

College players on scholarship are paid already. They get the scholarship. The problem is that sports takes up so much time that they can't go to school properly. So make it that every year an athlete plays sports, they get an extra semester of scholarship. So after four years an athlete would have 4 more semesters for free from the school to finish his degree (within a reasonable time frame of course). For athletes who move on to the pro leagues, this probably wouldn't mean much. But for the guy who just misses the cut, then he would have a chance to really get a useful degree. For the athletes who suffer a career ending injury, they should get a year for each year they played. This way athletes are compensated for what they are supposed to be getting, a degree, without paying athletes money and all the potential for abuse in that.

A degree is worthless if you can't even read.

• Content Count:  66,066
  • Days Won:  172

scholarship money?

peanuts

insulting

free the slaves

scholarship money?

peanuts

insulting

free the slaves

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/finaid/09-10/0910_budget.htm

As I understand it, the scholarship athletes get tuition, room/board and books. Based on the webpage above, that comes out to almost $15k per year for instate athletes. The other state schools are probably similar, since after all, they are state schools.

http://www.petersons.com/collegeprofiles/Profile.aspx?inunid=9262&reprjid=12&sponsor=1&tabid=10003

According to the website above UM has a full ride of almost $47k.

I'm sure that other schools around the country have numbers somewhere in the range of USF and UM. So for a 4 year athlete that is $60k to almost $200k worth of education. And the idea of adding extra semesters paid for by the school, means that it would be much more likely that a student athlete could get an education in exchange for his/her playing time. Because the student athlete would have extra time after his/her playing days to work at getting that degree.

So what are your specific issues with the plan I laid out, smazza? Other than 'free the slaves' of course.  ::)

Archived