• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Harlan to Competition Oversight Committee

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Harlan Appointed To NCAA National Committee

Follow @USFAthletics On Twitter

Like USF Athletics on Facebook

TAMPA, APRIL 22, 2015 – University of South Florida Director of Athletics Mark Harlan has been appointed a member of the NCAA’s Division I Competition Oversight Committee by the NCAA Division I Council.

Entering his second year leading the USF Athletic program, Harlan will serve on one of seven newly reconstituted committees that report directly to the NCAA Division I Council in the NCAA’s new governance structure. The committees are tasked with addressing challenges and enhancing opportunities for the 175,000 student-athletes participating at the Division I level.

“It is an honor and a privilege to be selected to serve in this capacity alongside collegiate athletic leaders from around the nation,” Harlan said. “It is a very important time in collegiate athletics as we embrace the opportunities and meet the challenges of a new and changing era. I look forward to exchanging thoughts and ideas with my colleagues and playing a part in ensuring the best experience for the thousands of Division I student-athletes nationwide.”

The NCAA Division I Council, chaired by Northwestern Director of Athletics Jim Phillips, identified the most qualified candidates to fill each committee’s need. The candidates were then vetted thoroughly both by the Council members already serving on each individual committee and by the Council as a whole before being appointed to serve.Bottom of Form

Harlan will be one of 11 athletic directors from across the nation serving on the 19-member Competition Oversight Committee, including Kentucky Director of Athletics Mitch Barnhart who is serving as the committee chairman. The Competition Oversight Committee has oversight of competitive matters for all sports other than football and men’s and women’s basketball and oversees the NCAA Olympic Sports Liaison Committee. Along with supervision of the qualification and/or selection procedures for Division I and National Collegiate Championships, the committee will review recommendations from sports committees and process other issues related to the administration of championships.

Other committees appointed by the NCAA Division I Council were the Football Oversight Committee, Men’s Basketball Oversight Committee, Women’s Basketball Oversight Committee, Strategic Vision and Planning Committee, Student-Athlete Experience Committee and Legislative Committee.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

Don't see how this is anything but great. Congratulations Mr. Harlan.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Good chance for Harlan to network with other influential AD's and put USF on the realignment map.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

Good chance for Harlan to network with other influential AD's and put USF on the realignment map.

Don't hold your breath my friend.  Wouldn't want you to check out of this life before the Navy game.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

Don't hold your breath my friend.  Wouldn't want you to check out of this life before the Navy game.

Could be a real Debbie Downer and say this is Harlan's chance to market himself to the major programs.

I think it's a good thing though. Any voice USF can get at a higher level is important.

Edited by George_Bullnard_Shaw

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I'm too ornery too die! See ya on Halloween?

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Great thing, and no surprise he was added really. He's been a class act so far--a far better face for the university than the previous one.

Pity it has nothing to do with football or basketball, but he'll inevitably rub elbows at some level.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,945
  • Days Won:  12

We have a great AD. Can't wait to see that manifest in the results on the field. 

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

We have a great AD. Can't wait to see that manifest in the results on the field. 

Personality-wise, he's been a breath of fresh air. I'm still waiting on bestowing upon Harlan "the great AD" tag. What's done regarding football this season will be huge measuring stick.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Personality-wise, he's been a breath of fresh air. I'm still waiting on bestowing upon Harlan "the great AD" tag. What's done regarding football this season will be huge measuring stick.

It's hard to say that whatever happens with the football team this season is on Harlan or Tags, or both.  In football, Harlan will be measured by his next hire, whether that be next season or several seasons down the road.