• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

James Pensyl, QB, Land O Lakes HS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Pensyl was headed to Oregon State until their HC left for Nebraska. New HC has diff style offense and didn't honor Pensyls commitment. Sadly this happened like a month (or a bit longer) before NSD. Got screwed by the system.

Hope we get him on board

Not true at all. Gary Anderson told Pensyl he was going to be using a system that asks for much more running out of the QB and Pensyl decided that was a bad fit for him and decommitted. It sucks for him, but you can't blame Anderson for being honest about the offense he plans to run and he honored every single commit from the previous staff if the kid wanted to sign with OSU.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/footballpreps/players-arent-only-minds-that-change-during-recruiting-process/2215336

"Pensyl, who threw for more than 5,000 career yards and nearly 50 touchdowns while at Land O'Lakes, said he was told the Beavers now wanted to go with a more run-first quarterback. He decommitted and has yet to pick up any other offers."

Sounds pretty much like what I said?

New HC, different system, doesn't fit.

Do you really think that Pensyl...with ZERO other offers besides OSU said "Nah I'll just de-commit and scramble last minute to try and find a college with a couple weeks left"? His offer was not honored by the new coach.

Cmon now.

Sorry. I was unaware you had insider knowledge of the situation that has yet to be reported anywhere. My bad. I made the mistake of taking the kid's exact words, "I decommitted" to mean he decommitted. But I can see how Anderson pulled his offer and neither he nor his coach would say that publicly. Edited by JTrue

http://nebraska.scout.com/story/1499257-james-pensyl-talks-about-what-s-next

Weird. Another article about it being his choice to decommit.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Sorry. I was unaware you had insider knowledge of the situation that has yet to be reported anywhere. My bad. I made the mistake of taking the kid's exact words, "I decommitted" to mean he decommitted. But I can see how Anderson pulled his offer and neither he nor his coach would say that publicly.

"...he was told the Beavers now wanted to go with a more run-first quarterback."  Sure sounds like them telling him that they did not have space for him on scholarship.  Of course he decommitted if they pulled his offer and aren't otherwise willing to make space for him on the team. Otherwise it's not "committing", it's just "attending a school."

It's like a forced resignation.  Writing's on the wall...

• Upvote 1

Sorry. I was unaware you had insider knowledge of the situation that has yet to be reported anywhere. My bad. I made the mistake of taking the kid's exact words, "I decommitted" to mean he decommitted. But I can see how Anderson pulled his offer and neither he nor his coach would say that publicly.

"...he was told the Beavers now wanted to go with a more run-first quarterback." Sure sounds like them telling him that they did not have space for him on scholarship. Of course he decommitted if they pulled his offer and aren't otherwise willing to make space for him on the team. Otherwise it's not "committing", it's just "attending a school."

It's like a forced resignation. Writing's on the wall...

Yep. But there's still a very big difference between being fired and resigning. Much like there's a huge difference between a coach saying you can come here and I'll honor your scholarship and pulling a kid's offer out from under him.

Kid's handling it like a pro, and doesn't want to put the Oregon State staff on blast. I respect him for that.  But come on, you're smart enough know what happened here without having to see it spelled out explicitly online.

Or, and this is just me spit-balling, it happened like the kid, his high school coach, and Oregon State say it did.

Just to be very precise, what the kid actually said was not that he was decommitting, but that he "was no longer committed to Oregon State."  His words.

You should check out http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2014/12/james_pensyl_former_oregon_sta.html

"This week, the wait ended and Pensyl learned he'd have to re-open his recruitment."

and

"The coaching carousel can be cruel to high school prospects. During Oregon State's ride, it was cruelest to Pensyl."

And then in the comments, the Oregon State beat reporter elaborated: "This is nobody's fault and Oregon State handled this the right way. This is just what happens when there's a coaching change during the tail end of a recruiting cycle. Tough for James. I wish him the best."

Don't think Hem was saying that any of what you quoted is necessarily incorrect in the strictest meaning of the term, but I know you have followed this stuff enough to know what these quotes mean.

• Upvote 1

The only point I was making was that Anderson didn't **** on the kid like other coaches have done. He was honest and, by all accounts I've read, didn't pull the scholarship. He just told Pensyl he wasn't a good fit and he'd find more success elsewhere.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

I think slick hacked into Jtrues account.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

The only point I was making was that Anderson didn't **** on the kid like other coaches have done. He was honest and, by all accounts I've read, didn't pull the scholarship. He just told Pensyl he wasn't a good fit and he'd find more success elsewhere.

It would be interesting to see what accounts you read where Andersen gave him the option of staying committed. Here's an earlier article from the same source WWMJD posted his from, http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2014/12/beau_hott_oregon_state_beavers.html  All indications are that if Pensyl had the choice, he would have stayed committed to OSU ...

"My coach told me to make sure that I commit to a school and not the staff â€“ pick somewhere that will make you happy. I really fell in love with the school and I know other recruits did too," he explained. "I just made sure to talk to them and made sure they thought about the reasons they committed to Oregon State â€“ that it wasn't just the coaches that were there, but the school they were going to."

The 6-foot-6, 205-pound Florida product is far from de-committing and said he'd stick with the Beavers even if Andersen brings in another quarterback, but he's hoping to hear where he stands soon.

• Upvote 1