• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

What Breed of Dog is This?

charsibb

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Every man should have a dog. 

Not so much ... 

michael-vick.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Now, THAT's funny!

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Every man should have a dog.

Not so much ...

michael-vick.jpg

Touché!

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks for the rescue link!

Also want one with the shortest hair possible, since maintaining their coats can be a real hassle...

Couple of interesting ones right down the street. the pup looks like a mix, could be a good pickup. Mom is brown, pup is black

Cheer6.jpgCheerHoliday.1.jpgHoliday12.jpg

http://www.maessr.org/holiday-2.aspx

http://www.maessr.org/cheer.aspx

ESS do have long coats that require some work.  My suggestion, since I made the mistake of not doing this, is to get them used to the electric clippers when they are young.  Either learn to shave them yourself or take them to a groomer.  A seasonal tight trim is what I would recommend.  I waited too long, and my dog hates the clippers, and I do not want to lose my fingers.  However, he does not mind scissors, so I use a sharp pair with a rounded tip when I bathe him.

Ears can be a problem, but that is the same for all floppy eared dogs.  Those floppy ears retain moisture in the ear, so bacteria can grow.  Just get the dog used to regular cleanings when you bathe him, and the dog will be fine. 

Springers love exercise when they are young (under 8 - 10 years old).  They love long walks and will usually play outside.  They are fast when they want to be, so I would recommend a fenced in yard when they are not on a leash.  Mine is almost 13 years old, and he spends a lot of time napping, but he always wants to be near me, so if he hears me leave the room, he will get up and follow me.  Springers want to be around their humans, so expect the dog to be around your feet all the time.

Good luck on your search for a dog.

Good point about acclimating them early. Thanks. Not sure I'd want to do that myself, but getting it done regularly will be necessary. Do you think it would be enough to just turn them on and run them over the coat without cutting to get them used to it?

Do you do the nails yourself? How long did that take to get comfortable?

I go to the dogpark once or twice a week to watch, and it amazes me how many people have adult dogs that are still untrained. Gotta start early if you're going to do it yourself, or else take them to school.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

If the dog has dark nails, cutting the nails can be problematic.  It's difficult to see where the quick is.  Don't forget the dew claw.  If that gets too long it can be really painful for the dog.

I have a hard enough time with my own, not sure I'd EVER get comfortable doing a dog's

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  0

I get the nails done at the vet.  They already muzzle him for all of the poking and prodding, so I get them to cut the nails at that time.  Taking the dog for walks on sidewalks and paved streets naturally wear down the nails, so that is another method to keep those nails down.

I made the big mistake of not getting him used to grooming and nail trims at an early age.  However, most dogs are not as difficult as mine.  Now, he loves it when I brush him with the dog brush, so I do not have any troubles with that.

There are many training clubs that are run as non-profits, and Tampa has one.  That place has basic training, advanced training and agility training.  There are probably ones near you, but you could always go to ones in pet stores like Pet Co.  I took my dog to basic training when I first got him, and it did a world of difference.  What they are really doing is training you to control your dog.  The main thing to remember is that you need to keep applying the techniques learned in training outside of the class, and re-enforce the training when you complete the training.  Walking a dog on a leash is probably the best thing to teach a dog who is boss; you just have to know the right way to walk a dog on a leash.  He should never pull on the leash or ahead of you, he should always be walking at your side.  It is difficult in the early stages, but eventually he will learn if you are consistent.

I get grief from some circles of dog lovers, but I really believe in the teachings of Caesar Milan.  Yeah, he makes money off his TV shows and products he sells, but everything he teaches is common sense.  I have used his techniques on two dogs, and I got positive results. 

That dew claw can be a nasty thing if it gets out of hand or infected.  A lot of responsible breeder will have a vet remove them for that reason.

Consistency is key. And so is keeping training in short, fun sessions.

Dogs are pack animals and they understand the alpha male concept. If you aren't they alpha, they will be, so you got to let them know who's boss.

I think Cesar once said he doesn't train dogs, he trains owners. Yuppers.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Looks like a closely-shaved Shiba Inu to me, is that correct?

That would be my guess - some type of doge.