• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mac v. PC v. Linux

charsibb

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Geek Alert!!

Enjoy :D

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

I just put linux in my laptop 3 weeks ago. I haven't used it that much yet, it is fine for the most common simple tasks, but I see why linux will never be a mac or windows.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

I just put linux in my laptop 3 weeks ago. I haven't used it that much yet, it is fine for the most common simple tasks, but I see why linux will never be a mac or windows.

Why? If your reasoning is gaming, then I guess I can see it, but Steam is on Linux now. Libre Office is free and is compatible with Office docs. If you're new and like the ease of Windows, run Linux Mint, since it looks like Windows. Like the OSX look, then there's a ton of clones out there (Elementary OS). I'm typing this from Crunchbang Linux (Openbox) and it's the best OS I've ever used, aethestically and peroframce wise. People are just afraid of using something they're not used to.

I'd say they're not afraid of using it - but of learning it.

OS's have learning curves, the steeper they are, the less likely the acceptance

Why? If your reasoning is gaming, then I guess I can see it, but Steam is on Linux now. Libre Office is free and is compatible with Office docs. If you're new and like the ease of Windows, run Linux Mint, since it looks like Windows. Like the OSX look, then there's a ton of clones out there (Elementary OS). I'm typing this from Crunchbang Linux (Openbox) and it's the best OS I've ever used, aethestically and peroframce wise. People are just afraid of using something they're not used to.

I am running linux mint.

I've been trying to use a program that doesn't have much linux support and requires oracle java so I have to get the Oracle java install setup, then I have to get the program to search for it. Now the program seems hung up on the updates when I open it so next I'll try running it's exercise with wine.

But to run from oracle java requires so much command line, nothing is intuitive and all of the online how to write ups reveal about 5 different ways to accomplish the same task, and all recommend installing to different directories.

/opt

/usr/local/bin

/usr/bin

Yet none explain why to install to a particular directory so I can't even learn much of anything from all.of the online help. None explain well what the commands they are using mean and when to use them and when not to.

I think most users will probably use at least 1 pprogram that has little linux support

A game, a cloud service, a need for MS Office for work or compatability with what other send you. To need to use WINE for all of this doesn't really offer a real stand alone experience and is cumbersome. It is 10x easier to just have windows and all of the standard office compatability and compatibility of other programs.

The only reason I am testing out linux is for some malware and security protection, and Windows boots sooooo **** slow on my laptop. Takes 10 years for browser to open after the desktop loads pushed me to linux, which linux starts and shuts down a lot more smoothly. I am willing to learn the commands and deal with wine, hopefully I can get everything I need working one way or another, but it won't be easy. It would take me like an hour on windows, on linux needing to learn and understand what I'm actually doing will take me days.

My needs are pretty basic currently:

Onedrive, Ms cloud service but has no linux support

Ms office

a vpn software for work

another program that needs oracle Java

I like the onedrive browser access of synced MS office files, but I may look into Google spreadsheet and Google drive possibly.

For work though I need VBA so will need office.

And see linux I can't just click install and have it all work. But in windows you can.

Ya, if you just need the internet and to play some music and videos, maybe to open some odds and word docs then sure linux mint probably will be fine. Needing anything beyond that begins to require these extra programs, wine, and then command line knowledge, and it's way beyond what most users need to put themselves through learning when windows is just one click and it all works.

And if I have to resort to WINE for all of the programs I need, I might as well just use full blown windows.

Edited by Gismo

But to learn linux you are nearly learning a coding language (at least it feels this way to me)... when other OS you only have to learn what icon to click.

And I am jumping into linux mint, I can't imagine what it was like when linux was all command line. Just to edit and save a script file I need to use the terminal for root access and open it in the command line, who the hell wants to learn all of the needed commands when windows and mac they can just click open, save and be done?

Edited by Gismo

But to learn linux you are nearly learning a coding language (at least it feels this way to me)... when other OS you only have to learn what icon to click.

And I am jumping into linux mint, I can't imagine what it was like when linux was all command line. Just to edit and save a script file I need to use the terminal for root access and open it in the command line, who the hell wants to learn all of the needed commands when windows and mac they can just click open, save and be done?

All depends on what you want to do.

Back in the day, even microsoft was all command line, remember MS-DOS?

If you need direct access to system resources, command line is the way to go.