• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Introduce myself

oldbull77

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  18
  • Days Won:  0

New to the Board. 

Grew up in Clearwater, now live on the East Coast.  1977 USF alumni - before there was football.  Grad school at FSU. Had season tickets there all thru the National Championship decade - but gave them up when the booster dues got way too expensive.  Still follow the Noles, but haven't been to a game in 10 years, and miss it - so I'm giving the Bulls a try.

Went to one Bulls game last year, and enjoyed it because:

1) Going to a game when the world won't come to an end if you lose is a hell of a lot more fun.  At FSU, every game mattered - if you lost any game, or didn't win by enough, the season was over. 

That's what a couple of National Championships will do to a program.  If you aren't playing for (and winning) the title - your season is a failure.  Being a champion has its downside.

2)  The cost.  You must belong to the boosters to get season tickets anywhere but in the end zone - if you can get them at all.  Your seating priority is based on several factors - the main one being what level of booster you are.  My dues were $900 per year - and I was on the goal line.

Booster dues don't get you the tickets - you have to buy them separately, and they ain't cheap.  The last year I had them (4 tickets),  the Florida game, alone, was $60 per ticket.  The cheapest games were $30 each.  There were 8 home games that year - and you had to buy all, or nothing.  Do the math.   You can't buy single game tickets for Florida, Miami, homecoming, or some of the other prestige games.

To travel to/from Tallahasse took about $100 in gas - and it was a 6-7 hour drive each way.  Then there was motel costs - at least $100 per night.  Most fans have had reservations for years, and make them a year in advance.  Forget a room in that town on a football weekend if you have no reservation. And there is two night minimum.  So I've spent $300 just getting there/back, and having a place to stay - in addition to the ticket costs, food, etc.

Tampa is two hours from my home - so there are no motel expenses.  So far, I can get decent seats at the stadium on game day.  What's not to like?

3) Don't have to listen to trash talk from those Lizards from Gainesville.  Gator fans are, hands down, the most obnoxious anywhere - even when they are visiting another team's stadium, and losing.   By the way - you know how to find UF from USF?  You go north on I-75 until you smell it - then east until you step in it !

So now I'm a Bulls fan.  Not sure what I'll do if they play FSU again.  That would be like going out with your wife - and having the best former girlfriend you ever had show up.

Go Bulls

oldbull77

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Welcome to the board, ya gotta have thick skin around here!

Stick around, who knows, maybe one day USF can drive you away because our prices are too high.

Here's hopin'  :guinness:

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

No one likes Charsibb. Just an FYI.

No one likes Charsibb. Just an FYI.

Bite me! :D

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,434
  • Days Won:  422

New to the Board. 

Grew up in Clearwater, now live on the East Coast.  1977 USF alumni - before there was football.  Grad school at FSU. Had season tickets there all thru the National Championship decade - but gave them up when the booster dues got way too expensive.  Still follow the Noles, but haven't been to a game in 10 years, and miss it - so I'm giving the Bulls a try.

Went to one Bulls game last year, and enjoyed it because:

1) Going to a game when the world won't come to an end if you lose is a hell of a lot more fun.  At FSU, every game mattered - if you lost any game, or didn't win by enough, the season was over. 

That's what a couple of National Championships will do to a program.  If you aren't playing for (and winning) the title - your season is a failure.  Being a champion has its downside.

2)  The cost.  You must belong to the boosters to get season tickets anywhere but in the end zone - if you can get them at all.  Your seating priority is based on several factors - the main one being what level of booster you are.  My dues were $900 per year - and I was on the goal line.

Booster dues don't get you the tickets - you have to buy them separately, and they ain't cheap.  The last year I had them (4 tickets),  the Florida game, alone, was $60 per ticket.  The cheapest games were $30 each.  There were 8 home games that year - and you had to buy all, or nothing.  Do the math.   You can't buy single game tickets for Florida, Miami, homecoming, or some of the other prestige games.

To travel to/from Tallahasse took about $100 in gas - and it was a 6-7 hour drive each way.  Then there was motel costs - at least $100 per night.  Most fans have had reservations for years, and make them a year in advance.  Forget a room in that town on a football weekend if you have no reservation. And there is two night minimum.  So I've spent $300 just getting there/back, and having a place to stay - in addition to the ticket costs, food, etc.

Tampa is two hours from my home - so there are no motel expenses.  So far, I can get decent seats at the stadium on game day.  What's not to like?

3) Don't have to listen to trash talk from those Lizards from Gainesville.  Gator fans are, hands down, the most obnoxious anywhere - even when they are visiting another team's stadium, and losing.   By the way - you know how to find UF from USF?  You go north on I-75 until you smell it - then east until you step in it !

So now I'm a Bulls fan.  Not sure what I'll do if they play FSU again.  That would be like going out with your wife - and having the best former girlfriend you ever had show up.

Go Bulls

oldbull77

Welcome ... and we go to Tallahassee next year and the Noles to RayJay in 2016.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,328
  • Content Count:  96,947
  • Days Won:  469

Welcome oldbull77, I hope you enjoy the Bulls this season.  I'm hoping we all do.  It's been a rough spell.

Thanks for coming to the board and telling us about yourself.  I hope you'll be an active participant.

Brad

Nobody likes Brad either, so beware!

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Welcome!