• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

No baseball coach is apparently no problem for recruiting

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

TAMPA, May 28, 2014 â€“ USF baseball has announced the addition of Mark Savarese and Ryan Valdes to the team on Wednesday.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=209507806

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,986
  • Days Won:  469

USF ATHLETICS GoUSFBulls.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DATE: May 28, 2014

Web Release: http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=209507806

USF Baseball Adds Pair To Recruiting Class

Like USF Baseball on Facebook

Follow @USFBaseball on Twitter

TAMPA, May 28, 2014 – USF baseball has announced the addition of Mark Savarese and Ryan Valdes to the team on Wednesday.

Savarese joins USF after spending the past season at St. Petersburg College. The 6-foot-2, 200-pound right-hander appeared in 13 games for the Titans in 2014 tossing 27.2 innings. He allowed just 10 earned runs to sport a 3.25 ERA while striking out 25. Savarese went 2-0, picking up wins over Lake-Sumter State College and South Florida State College and earned his only save of the year versus Miami Dade College.

From Stuart, Fla., Savarese attended Martin County High School, where he was ranked as the 63rd best prospect in the state of Florida by Maxpreps.com. He will have three years of eligibility remaining.

“Mark Savarese is a big, strong right-hander that is going to have an opportunity to compete for a spot in the rotation,” said pitching coach Lance Carter. “He is an upper-80’s, low-90’s guy that is going to come in and give us some experience at the college level and I think he will fit in nicely with the guys coming back.”

Valdes is another junior college transfer making his way to Tampa from State College of Florida. On the mound, he appeared in 19 games going 6-0 with five saves. In 63 innings of work, the right-hander posted a 2.03 ERA while striking out 55. At the plate, Valdes hit .295 racking up 53 hits in 180 at-bats. Playing primarily in centerfield, he scored 39 times, had 11 extra-base hits including two home runs and knocked in 29. Valdes also drew 37 walks and was hit by a pitch six times to sport a .425 on-base percentage.

Valdes originally signed with Florida State out of Alonso High School, appearing in 13 games for the Seminoles in 2013. At Alonso, he was a four-year letterwinner earning All-American Honorable Mention honors as a senior. Valdes will have two years of eligibility remaining.

“Ryan Valdes is a two-way guy that will have an opportunity to do both here,” said Carter. “He is very athletic, runs extremely well and he’s a good arm. He also sits in the upper-80’s, low-90’s that will help us in a multiple of ways. I expect both of them to come in and help us both immediately and be impact guys for us.”

The duo joins the class that was previously announced in the fall.

- #GoBulls -

Bulliever... Not to knock you..

But what is the policy on posting articles?

I thought we weren't to post complete articles in order to provide clicks to the source content (...as well as copy-write issues)

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Most of the articles he posts are emailed to him as part of a press release

Most of the articles he posts are emailed to him as part of a press release

Ah ok.

I saw it as a tweet (same article/link) so I wasn't aware.

Also being that at it goes to the USF site, wasn't sure if it made it free of this rule.

I don't know if USF cares about the number of clicks on their site, but I think they would.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

It's not like Prado is gone from the university.  He's still here in some capacity and I'm sure him and Harlan have relayed what information needs to get to recruits.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I bet its hard for these recruits, not knowing if the new guy can achieve all of the same success we've grown accustomed to.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Pitchers are nice and all but ... Can we hear about some HITTERS being recruited? Please?

Edited by charsibb

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Recruiting baseball has to be the hardest thing ever.  So many of the good players go to MLB.  You have to identify good players, but not too good.