• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Search For New USF Baseball Head Coach Discussion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

I get that he is doing well at UT, but he is playing the system there.

UT caught fire with it's earlier titles, and is known as a DII powerhouse transfer station for DI ballplayers who want to play immediately and go to the MLB.

He cannot do that at this level, and would instead need to recruit and develop talent. Can he do that? Nobody knows. This was the jump that Prado could not do (he could't do it at Louisville or USF)

That's like taking a coach from Kentucky basketball where talent just throws itself at you and expecting him to be just as successful here at USF....oh...wait

Edited by Hem
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3
  • Days Won:  0

According to Kendall Rogers at perfect game, USF should look at Illinois State Head Coach Mark Kingston. 

Here is some background on Kingston:

2000-2001 was an assistant coach at Miami University under Jim Morris and won a National Championship

2002-2008 was the Associate Head Coach at Tulane University. Helped Tulane reach 6 regionals, 2 super regionals and 1 College World Series (the #1 seed in the nation) Was the reason Tulane was so good. Was a great recruiter and recruited Florida. 

2009-2014 is the Head Coach at Illinois State University. Has won 2 conference championships and 1 Tournament championship. Has been named Missouri Valley Coach of the year twice which had never been done at Illinois State ever. Has had (5) 30 win seasons, which is the most ever at Illinois State University. Took Illinois State University to the Lousiville Regional in 2010. Broke the schools season wins record twice. 36 wins in 2011 and 39 in 2013. 

The interesting thing about Kingston is he has had success at the highest level. He also has Head Coaching experience and has also built a program at Illinois State. Before he got there, according to archives), they were the laughing stock of the league. They had never come close to winning a championship. I think it would be a wise move to take a hard strong look at Kingston based on the following:

1. Has rebuilt a program from scratch

2. Has succeeded at the highest levels of college baseball

3. Has Head Coaching experience

4. Is familiar with the teams in the AAC (basically the old Conference USA)

5. Has proven to be a winner every where he goes

6. HAS FLORIDA TIES from being at Miami and winning it all

7. Finished as runner up for the Oklahoma job and Nebraska job recently according to Kendall Rogers

I would be on board for a hire like this. We need a winner and someone who has the success that Kingston has had. 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  11

Mike Bell - pitching coach at FSU.

Local ties - was baseball coach at Brandon High School.

Went to Tennessee and went to CWS

Went to Oklahoma and went to CWS

Went to FSU and went to CWS

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

No more LELOMANIA! Welp, let's see how this hire goes.... do we go the UT route AGAIN? Or are we trying to do something else?

Technically, we went the Louisville route last time ...  ;)

And I think it would be irresponsible to not at least look at Urso with the success he's had over the past 14 years at UT, which includes 3 national championships (playing for a 4th) ... although, frankly, I don't know of any real reasons why he would leave his alma mater other than being up for a challenge:

Former Spartan All-American Joe Urso is now in his 14th season as head baseball coach of The University of Tampa, compiling a 567-176-1 record. In his time as Spartan head coach, Urso has led Tampa to nine Sunshine State Conference titles and eight NCAA South Regional championships. He also has coached the program to three national championships.

UT’s all-time winningest baseball coach, Urso has led the Spartans 40 victories in 10 of his 13 seasons at the helm. He is also the lone UT coach to guide his team to 50-plus victories in a season, as he did in 2006 and 2007.

Urso has guided the Spartans to the top prize on three occasions, capturing the 2006, 2007 and 2013 NCAA Division II national championships and he also led UT to a second place finish in the 2003 National Championship Series. Under Urso, Tampa won a school record 54 games in 2006.

The program has been recognized on the national level as 41 Spartans have been selected in the Major League Baseball Draft since 2006, including a school-record nine in the 2010 MLB Draft. With nine selections, the Spartans ranked sixth among all colleges in players chosen in 2010.

The 2013 season resulted in the program's sixth national championship as Urso's squad claimed the Sunshine State Conference and NCAA South Regional championship in addition to the big prize. The team had five players selected in the MLB Draft as Mike Adams was recognized as the SSC and South Region Pitcher of the Year. Urso also captured his third National Coach of the Year award and was named SSC Coach of the Year for the eighth time in his Spartan coaching career.

In 2012, Urso became the fastest coach in NCAA Division II history to reach 500 career victories as he needed just 12 seasons to eclipse the milestone. He also ranks as the all-time winningest coach in program history.

http://tampaspartans.com/profile.asp?playerID=260

Wow! I didn't know he had this much success at UT. Guess i wasn't paying too much attention to UT baseball.

Sounds good to me!

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  959

Joe Urso is about as good as it gets all around. Just an awesome guy.  Say what you want about the UT route but I think he deserves a shot. A little biased since I grew up with him but I can tell you he knows the game, works hard, and knows how to develop talent. He has "it" and is a WINNER. Full endorsement here

• Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991

Scott Glaser 

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  959

Scott Glaser 

Yes......Scott Glaser will help with the hiring process ;)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,748
  • Content Count:  17,453
  • Days Won:  13

The ppl that think Larusa would come here make me laugh.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

The ppl that think Larusa would come here make me laugh.

You've been on this site so long, you really think that's serious??

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  1,390

Mike Bell should be the number one target, but it will be tough getting him away from FSU.