• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Search For New USF Baseball Head Coach Discussion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Well, there it is ...

Tony La Russa for USF baseball HC!! 

If he hadn't just accepted another job the other day, I'm positive he would have taken the USF gig.

Maybe he didn't know the baseball job would be opening up.  Can we figure out a way to get the news to him out in AZ? 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Well, there it is ...

If he hadn't just accepted another job the other day, I'm positive he would have taken the USF gig.

Maybe he didn't know the baseball job would be opening up.  Can we figure out a way to get the news to him out in AZ? 

We should tell him about the beaches. 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Well, there it is ...

We should tell him about the beaches. 

He's from the area, I think he knows about those already.  I think a gentle reminder would be a good idea though, as well as making sure he knows he has the chance to coach alma mater now, something he's certainly been waiting on for years.

I just hope he's not wanting more to wait on beachfront property in AZ ...

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

No more LELOMANIA! Welp, let's see how this hire goes....do we go the UT route AGAIN? Or are we trying to do something else?

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

sumping else, plz

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

No more LELOMANIA! Welp, let's see how this hire goes....do we go the UT route AGAIN? Or are we trying to do something else?

#dosomethingelse

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  0

Joe Urso :GoBulls:

• Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,493
  • Days Won:  10

Well, there it is ...

The Diamondbacks beat us to him.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24565252/diamondbacks-name-tony-la-russa-new-chief-baseball-officer

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

Well, there it is ...

The Diamondbacks beat us to him.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24565252/diamondbacks-name-tony-la-russa-new-chief-baseball-officer

I'll give Dave Duncan a call to see if I can get them both down here. Both he and Tony are working for the diamondbacks now. Dave is my parents' neighbor. : )

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

No more LELOMANIA! Welp, let's see how this hire goes.... do we go the UT route AGAIN? Or are we trying to do something else?

Technically, we went the Louisville route last time ...  ;)

And I think it would be irresponsible to not at least look at Urso with the success he's had over the past 14 years at UT, which includes 3 national championships (playing for a 4th) ... although, frankly, I don't know of any real reasons why he would leave his alma mater other than being up for a challenge:

Former Spartan All-American Joe Urso is now in his 14th season as head baseball coach of The University of Tampa, compiling a 567-176-1 record. In his time as Spartan head coach, Urso has led Tampa to nine Sunshine State Conference titles and eight NCAA South Regional championships. He also has coached the program to three national championships.

UT’s all-time winningest baseball coach, Urso has led the Spartans 40 victories in 10 of his 13 seasons at the helm. He is also the lone UT coach to guide his team to 50-plus victories in a season, as he did in 2006 and 2007.

Urso has guided the Spartans to the top prize on three occasions, capturing the 2006, 2007 and 2013 NCAA Division II national championships and he also led UT to a second place finish in the 2003 National Championship Series. Under Urso, Tampa won a school record 54 games in 2006.

The program has been recognized on the national level as 41 Spartans have been selected in the Major League Baseball Draft since 2006, including a school-record nine in the 2010 MLB Draft. With nine selections, the Spartans ranked sixth among all colleges in players chosen in 2010.

The 2013 season resulted in the program's sixth national championship as Urso's squad claimed the Sunshine State Conference and NCAA South Regional championship in addition to the big prize. The team had five players selected in the MLB Draft as Mike Adams was recognized as the SSC and South Region Pitcher of the Year. Urso also captured his third National Coach of the Year award and was named SSC Coach of the Year for the eighth time in his Spartan coaching career.

In 2012, Urso became the fastest coach in NCAA Division II history to reach 500 career victories as he needed just 12 seasons to eclipse the milestone. He also ranks as the all-time winningest coach in program history.

http://tampaspartans.com/profile.asp?playerID=260