• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Any Other Cord Cutters Out There?

slick1ru2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

Still pay for cable and I don't see me cutting the cord anytime soon. If anything there is too much great cable TV out there that i will happily pay for (The Americans, Game of Thrones, Veep, Silicone Valley, Archer, Parts Unknown, The Walking Dead, Fargo, Vice, Workaholics, It's Always Sunny, Newsroom) and enough Network shows that make it worth it to me.

That is great and all if being entertained 24/7 is your goal.

I realized cable wasn't for me when I started writing my short and long term goals frequently. Having cable advances none of my goals except maybe family time which sometimes a family TV show can bring the family together, but Netflix and redbox suffice.

I really miss ESPN and The walking dead and that's it, and each of these for only about 20 days out of the year, so the 80+/mo (960/yr) ESPN would cost is too much for 12 football games i can watch at bars and TV episodes I can buy for $40. For $1,000/year I'd get more enjoyment spending it on video games than cable.

Also note the cost drop dramatically if living with roommates but I live alone. Once I move in with my future wife and we can split the rent and cable costs maybe I'll give it a look, but for now living alone I find the cost too high.

Serious challenge for those reading, decide 8 -10 things you want to achieve in the next year, think big, and write them out, and then see if cable TV will help you reach any of them. Reach a certain income, start a business, finish degree, own a home, learn and instrument, travel to Spain, whatever, coach kids team to championship, own a Ferrarri, whatever it is, I bet cable TV isn't involved unless you want to be a TV show critic.

Edited by Gismo

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,748
  • Content Count:  17,448
  • Days Won:  13

Still pay for cable and I don't see me cutting the cord anytime soon. If anything there is too much great cable TV out there that i will happily pay for (The Americans, Game of Thrones, Veep, Silicone Valley, Archer, Parts Unknown, The Walking Dead, Fargo, Vice, Workaholics, It's Always Sunny, Newsroom) and enough Network shows that make it worth it to me.

I realized cable wasn't for me when I started writing my short and long term goals frequently. Having cable advances none of my goals except maybe family time which sometimes a family TV show can bring the family together, but Netflix and redbox suffice.

I really miss ESPN and The walking dead and that's it, and each of these for only about 20 days out of the year, so the 80+/mo (960/yr) ESPN would cost is too much for 12 football games i can watch at bars and TV episodes I can buy for $40. For $1,000/year I'd get more enjoyment spending it on video games than cable.

Also note the cost drop dramatically if living with roommates but I live alone. Once I move in with my future wife and we can split the rent and cable costs maybe I'll give it a look, but for now living alone I find the cost too high.

Serious challenge for those reading, decide 8 -10 things you want to achieve in the next year, think big, and write them out, and then see if cable TV will help you reach any of them. Reach a certain income, start a business, finish degree, own a home, learn and instrument, travel to Spain, whatever, coach kids team to championship, own a Ferrarri, whatever it is, I bet cable TV isn't involved unless you want to be a TV show critic.

I dont see how buying USF tickets help with any of those goals either but im not gonna stop going to games either.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I'm waiting for someone on this thread to tell them to get off their lawn

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  763
  • Days Won:  0

Challenge accepted :D

1. Gain 20 lbs of bad weight 

2. Get roped into watching all Real House Wives of _____ marathons with my wife

3. Be able to connect with quasi friends on facebook with pointless show related posts

4. Escape from income generating activities, diapers, and other important daily operations for 5+ hours a day

5. Test whether or not I can pump enough caffeine in me to counteract the lower energy levels I will have from watching TV

6. Enjoy less sex due to lower energy level and less deep conversations with significant other

7. Increase my exposure to more commercials in hopes of being better educated with new products/services

8. Create mindless zombie children by letting them stare blankly at a screen for 5+ hours a day 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Lighten up, Francis

Edited by charsibb

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

I dont see how buying USF tickets help with any of those goals either but im not gonna stop going to games either.

+1 for maintaining balance

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Lighten up, Francis

You just made the list buddy... And it's psycho, and if anybody touches my stuff

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Lighten up, Francis

You just made the list buddy... And it's psycho, and if anybody touches my stuff

Well, have you swallowed all that aggression, or is it just pizza?

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,799
  • Days Won:  0

3. Be able to connect with quasi friends on facebook with pointless show related posts

4. Escape from income generating activities, diapers, and other important daily operations for 5+ hours a day

5. Test whether or not I can pump enough caffeine in me to counteract the lower energy levels I will have from watching TV

6. Enjoy less sex due to lower energy level and less deep conversations with significant other

7. Increase my exposure to more commercials in hopes of being better educated with new products/services

8. Create mindless zombie children by letting them stare blankly at a screen for 5+ hours a day 

I think maybe we should qualify television options by stage of life. i.e. If you have kids you are not going to a bar to watch games every week and spend excess cash on video games

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I think maybe we should qualify television options by stage of life. i.e. If you have kids you are not going to a bar to watch games every week and spend excess cash on video games

Yep. When you have an almost 1 year old and an almost 4 year old, you're willing to spend some money for cable since you're not going to be going to as many games in person or watch parties at bars.

• Upvote 1