• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The $4,800 printed house.

Gismo

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Incredible

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Wave of the future.

Anything that can be extruded and then solidified can be 3D printed.

I can't wait for printed food. Banana pancakes anyone?

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

I sold my house in Florida  few months back - took a job on the other side of the country. Maybe I should stay out of real estate for a few years.

IN all seriouness though I think this is the kind of disruptive technology we will see before too long. Most other items have already went that way - anyone bother to repair a TV or fridge lately?

Thanks for link!

This should make homes incredibly cheap in the next century. And apartments even cheaper if they can print 3 stories. 

another 3d printer for less than $300. I will get one of these. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/m3d/the-micro-the-first-truly-consumer-3d-printer?ref=category

another 3d printer for less than $300. I will get one of these. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/m3d/the-micro-the-first-truly-consumer-3d-printer?ref=category

Very cool.

If they can import from Sketchup or AutoCAD, for example, they have a much larger base of knoweldgeable designers.

Before long, 3D printers will be building 3D printers. GHow cool is that!??!?!

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436
  • Days Won:  0

3D Printers have the potential to become a mainstream household appliance. I know people who think that claim is absurd, but I think consumers would accept the lower long-term price and convenience once they get used to the idea.

3D Printers have the potential to become a mainstream household appliance. I know people who think that claim is absurd, but I think consumers would accept the lower long-term price and convenience once they get used to the idea.

A lot depends on the feedstock.

What percentage of home printers are still inkjets v. laserjets? I suspect homes will keep inkjets longer because the feedstock is more economical.

Printing ONE plastic coffee cup is cool. Printing all your plates only makes sense if it's cheaper than buying melamac plates from Walmart

A lot depends on the feedstock.

What percentage of home printers are still inkjets v. laserjets? I suspect homes will keep inkjets longer because the feedstock is more economical.

Printing ONE plastic coffee cup is cool. Printing all your plates only makes sense if it's cheaper than buying melamac plates from Walmart

ACTUALLY I just bought a laser printer because

it's cheaper to print per page, though the upfront cost is more. I spent $100 and it included toner. Cheap $30 ink jet and 5 packages of ink at $15 a pop would also be $100. Despite the fact I print only few pages per month, I got the laser because it was faster! Nothing irritates me more than waiting on the printer when I'm on my way out the door.

3d printer for only $300 will be awesome for inventors and engineers. Now offices will all have one for easy quick prototypes on the cheap. For $300 I will add it to my wish list for the home. You can make lots of cool stuff. A guy at work is always talking about selling your printing services to print other people's designs. He has a 3d printer himself and I believe has done this a few times.

Things you can print:

Family names in block letters,

Custom action figures (think army men)

Custom fridge magnets (glue on magnet)

Custom Figurines (nativity scene?)

Xmas tree ornaments

Custom Business card holder and other desk items

Replacement parts of small items

Items for doll house and scale models

Key chain charms

Yes you could probably buy all of these things for less than the cost of the printer, but that isn't as fun.

People

Who buy the 3d printers will be those who design for a living (engineers, drafters, inventors), hobbyist, and those who are cool buying other's designs to print.