• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Media/NonMedia Discussion

CousinRicky

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Never understood people who rely upon comedians for their political thoughts. Stewart and Colbert are funny, but if you think they are deep thinkers because they're witty and cute, well... You're probably still in college. Incidentally, "infotainers" like O'Reilly and Hannity are only a smidgen better.

They're worse. At least Stewart and Colbert know they're infotainers, embrace it and do target both sides at times ...

100% correct on this

Never understood people who rely upon comedians for their political thoughts. Stewart and Colbert are funny, but if you think they are deep thinkers because they're witty and cute, well... You're probably still in college. Incidentally, "infotainers" like O'Reilly and Hannity are only a smidgen better.

Pick up the Wall Street Journal or New York Times. Read a columnist. There's actually some political analysis going on there.

EDIT: Don't mean to suggest you can't or shouldn't enjoy all of these folks. I do. But I cringe when I see polls that say young people get their news from comedians...

Ironically enough the best source for (as close to) non-biased reporting on US issues comes from abroad. I'm a huge fan of The Economist and BBC. To keep things on topic, someone had to have photoshopped that picture, I don't recall us ever having played K-State in football.

Completely agree.  For real news, I try to read up on international news sources.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

I respect Jon Stewart a lot more than most "reporters" on CNN, FOX, or MSNBC.  That's the state of American news.  At least he's honest about his pandering.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  924
  • Days Won:  1

I respect Jon Stewart a lot more than most "reporters" on CNN, FOX, or MSNBC.  That's the state of American news.  At least he's honest about his pandering.

amen to that, they keep me in the loop and everything else I get from BBC news. You would not catch me watching CNN, MSNBC and definitely not FOX 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

They're worse. At least Stewart and Colbert know they're infotainers, embrace it and do target both sides at times ...

100% correct on this

Pick up the Wall Street Journal or New York Times. Read a columnist. There's actually some political analysis going on there.

EDIT: Don't mean to suggest you can't or shouldn't enjoy all of these folks. I do. But I cringe when I see polls that say young people get their news from comedians...

Ironically enough the best source for (as close to) non-biased reporting on US issues comes from abroad. I'm a huge fan of The Economist and BBC. To keep things on topic, someone had to have photoshopped that picture, I don't recall us ever having played K-State in football.

Completely agree.  For real news, I try to read up on international news sources.

Beleive it or not, al-Jazeera is one of the best sources out there.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

Utterances regarding misinformation, disinformation or one's susceptibility or impermeability to either along with all political beliefs, teachings, mind shaping, etc has a home in the Mad Cow Lounge.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

This thread has derailed like no other.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

100% correct on this

Beleive it or not, al-Jazeera is one of the best sources out there.

Yes.  Didn't want to mention that since there may people who may argue blindly/ignorantly against it.

Bright House also carries the Al Jazeera America channel, and would suggest people to watch it (and read the online news site.)

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,738
  • Days Won:  3

We watch Al Jazeera America, CNN, BBC, PBS, and the Sunday morning talk shows. For some reason, I just don't cotton to Fox's programming anymore. I used to watch it when it first cranked up, but my interests have shifted more towards international news rather than commentary. Well, let me clarify that...I prefer round-table discussion formats rather than didactic commentary. It seems like the regular 30-minute news formats don't have much to offer. Part of that may be trying to cover x-amount of "news" in the compressed time frame, while being mindful of the demographic that is actually tuned in. As far as a younger demographic getting their "news" from Stewart/Colbert...I don't know that there's ever been a concern for depth, so much as a 'bullet point awareness'. Kind of like saying you read the paper...but the paper was "USA Today". 

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

An attorney told Al Franken that since Bill O'Reilly lies so much and its so well know that its much harder to sue him for slander/libel. Is that not ridiculous!?!

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

An attorney told Al Franken that since Bill O'Reilly lies so much and its so well know that its much harder to sue him for slander/libel. Is that not ridiculous!?!

Wasn't it Lenin that said to always tell big lies?