• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Top candidates for NEW Athletic director

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

Higgins is a great leader, but it is a big leap from pulling in major athletic events in Tampa to making big hiring decisions on athletic coaches, managing a large budget, and promoting an athletic program. 

I'll give him credit for his attention to detail and his aggressive but smart salesmanship of Tampa. That would be huge for our program right now, especially given how little reach we have outside Tampa (and right now, even in Tampa). 

But let's say we let Heath go this year or next. Is he going to know what to look for when making a quality basketball hire? What if Taggart turns out to be useless as a coach? Can he make the right hire to make us a winning program again? We're hit hard on the budget front right now with too many high paid salaries at various positions. I have no doubt Higgins is capable of cleaning house, but can he clean up the books? 

There are many things to being an AD. Selling the program is the biggest, but if you can't do the others, we might as well hire you as director of PR or future OOC schedules because that's all we know you're capable of. 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Did LRS have any experience before we hired him?

Srs question, I have no idea

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

I had never heard of him either...

http://www.tampabaysports.org/about/staff_directory/higginsR

http://www.tampabaysports.org/information/archive_news/2013/pressTBTHiggins060913

It would be a non-traditional hire, that is for sure... but he has familiarity - he's a USF alumnus and former assistant athletic director.

I might be jumping on this bandwagon.  This guy has the type of dynamic personality that get us to the level we aspire and at his age,he will be able to relate to all levels of athletics...players, coaches, students/fans. We really need that kind of energy at USF.   

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,403
  • Days Won:  5

Jim McVay

From 1982-1986, Jim McVay served as the Director of Marketing for the Tampa Bay Bandits of the United States Football League. During that time, he devised the marketing strategies for the most innovative and fan-friendly product in the entire league. Today, McVay serves as the President/CEO of the Outback Bowl, one of the most popular and successful games of the college bowl season

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Just reading about him here and noting his accomplishments Higgins has my vote. We need a breath of fresh air.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I had never heard of him either...

http://www.tampabaysports.org/about/staff_directory/higginsR

http://www.tampabaysports.org/information/archive_news/2013/pressTBTHiggins060913

It would be a non-traditional hire, that is for sure... but he has familiarity - he's a USF alumnus and former assistant athletic director.

I might be jumping on this bandwagon.  This guy has the type of dynamic personality that get us to the level we aspire and at his age,he will be able to relate to all levels of athletics...players, coaches, students/fans. We really need that kind of energy at USF.   

He's certainly worth an interview at least. And without being in that interview, I think it's impossible for any of us to assess his worthiness.

I liked the hiring of Woolard at the time. I liked the hiring of Holtz at the time. Both ended up being major disappointments. I'm going to try and hold off on getting to upset or excited about the next AD until they make their first big hire, be it in basketball or football. But I like what I know about Higgins.

Edited by gobulls83

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

Would like to know this as well. 

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,457
  • Days Won:  19

Jim McVay

From 1982-1986, Jim McVay served as the Director of Marketing for the Tampa Bay Bandits of the United States Football League. During that time, he devised the marketing strategies for the most innovative and fan-friendly product in the entire league. Today, McVay serves as the President/CEO of the Outback Bowl, one of the most popular and successful games of the college bowl season

I am pretty sure Jim McVay makes way more at the Outback Bowl than USF can offer. I want to say 1.5 a year, or something like that.

He was hired under Paul Griffin and as Assistant Athletic Director for either years before being promoted to AD.

http://www.sptimes.com/News/052201/news_pf/Sports/Hall_of_Fame_hire__Se.shtml

Would like to know this as well. 

See above...