• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

Wallace looked awful last week for the Saints. So I don't know he's a lock. However I think it's possible Wallace was signed because otherwise they'd have BJ as the #2 and you do not want an complete unknown behind a QB that runs a lot.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Colt is also the most expensive qb on the roster

This is why he will be cut....

He's also the only backup with game experience so if they are thinking about releasing him, that could be why the interest in Wallace. I don't think many teams go into the reg season with zero experience at the backup qb positions.

Jim Harbaugh has already went into the season without experienced backup QBs two years ago with Kaepernick and Tolzien backing up then starter Alex Smith. Harbaugh would do it again if need be. I think Jim wants mobile QBs backing up Kaep so just in case if something happens to him(GOD I hope not) the offense doesn't have to change. Tolzien and McCoy are basically the same QB, both with weak arms and prone to break under pressure. No need to keep both. Also a problem the 49ers are having is it's a big risk to try and sneak Daniels unto the practice squad now, without some team claiming him off waivers first. Harbaugh really had no intention of playing Daniels in a preseason game at QB, because he didn't want others teams to get a look at him. However McCoy and Tolzien have been so bad that Harbaugh was forced to play Daniels at QB thus putting his talent on display.

If BJ looks good Sunday night then he's making the 53man regular season roster. A 7th round pick that can be molded into a NFL #2 QB is extremely valuable in a sport with a tight salary cap.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I know we only get to see the live game action as fans, but practice means a lot too. What I'm saying is if BJ gets in this weekend, it probably won't make or break him.

Harbaugh probably has an idea of what he's going to do, especially after signing Wallace.

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

Here's the thing about Daniels...SKIP HAD NO CLUE HOW TO MAXIMIZE HIS POTENTIAL.  Also doesn't help BJ received little to no help fine tuning the finer points of being a QB.  He has all the tools to be a serviceable NFL QB in an offense that plays to a mobile QB.  I like his chances over McCoy and T bc if you're going to run an offense built off of mobility at QB, then all 3 QBs should be Mobile.  Harbaugh gets this as much as Skip did not.  I'm not saying he's going to come in and light the league on fire, I don't think he will as he's still a little on the short side which will cost him reading some patterns, HOWEVER, there's no reason he couldn't have a lengthy career as a backup QB just like you've seen with Seneca Wallace.  Same type of guy.  Not much of a passer, but if your QB goes down, he can move the chains enough to spell the defense who can keep shutting down an opposing offense with the occasional drive to get that one to two FGs late to have a chance to pull it out.  One thing about Mobile QBs is they RUN CLOCK.  Everything you want out of a backup if you're on a team like SF where their Defense has shut down capability.  That kind of team can make a 10 point lead look insurmountable if they can eat just a few minutes per possession after that point.

If he had gone about anywhere else, I would've bet the house he didn't make an NFL roster, especially at QB.  When he went to SF, the odds easily went 50-50.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

One thing for sure, B.J. has heart; the man never gives up on a play.

You want that in your QB.

I bet that alone gives him an edge. Yeah, a lot of people have heart but not at B.J.'s level.

Edited by Beta4East1989

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I never get tired of watching this play!

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Let's all relax. Hasn't made the team yet. Big opportunity tonight.

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

BJ is a class act. I met him one time after his  last injury. Nice young man....even if I were not a big Niner fan....I would find it hard mot to root for him.

He is the featured interview this week on the Niner site

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Weeky-Conversation-BJ-Daniels/6bc8d155-80dc-4e08-b1e8-59113821f12b

Edited by footnfan1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63