• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Paul Gonella new recruiting coordinator at USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I love how specific this sounds. Gonnella was a big p/u from UA. Adds what he knows to what CWT wants.

March 20, 2013

Steve Berrey
RunningtheBulls.com Publisher

As spring football got underway Wednesday, one member of the coaching staff wasn't focused on running drills and evaluating the current players.

His job is to evaluate the next Bulls. To find the right kids that will fit the system being run by the new administration.

Runningthebulls.com sat down with USF's new recruiting coordinator, Paul Gonnella.

Gonnella comes to the Bulls staff fresh off a national championship season with the Alabama Crimson Tide, so one might wonder why he would leave Tuscaloosa for Tampa - but Gonnella sees this as a chance to build something special.

"Last year was a great learning experience with Alabama i got to work with a great staff there with a great head coach (Nick Saban)," Gonnella said. "Going through changes now with the recruiting rules. They were going to change my duties a bit. I started to look around a bit and when I got to talk to coach (Willie Taggart)- this was a no-brainer."

Gonnella liked the chance to rebuild the USF program with Taggart, and leave his mark.

"Coach wants it done a certain way and we're starting at square one," he said. "That was a big thing for me - because I can really have my thumbprint on the recruiting process here."

The first order of business for the new recruiting guru was to create an all-new system of evaluation process for each USF recruit.

"We have to make sure we're looking at the right kids. We need to be able to do this better than anyone else," Gonnella said of the new evaluation process. "We want to evaluate kids based on the right skills for each position."

"We want to see how each player can show the position specific skills that we're looking for."

"Then we have to find the right kids," he continued. "Our full time staff, the nine assistant coaches - we are not going to give any out-of-state areas to. Their sole focus is the state of Florida."

"With such a deep amount of talent in this state and we don't want to miss anybody in the state. We're really going to concentrate on the I-4 corridor and Tampa."

If that vaguely sounds familiar, think legendary Miami coach Howard Schnellenberger, who came to the school with a football program on the brink of being disbanded. He declared the 'state of Miami' and heavily recruited the talent-rich base - winning a national championship in the process and establishing 'The U' as a dynasty program.

Something both Taggart and Gonnella are focused on for USF.

We'll continue our look at the recruiting process next week.

http://www.usf.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1486189

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Pick 'em up, set 'em down. Pick 'em up, set 'em down. Again. Again. Again.

THAT's how you move forward. Step at a time. Relentless.

LOCK down those players.

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,421
  • Days Won:  3

Great post...There is hope...

Thanks

GoBulls

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

This is great!

I have always felt that winning on the field starts with recruiting. We've been faltering for quite some time now.

Time to get back to the good old days of USF recruiting!

• Topic Count:  9,893
  • Content Count:  66,048
  • Days Won:  172

at least he talks a good game

none of the prior regimes spoke like that

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Great read. Certainly peaked my interest when I first read he came from A.