• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jimmy Bayes - 2014 Athlete - Immokalee

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Yeah, this recruiting class has pretty much killed any enthusiasm I had for recruiting. I won't really consider a recruit potentially "committed" until the week before signing day.

Why? It's overall a good class.

I think he's referring to the two kids GA mentioned then AW and JoJo kemp

His response was weirdly worded if that's what he was referring to, but one has to understand why someone would decommit from USF after the year we had.  Looked like we were going nowhere.  I do agree that I don't consider anyone committed yet, but it's not till the fax is received that they are "committed."  

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  3

Big kid that the staff obviously likes.  Hopefully he has the grades and keeps up the hard work and becomes a steal, and stays a Bull!

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Should we really take a committment this early?

All the bigger schools do. That's how they build momentum.

I'd love to get some early verbals from elite players in TAMPA, to get the ball really rolling. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

This WR is already 6'3"/185lbs with offers from the B1G/SEC, so yes. All the major schools are already getting commits for the 2014 season.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Yeah, this recruiting class has pretty much killed any enthusiasm I had for recruiting. I won't really consider a recruit potentially "committed" until the week before signing day.

Why? It's overall a good class.

I think he's referring to the two kids GA mentioned then AW and JoJo kemp

His response was weirdly worded if that's what he was referring to, but one has to understand why someone would decommit from USF after the year we had.  Looked like we were going nowhere.  I do agree that I don't consider anyone committed yet, but it's not till the fax is received that they are "committed."  

I think it was an academic issue with both those early verbals. I believe we had stopped recruiting one of them very early in the season.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Why would a recruit even THINK about committing now for 2014?

Is he afraid he's going to get so badly injured next fall he'll never play ball again, and wants the schollie as insurance?

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

All the bigger schools do. That's how they build momentum.

I'd love to get some early verbals from elite players in TAMPA, to get the ball really rolling. 

This

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  126
  • Days Won:  0

Why would a recruit even THINK about committing now for 2014?

Is he afraid he's going to get so badly injured next fall he'll never play ball again, and wants the schollie as insurance?

That could be a possibility. If he does not get injured he can always decommitt and move on. If he does get injured and the school pulls his scholarship, the school is who looks bad not you as the recruit. IMO it's a pretty smart move.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

Big kid that the staff obviously likes. Hopefully he has the grades and keeps up the hard work and becomes a steal, and stays a Bull!

The offer from Vandy should erase any grade concerns.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Just so everyone knows the recruiting calendar.

September 1 (might be october) of a player's junior year is the earliest that he can be extended an official (written) offer. Signing day is 17 months later (first Wednesday in February). That's a long time to hold a commitment but not uncommon at bigger programs.

In this case we'll have to hold him for abut a year. We have not had a lot of success at kids who commit real early.

Jarred Fayson committed before his junior year but was poached by UF.

Brion Carnes committed the fall of his junior year but with the coaching change to Holtz he ended up at Nebraska.

As for why they commit, and we accept, offers so early there's a multitude of reasons. Usually those junior year offers are the best of the best, guys who are clearly the top athletes. They are the staffs' first choices. If those kids commit you take it because you would not have offered them otherwise. For the kid it is a way to secure a spot while still looking around if they are inclined.

All things being equal I would rather take a commitment this early and hope to stave people off than be chasing as part of the pack. Does the kid end up in the class? Who knows.