• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Willie Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

I think this guy may be #1 on my list right now. His local hero status alone seems to be helping his recruiting abilities with the FL kids currently....getting them to middle-of-nowhere, KY. His overall win/loss record isn't pretty, but WKU was making transition from FCS to FBS, endured ~23 game losing streak at one point (including losses to USF away and home). Seems like a young, energetic guy, but sideline demeanor seems Dungy-like, very collected. Only downsides are if this is his best team so far, still was beaten by the likes of Gus Malzahn at Arkansas State, and one or both of the Louisiana teams.

I think he could be a very solid option, low risk, high reward type if we can get him without breaking the bank. Only thing is, we'd have to do that early, because the other schools said to be targeting him can pony up too.

I think the only real competition for him would have been Kentucky and they landed a Stoops ...

For the most part, yes. I thought he might get a slight look at NC State, but that job has been filled. Only other spots I could see him even getting consideration might be Purdue (whom seems to always offer a ton of FL recruits and may like him just enough - and his proximity to recruit the Kentucky/Indiana area). He's not yet ready for a real SEC job (yes, I went there, UK), and I don't see him running away to BC or UTEP, or taking essentially a lateral move to NIU or WMU.

So far, the best news is that two of the coaching vacancies have been filled by coordinators (Stoops at UK and Paul Petrino to Idaho). It's very promising that if USF wants Taggart, I think he's all ours for the taking.

Edit - yes i do know that Butch Jones at Cincy interviewed for Purdue...other than the promise of stability and the challenge, I can't see why he's really take that job...it's a lateral move on so many levels - even with Cincinnati not knowing their conference future.

Edited by Danm1983

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,427
  • Days Won:  3

Taggart is a High School Tampa Legend. (Very important city connection)

Charismatic but tough

Amazing recruiter.

Turned the worst program in the nation to a constant winner.

Beat Kentucky (huge deal against a rival):

I'm sold.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Corey Long †@ CoreyLong

Couple of HS coaches I talked to tonight seemed to be hopeful that Taggart would get the USF job.

Corey Long †@ CoreyLong

One of them said that if Taggart were hired USF would be "a player for every top prospect from Tampa to Naples."

This is why Taggert is a huge deal.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Corey Long †@ CoreyLong

Couple of HS coaches I talked to tonight seemed to be hopeful that Taggart would get the USF job.

Corey Long †@ CoreyLong

One of them said that if Taggart were hired USF would be "a player for every top prospect from Tampa to Naples."

+1. I took a look at their roster, loaded with FL guys. Not 4 star recruits, but loaded none the less. I think he could do some serious recruiting if he had a USF polo on.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

Corey Long †@ CoreyLong

Corey Long †@ CoreyLong

get it done

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Recruiting and coaching are two different things....

Hire him as a coordinator...

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  936
  • Days Won:  1

I like his enthusiasm!

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Could be a good hire sort of reminds me of Raheem Morris...he just needs to make sure he has good quality OC and DC around him and I would

be fine with this hire.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  208
  • Days Won:  1

Recruiting and coaching are two different things....

Hire him as a coordinator...

He is a good game day coach, still developing to an extent but that has as much to do with the state of WKU when he took over as anything else. Maybe more important than his recruiting abilities, he does an exceptional job developing talent.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

apparently one of the WKU players said something like "Taggart might be leaving"