• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Group plans $400 million stadium to lure Major League Soccer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,681
  • Days Won:  14

Seems like they would be better off leasing Ray Jay. Most of the other MLS teams share an NFL stadium because they're only used a few times per year.

If you read the article, they say that won't work because no one wants to play in a half empty stadium. (Same is true with respect to USF, IMHO.)

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251

This is never happening. I guarantee it's some yoke dream, that gets talked about, but never gets off the ground.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Seems like they would be better off leasing Ray Jay. Most of the other MLS teams share an NFL stadium because they're only used a few times per year.

Not a single MLS team shares a stadium with and NFL team.

Not true... Seattle and New England share with the Seawhaks and Patriots.

That said, going forward MLS is requiring SSS for all of it's new teams.

Also, Seattle routinely draws 60k for their games so their stadium is full anyways.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

This is never happening. I guarantee it's some yoke dream, that gets talked about, but never gets off the ground.

Don't be so sure.

Don't be so sure.

No location. No plans for funding. No guaranteed team. So much to be hammered out.

Just too much left to do.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044

I guarantee you that in the next five years either Tampa or Orlando will have an MLS team with a soccer specific stadium either built or in the process.

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

http://www2.tbo.com/...400m-ar-578282/

Mitchell's group has invited local political and business leaders to the Tampa Club, atop the Bank of America building downtown, for the official unveiling of VSI Tampa's plan — a 28,888-seat stadium with a retractable roof, a $50 million soccer academy and a $250 million sports medicine center.

^^ Maybe we need to get in on this deal and split a 50-50 deal with them for this stadium

6a00d8341bfa1853ef010535d2dc55970b-800wi.jpg

Soccer is NEVER going to take off in this nation... let alone in Tampa.

Its obvious that these people must be working for the Joker since they have money to burn on this crap. They also must not understand how to read because RayJay was built to accommodate major league soccer.

With that said, since these people are obviously fools USF should approach them and see if they will build it on our campus so our soccer team can benefit from it, and make it so that the stadium can be easily changed over for real football. would be a cheap and easy way to get an OCS for football.

Of course we would need more then 28K in seating... I think 40K should do the trick.

• Downvote 1

I guarantee you that in the next five years either Tampa or Orlando will have an MLS team with a soccer specific stadium either built or in the process.

Could happen, but a $400 million complex? The economy is rebounding, but reading the article they have no solid ground for funding. Plans like this pop up all the time.

Planning or announcing without funding is usually a fatal wound. In the end they'll fall short, beg the county/city, and see where they can go from there)

(Done plenty of work/research on funding for pro sports stadiums)

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,681

I really wish people would read the article and visit their website before forming an opinion.

1. The new stadium will only be a soccer specific stadium. MLS has made it clear that any expansion franchise will have to have a SSS. If you look at the recent stadiums and expansion franchises for the MLS this is quite evident.

2. The SSS they are designing starts at 28k for the pro team... it's also being build to be expandable to 40k+ if they can secure a MLS expansion.

USF will not be playing in this stadium.

Dude, this is USF Bulls board for crying out loud, not an appellate argument. I haven't researched every angle. Don't have time for that, unlike you (apparently). But conceptually it makes more sense to share such large facilities that sit unused for most of the year. Soccer would occur in the summer, CFB in the fall. If that's MLS' position that it MUST be a SSS, fair enough, but I remember last year lots of talk about Villanova possibly sharing a new stadium with the Philly soccer team. If MLS doesn't allow, as a matter of practice, shared use of their stadiums, then why would that even be a possibility? More likely there's greater flexibility than you suggest (based upon your online research of their web site).

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442

http://www2.tbo.com/...400m-ar-578282/

Mitchell's group has invited local political and business leaders to the Tampa Club, atop the Bank of America building downtown, for the official unveiling of VSI Tampa's plan — a 28,888-seat stadium with a retractable roof, a $50 million soccer academy and a $250 million sports medicine center.

^^ Maybe we need to get in on this deal and split a 50-50 deal with them for this stadium

6a00d8341bfa1853ef010535d2dc55970b-800wi.jpg

Soccer is NEVER going to take off in this nation... let alone in Tampa.

Its obvious that these people must be working for the Joker since they have money to burn on this crap. They also must not understand how to read because RayJay was built to accommodate major league soccer.

With that said, since these people are obviously fools USF should approach them and see if they will build it on our campus so our soccer team can benefit from it, and make it so that the stadium can be easily changed over for real football. would be a cheap and easy way to get an OCS for football.

Of course we would need more then 28K in seating... I think 40K should do the trick.

How do you even function sometimes?

1. WE HAVE A SOCCER SPECIFIC STADIUM ON CAMPUS THAT IS PERFECT FOR WHAT WE NEED. It's considered one of the best in the country.

2. I have some people in Portland, Seattle and New York that you need to talk to. If you don't think an MLS team can succeed here with the right setup you're uneducated or delusional.