• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Cameron Fraser OL Central High Phenix City, AL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

PREP FOOTBALL: SUPER 8 SENIORS: Fraser overcoming late start to football career

By: Jason Galloway | Opelika-Auburn News

Published: August 21, 2012 Updated: August 21, 2012 - 8:23 PM

Size can mean everything in football.

It wins the line of scrimmage, devastates the draft stock of particular NFL rookies and — like in the case of Cameron Fraser — keeps certain kids from playing the sport all together.

Fraser, unlike most who suffer from having the wrong dimensions, was too big as a kid growing up in Tampa.

“In Florida, in your age group you’ve got to weigh a certain amount,†said Fraser, who moved to Phenix City before his ninth-grade year. “I was always too heavy, so I never could play.â€

Thanks to his love for basketball, he didn’t harp on his misfortune for long.

But when Woodrow Lowe took the head coaching job at Central and realized a 6-foot-2, 220-pound ninth grader was roaming the halls and not the practice field, it didn’t take long before Fraser was out trying to learn the sport he’d always wanted to play.

A little more than two years have passed since, and aside from being four inches taller and 60 pounds heavier, the offensive tackle has 15 college football scholarships offers and enters the 2012 season as the leader of a Red Devils team coming off a region title and Class 6A semifinal appearance.

“I always thought I’d go to school for basketball,†said Fraser, who committed to South Florida in June but also has offers from Arkansas and Ole Miss. “When the first couple offers came in, it was sort of like a shell-shock… Football is my calling. I’m way better in football, and I like it more.â€

That wasn’t always the case for one of the Opelika-Auburn News’ 2012 Super 8 Seniors.

Even with his size — now an advantage — being thrown up against other high school kids who had been playing football their entire lives was a bit overwhelming for Fraser at first.

“Most of them already knew how to line up and everything, and I was still trying to get in a stance,†Fraser said. “It took me a while.

I know my 10th grade year I really wanted to quit, but Coach Lowe and Coach (Matt) Bell kept pushing me to keep playing and keep working and working and getting better.

“The transition summer to my 11th-grade year, I went to some camps and did real good, and I was like, ‘Ok, I guess I can do this.’ And then 11th-grade year, it just kind of took off from there.â€

Now, Fraser has a three-star rating on all major recruiting sites and has been ranked as one of the state’s top 25 players by rivals.com and 247sports.com to go along with his 15 scholarship offers.

“He is an amazing prospect, and I think he’s been a good leader so far,†Lowe said. “He’s a kid that’s found his niche in this game, and the room for improvement is staggering. He still has tremendous potential. The sky’s the limit.â€

Fraser’s commitment to South Florida hasn’t exactly been the most reassuring pledge.

He’s still entertaining other offers and interest from SEC and ACC schools.

“If Georgia and Clemson come through (with offers), then there’s a very high possibility (my commitment changes),†Fraser said. “I love South Florida, don’t get me wrong, but playing in the SEC and playing in the Big East — that’s two totally different things. I have a better chance of coming in and starting as a freshman at South Florida, but then in the SEC I think they could take me longer into the league, which is where I want to go.â€

NFL aspirations were something Fraser thought wouldn’t have been plausible just a short time ago, before he ever played a snap of football.

Now that his size isn’t holding him back, he only keeps getting better.

“It was something that just grew on me, and eventually I was like, ‘Wow, I’m pretty good at this,’†Fraser said. “And then I just fell in love with the game.

“It was kind of difficult, but I just kept fighting, kept pushing and overcame.â€

http://www2.oanow.com/sports/2012/aug/21/prep-football-super-8-seniors-fraser-overcoming-la-ar-4385761/

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  150
  • Days Won:  1

Bullwinkle telling us Fraser can go to hell for talking about the SEC in 3 2 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  242

Retract the offer yesterday. I want bulls because they wanted to be bulls. Not because they couldnt go anywhere else. We arent your parents usf bulls, ask your SEC brethren Auburn.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

I'm sure the staff is on top of this and if there comes a fish or cut bait time, they'll react accordingly .... The kid's not getting very good advice from those closest to him. Honesty is not always the best policy.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Clemson is in the sec?

It's a done deal .... Announcement in September.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

Clemson is in the sec?

It's a done deal .... Announcement in September.

start the rumor mill up, he spilled it :D

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  242

Clemson is in the sec?

I was referring to the fact that he mentioned UGA and then went on to say how the SEC is a different level of football

Clemson is in the sec?

I was referring to the fact that he mentioned UGA and then went on to say how the SEC is a different level of football

I know. The kid said things would change if he received an offer from uga or Clemson because playing in the sec is better.

My question is if playing in the sec is better why hasn't he committed to ole miss or ark if he has offers from them? It's one thing to enjoy the process, but it's another thing to keep crapping on the school you're committed to every time someone asks you a question about them.