• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Just.. Bravo

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  924
  • Days Won:  1

the tears! great post

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Clemson BOT issued statement through it's chair David Wilkins. It reads like a the informative Paul Simon song "30 ways to leave your conference". Like someone said to me "if you were to go on TV and say, "I love my wife, but if someone cute came along and made me an offer I couldn't refuse...." you might want to sleep with one eye open.

“If we were contacted by a conference, we would obviously listen to what they had to say,†Wilkins said. “And then we would make a reasonable decision. We aren’t seeking that, and we aren’t making any overtures about that. I think we have a responsibility to consider any viable component that would come our way. But we haven’t been contacted by anybody. We just want Clemson athletics to be the best they can be. This board is committed to Clemson athletics.â€

http://www.tigernet.com/view/story.do?id=10631

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

At least they were direct and honest about it

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,505
  • Days Won:  422

At least they were direct and honest about it

Seems like that should be the canned statement all of them would give ... until they announce they're moving.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

Clemson BOT issued statement through it's chair David Wilkins. It reads like a the informative Paul Simon song "30 ways to leave your conference". Like someone said to me "if you were to go on TV and say, "I love my wife, but if someone cute came along and made me an offer I couldn't refuse...." you might want to sleep with one eye open.

“If we were contacted by a conference, we would obviously listen to what they had to say,†Wilkins said. “And then we would make a reasonable decision. We aren’t seeking that, and we aren’t making any overtures about that. I think we have a responsibility to consider any viable component that would come our way. But we haven’t been contacted by anybody. We just want Clemson athletics to be the best they can be. This board is committed to Clemson athletics.â€

http://www.tigernet....ory.do?id=10631

Translation: We would like to be approached, but we don't want to directly contact you. We prefer you take on the liability of a conference falling apart.

I wonder where ESPN will end up in all of this. They do have part of the Big XII under contract, but not all of the games - I think they have tier 1. They have all the ACC. If the ACC dissolves and cannot honor its contract because the Big XII picks off some teams, would they sue them while also still airing their games? Could be a genius ploy by ESPN to increase their payouts and then sue to get some money back.

It's still a question of it is stays at just two teams leaving. My guess is the B1G sees the big money deals that the lower rated BXII is getting and wants more. Adding more teams gets that done and grabbing UVA and UNC or Maryland and UNC also lets them meet academic standards. I'm not sure B1G will go beyond 14 unless UNC dictates that Duke must come along - and I'm not sure they would.

VT and NC State probably would go SEC, with VT being the main prize in that package for them. So the ACC could be down to 6 or 8 teams, depending. Could be as few as four.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I have no idea why any conference would want 14 teams. Scheduling becomes all kinds of weird. It makes more sense and is more symmetrical to have 16 or even 18 teams. With 16 you can have two nice divisions of eight teams each, or go to pods of four each. Either way you can improve scheduling, especially in the non-football sports.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

http://www.tigernet....ory.do?id=10631

I wonder where ESPN will end up in all of this. They do have part of the Big XII under contract, but not all of the games - I think they have tier 1. They have all the ACC. If the ACC dissolves and cannot honor its contract because the Big XII picks off some teams, would they sue them while also still airing their games? Could be a genius ploy by ESPN to increase their payouts and then sue to get some money back.

What ESPN has come to realize is that through this process they can jettison some under performing products(Big East and ACC lower tier teams) and move the premium product into vehicles where they can offer them nice increases in annual payouts while reducing their overall payout and freezing out potential competitors. I'm not saying that they are excellently performing this Machiavellian feat, but they are definitely reading the tea leaves each day and strategizing the next set of moves. I mean these guys have Billions of dollars riding on this and they know they better not screw it up.ESPN made a very public statement the other day they talked about a composition clause that is standard in their contracts. In other words the minute the BE or ACC loses a team, their contract is subject to renegotiation. Boom goes the dynamite. Two scenarios, the Big East loses a ton of it's negotiating leverage because they lose teams to the ACC, or the ACC collapses when the BE picks over the scraps by offering a windfall in their new TV deal. Either way, ESPN saves money and captures the premium content market.