• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

http://www.gregswaim.com/2012/05/politics-of-conference-realignment/

Politics of Conference Realignment

by Greg Swaim on May 24, 2012 with 0 Comments in College Basketball News , College Football News , College Sports , Radio

It was widely assumed just over a month ago that if the Big 12 were to raid any ACC teams it would happen after new commisioner Bob Bowlsby took office, but it looks like most of the raiding could be wrapped up before then…at least unofficially, and with good reason.

No conference wants to look like they are on the prowl, and with outgoing interim commissioner Chuck Neinas passing over the reigns in June, it looks like the Big 12 could add a team or two by that time.

This is great for Bowlsby, as he won’t look like the bad guy and he’ll only have to deal with the small details of which division each team plays in…if that.

When we told you back in late January that Florida State and Clemson were talking with the Big 12 through third parties, we were called quite a few names…the least of which were “not credible†and the worst of which aren’t printable, but we had great sources at both school and the Big 12 who were willing to talk off the record, and now the entire country knows these talks have been going on, despite what schools and the conference are saying publically.

Now several schools within the ACC don’t want to get left out of the BCS picture, and by staying in the ACC or Big East (or independent) the chances of your team playing in the BCS title game appear as slim as “Saturday Night Live†cast member Rachel Dratz winning People Magazine’s Hottest Woman of the Year Award.

Which is exactly why Notre Dame is talking to both the Big 12 and ACC. The Irish have plenty of money, but if they want to ever have the chance of playing in a BCS title game, will need to join one of the so-called “Fab Four†conferences.

As of today it appears that both Florida State and Clemson will soon officially announce they are “exploring options†and will later announce they want out of the ACC. At which point the Big 12 will make a formal offer and the two schools will join the conference for the 2013 football season.

But the SEC isn’t waiting around for the Big 12 or Big Ten to grab all of the good teams left on the shelf, and we fully expect to hear news within the next week or so on Virginia Tech exploring their options ,which would be the SEC. Georgia Tech finally appears to now realize what is going on, and doesn’t want to get left out of the BCS picture (not to mention the big money), and would jump at the SEC. But if they don’t offer could wind up in the Big 12.

And while news is a little harder to come by in the Big Ten, we’ve even been getting some whispers of the conference looking at Boston College (of course Notre Dame) and Rutgers.

Duke and North Carolina are begging North Carolina State to stay, and it looks like the Wolfpack are considering staying in the sinking BCS ship that is indeed the ACC. They could change their minds down the road, but by then it may be too late.

The Pac 12 would love to be in the hunt for some terrific teams that are left, but geography is their biggest enemy. That, and the fact they blew it last fall when they had the chance to take Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, and their academic arrogance kept them from pulling the trigger. Now their aren’t any football powerhouses left west of the Mississippi that would join them, expect for BYU who they won’t take a sniff at.

This thing is happening fast, and it’s indeed like the Titanic. Only a few lifeboats left, and if you aren’t proactive you may get left behind. Even those schools like Louisville and BYU, who have been very proactive, may also get left behind.

Please don’t tell me how great your school has been in women’s soccer or that your equestrian team has been incredible. Once again this picture is only about football, TV markets, and the dollars your school can generate. It’s not even about the distant second sport of basketball, as members of the hoop strong ACC conference are sadly finding out.

There are only so many spots left, and there are no doubt some pretty good programs will be relegated into football obscurity when all of this shakes out.

We’ll talk conference realignment with some great national guests over the next few weeks on the Greg Swaim Show.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Only bad thing about GT is that it captures a very, VERY small amount of the Atlanta market. Make no mistake, this is a UGA state. If marketability is a major factor in this next wave of expansion, GT may have some trouble.

If it's about academics more than anything, then they stand a very good chance. I personally am hoping we either end up in the ACC or merge with those that are left, and I'm hoping GT would still be there - would be great to watch the Bulls play at Bobby Dodd.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Only bad thing about GT is that it captures a very, VERY small amount of the Atlanta market. Make no mistake, this is a UGA state. If marketability is a major factor in this next wave of expansion, GT may have some trouble.

If it's about academics more than anything, then they stand a very good chance. I personally am hoping we either end up in the ACC or merge with those that are left, and I'm hoping GT would still be there - would be great to watch the Bulls play at Bobby Dodd.

True, but it's not like Oklahoma State really pulls much market in the shadow of OU. At least Texas Tech has the entire west side of the state and New Messico to pull from, and Baylor has its own little following.

A source that some on here don't believe thinks that GT has surpassed Clemson on the B12 list of desireable schools.

Even while not true, that is hilarious. Love to watch Clemson fail.

True, but it's not like Oklahoma State really pulls much market in the shadow of OU. At least Texas Tech has the entire west side of the state and New Messico to pull from, and Baylor has its own little following.

Seems like Okie State has had big brother OU taking them where they need to go. It's a moot point anyway because those two schools are already in the B12 and that conference looks to be in great shape moving forward. Same with TT and Baylor, both of whom have seen recent success because of great or even transcendent coaches and players.

Market consideration is really only worth talking about when it comes to the candidates for the conferences that *might be* expanding soon.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,463
  • Days Won:  422

Now the Texas AD is saying they aren't expanding, unless it's Notre Dame and Texas controls everything. This **** is stupid... I'm not going to pay attention to these rumors/blogs/ESPN/CBS articles anymore until something actually happens (or doesn't). This is my last one.

Per Brett: Texas AD not for expanding, but admits courting Notre Dame

http://www.cbssports...murphy/19124774

Have you actually read the article? McMurphy puts his "I missed this story" stamp on it while misquoting what Dodds actually said.

the title reads

Texas AD not for expanding, but admits courting Notre Dame

The text says

"I don't think it needs to expand," Dodds told CBSSports.com's Dennis Dodd. "It certainly can expand because there will be people that will want to be a part of it. That's another good thing.".

heck, I don't need to go do down to the local pub and flirt with the girls there, but I sure like doing it. And....

"We could expand to some number," Dodds said. "You name the number -- 12, 14, 16. We could expand but the question is 'do we need to expand?' In my mind, 10 is perfect because you play everybody in football and there is a double-round-robin in basketball.

This directly contradicts what The Human BM says in the Title. Want to talk about irresponsible journalism, this is the ridiculous example that proves the point. You can't really be quoting BM to argue this point, can you?

Um, nothing you quoted there contradicts what Dodds said in the title. Title said he's not for expanding and what you quoted supports that .....

He says it twice in the same sentence "We could expand" . God almighty are you guys in denial??? And Dodds said absolutely nothing that was quoted in the title, that was pure McMurphy.

Obviously there were parts of the interview you must not have seen so I helped you a little bit. Not sure how much clearer Dodds could make it. I don't know if BM makes his own headlines but the headline is accurate about expansion.

I actually referenced those parts of the article in an earlier post. Just because he say we don't need to expand doesn't mean he isn't doing it. And again, Dodds is NOT quoted in the title, pure McMurphy.As well, he negates his need comment right away with, "we could expand" He is so obviously hedging and I am really sorry you guys can't see it.Even in the Title, Dodds for NOT expanding, but still trying to get ND to join. Maybe if i tell my GF, I'm not for cheating, but I am doing it anyway. Think that'll fly?

Nobody said Dodds was quoted in the headline, just that what the headline said his current thoughts on expansion were was validated in the article. The big blue letters says it all. I believe your problem is not really understanding how Dodds uses "can" and "could" in the article. Read it one more time and I'm sure you'll get it .... and this is kind of why we would like everyone to link where they're getting their "information" from. Interpretations can vary widely ...

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

GT would raise the GPA of the Ivy league. :)

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

What time is the Clemson BOT meeting?

They started at 4 according to rumors currently circulating.

The likely response to the BOT meeting:

http://tuxedoyoda.bl...tonight-if.html

Bill, that's the best link you've posted yet. Right on.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  0

The likely response to the BOT meeting:

http://tuxedoyoda.bl...tonight-if.html

Any link that starts off with an image from Parks and Rec is an automatic winner.