• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

Yeah, but realistically how often could someone outside of the top four conferences get into the Top 4 rankings? The BCS system to this point "included" the little guy because they had four, then five bowls. That means a little guy only had to crack the top 8 or so. Pretty near impossible, but they managed it a couple of times. Now they've reduced the number of slots back down to four. Then the most exclusive bowls will once again freeze out the little guy, since they won't have to pick teams by a system anymore.

What the big schools have done is placated the masses while tightening the grip on the big money. Brilliant, from their perspective.

I agree that they are consolidating power and money into three games instead of five, and four schools (most likely 100% from the BigBoy conferences) rather than 10 schools (where 10-20% might be outsiders).

Still, an undefeated outsider (ACC/BigEast) could get to the Top 4. Maybe easier than the current need to get to the Top 2 (I don't drool anymore over a Sugar Bowl appearance, and so the BCS "consolation prize" has been losing its luster). These bowls may still exist, although the payout will likely be less. If it's a championship playoff you want, the new system isn't really much different for USF's title hopes as long as we remain in a viable conference (ACC/BigEast merger)

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

That's the thing. All this talk about VT and UNC, etc is all sourceless speculation.

LOL. Less than a week ago, people were saying the same about FSU and Clemson. There is absolutely no doubt the Viriginia and NC schools are talking to anyone who will listen.

Not really...once the FSU trustee came out, FSU's intentions were well known. That is when the story blew up.

And an hour before that, people were saying that FSU leaving the ACC was ridiculous. Then the FSU president sent out his email, and everyone said "See FSU isn't going anywhere."

It wasn't three days ago that Chad Scott from CBSports was tweeting that FSU leaving the ACC was a bunch of garbage tossed against the wall by bloggers and tweeters.

There are more moves coming and VT will be in the thick of it. Why on earth would they want to stay in the ACC minus FSU and Clemson?

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

We're definitely getting way ahead of ourselves here - FSU's president seems to be arguing in favor of staying the ACC - see the latest statement here:

http://espn.go.com/c...n-acc-alignment

With the president of the university in favor of staying put, it's hard to fathom FSU making a move at this point.

He's just the PC mouth piece.... too many people at FSU are talking for this to not happen....

Who else is talking? Spetman hasn't said anything about meeting with them (I am curious if he really was on a plane to Dallas the other night). Haggard got his facts mixed up and has backed away from his earlier comments. Jimbo has no say in the matter, so what he thinks is irrelevant.

So who else at FSU is talking about this being a done deal? Name names or post sources, please.

Just about everyone at the school. I do believe there is still a freshman in the dorms who is skeptical, though. Edited by Bullwinkle

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

That's the thing. All this talk about VT and UNC, etc is all sourceless speculation.

LOL. Less than a week ago, people were saying the same about FSU and Clemson. There is absolutely no doubt the Viriginia and NC schools are talking to anyone who will listen.

Not really...once the FSU trustee came out, FSU's intentions were well known. That is when the story blew up.

And an hour before that, people were saying that FSU leaving the ACC was ridiculous. Then the FSU president sent out his email, and everyone said "See FSU isn't going anywhere."

It wasn't three days ago that Chad Scott from CBSports was tweeting that FSU leaving the ACC was a bunch of garbage tossed against the wall by bloggers and tweeters.

There are more moves coming and VT will be in the thick of it. Why on earth would they want to stay in the ACC minus FSU and Clemson?

And today Chadd was retweeting his colleague, who is saying that it is "inevitable". I asked him, how he liked his crow prepared.Funny no answer. Kind of like a few posters here. Edited by Bullwinkle

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  0

These latest developments certainly have the makings of the final wave of change... These are some BIG dominoes about to fall!! Hold on tight folks, this ride will not be for the faint of heart...

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

I don't see the four big-boy conferences making an exclusive playoff system where only their members are eligible (anti-trust stuff would resurface).

Yeah, but realistically how often could someone outside of the top four conferences get into the Top 4 rankings? The BCS system to this point "included" the little guy because they had four, then five bowls. That means a little guy only had to crack the top 8 or so. Pretty near impossible, but they managed it a couple of times. Now they've reduced the number of slots back down to four. Then the most exclusive bowls will once again freeze out the little guy, since they won't have to pick teams by a system anymore.

What the big schools have done is placated the masses while tightening the grip on the big money. Brilliant, from their perspective.

They included the little guy because they had to. The BCS system has equal votes between all conferences, whether they are AQ or not. They need it for political cover. As I've said repeatedly, the NCAA bylaws allow the NCAA to grant or remove powers from conferences. Too many unsatisfied D1 schools and they can remove bowl rights, TV rights, etc from the conferences and schools. I doubt they would ever go so far as to remove the TV rights, but they can do a lot of things.

I think any future system will keep the door open for lesser conferences to get in - and may eventually have a guaranteed spot as they do right now. I think there will necessarily be conferences that are tiered and a slightly lower standard for a MAC team, for instance, to get in. It's all speculation right now.

I seriously doubt that four conferences will dominate outright - and if they do in the rankings then I expect changes just as we saw the BCS change over time to accommodate the non-AQ teams. They may hope to avoid that by removing the AQ, but then the issue of bias in the polls and the possibility of the SEC, B1G, etc avoiding scheduling teams to pad the ratings.

Unfortunately, we won't arrive at a system where most of the conference champs get to play in a playoff. This would take us to a place where conference alignment is not as significant, which is the case in the FCS. Of course, big TV deals don't exist down there either.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Given that TV contracts, mostly provided by ESPN, are driving this entire phenomenon, I remain uncertain exactly why ESPN would WANT these changes to happen. Rather than condense its live-only programming into only big-name schools versus big-name schools, shouldn't they prefer to fill more channels at more time slots with big-name schools versus smaller schools? I would think having the big-name schools spread out over more conferences would draw more eyes per unit time than fewer time slots taken up by bigger matchups in fewer, condensed major conferences. There's only a certain number of commercial time slots available per broadcast. I imagine bigger match-ups in condensed conferences would draw more eyes, but suspect that far fewer in total would watch than two separate games with those two big-name schools each playing a smaller-name school in separate conferences.

And

WHY hasn't anyone in the major media outlets called out ESPN for indirectly (or directly, if you're a conspiracy theorist) causing this entire mess of conference realignment in college football, which continues to break up college football traditions and rivalries?! ESPN is completely trashing the class in college football over time thanks to constant, syndicated re

ports of every player disciplined, every problem at every school, every rumor substantiated with "un-named sources" (whatever happened to responsible journalism?), and providing incentives for schools to leave honor and loyalty in the dust to follow the all-powerful dollar (among other things). I liked it better before the desperate scuffle for a few extra bucks in the next conference's TV contract. /end of rant.

Edited by FazaUSF

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

And today Chadd was retweeting his colleague, who is saying that it is "inevitable". I asked him, how he liked his crow prepared.Funny no answer. Kind of like a few posters here.

That is totally different than everyone speculating how and where the ACC schools are jumping ship to.

There were rumors for a week or so before that. The VT, UNC, etc stuff is all things people are mask saying because they believe the ACC has no choice but to die...which isn't true yet.

That is all I'm saying.

Edited by Joe

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

My question is, Why do people feel that the leaders of USF are NOT trying to get us in a better place?

Did those people ever think that nobody freaking wants us?

Would you rather those leaders say we are looking to get into so and so conference only to be shut out. Contrary to some green and gold "lovers" out there USF is NOT an elite athletics institution. Some would argue it is not an elite academic institution also, but that is another discussion